Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Should a "Product Review" Section be added to the forum?
Yes 55 78.57%
No 15 21.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

Who thinks we need a Product Review Section?

Who thinks it would be beneficial to the group to have a "Product Review" section?

I find actual user reviews a great resource for making purchasing decisions. Especially, when it comes to reliability of a product long term.

As it stands, it is very difficult to locate input\feedback from the forum members on different products and services.

Not sure how we go about urging the forum "leaders" for such changes but it would at least be nice to know who thinks it would or would not benefit the group.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Use the contact link at the bottom of the page. To contact forum admin.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #3

Yes.

We need to be better educated with our purchasing decisions. I know I want to make the smartest decision there can be.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #4

I kind of like the idea, but there would need to be some ground rules. Reviews by their nature are subjective, but most forums are filled with reviews by those people with an axe to grind. You don't necessarily see as much of that on JOF as most here are pretty loyal owners, but it could easily turn into a bash and flame fest.

IMO, reviews certainly should state how long the TT/RV has been owned. I'd much rather hear from a reviewer who has had the unit for a year or two minimum. Not so interested in the gushing reviews from owners who have had the unit for a whole 10 days or so.

What else makes up a good review?
How long the unit is owned
Should cover the interior layout/usability
Main features
Favorite features
Major negatives (everyone makes trade-offs when picking)
Problems/defects encountered
Wear areas, regular maintenance concerns

What else?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I kind of like the idea, but there would need to be some ground rules. Reviews by their nature are subjective, but most forums are filled with reviews by those people with an axe to grind. You don't necessarily see as much of that on JOF as most here are pretty loyal owners, but it could easily turn into a bash and flame fest.

IMO, reviews certainly should state how long the TT/RV has been owned. I'd much rather hear from a reviewer who has had the unit for a year or two minimum. Not so interested in the gushing reviews from owners who have had the unit for a whole 10 days or so.

What else makes up a good review?
How long the unit is owned
Should cover the interior layout/usability
Main features
Favorite features
Major negatives (everyone makes trade-offs when picking)
Problems/defects encountered
Wear areas, regular maintenance concerns

What else?
I was thinking more about after market\third party products. There is so much you have to buy AFTER the purchase of a unit.

i.e. EMS systems, tire pressure monitoring, generators, back up cameras, WDH and SC, chock blocks, leveling pads, tire covers, security systems\anti theft, sinks, faucets, thermostats, torque wrenches, cooking utensils, AV equipment, tools, shower and light fixtures, bedding, mattress, storage containers, water filtration, electrical adapters, water\sewer fittings and hoses, roof repair solutions, applicance upgrades, TV and RV suspension mods\upgrades, etc.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I was thinking more about after market\third party products. There is so much you have to buy AFTER the purchase of a unit.

i.e. EMS systems, tire pressure monitoring, generators, back up cameras, WDH and SC, chock blocks, leveling pads, tire covers, security systems\anti theft, sinks, faucets, thermostats, torque wrenches, cooking utensils, AV equipment, tools, shower and light fixtures, bedding, mattress, storage containers, water filtration, electrical adapters, water\sewer fittings and hoses, roof repair solutions, applicance upgrades, TV and RV suspension mods\upgrades, etc.
X2 what he said. I've used this forum solely for the purchase of those important add-ons since I purchased the TT. There are many opinions and they are all helpful but it sure would have been nice to have them in one place. IMHO, that would make research much easier for the right decision.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #7

It could be helpful, but how would it be organized and managed?

For example, having first-person, hands-on info about a product could help. However, if others then add their differing opinions or what they read somewhere else, wouldn't it just become what we already have?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

My vote is NO, but because there are alternatives.

Reasons for NO?
- Our rigs, needs, locales, personal values, etc. are so diverse that one may question the ROI. Google for reviews and product comparisons or read comments/stars posted on Amazon or other sites.
- There are already sufficient "groups" available from the JOF HOME page to segment assessments relevant to those topics. Not all products apply to all Jayco models.
- When looking to purchase something, by using the JOF Advanced Search function, one finds a plethora of results with recommendations, cautions, and links.

Two alternative suggestions for the JOF:
1) Provide a check-box "filter" beneath the composing of message indicating PRODUCT (yes or no). This could then be easily filtered when using the JOF Search function. In fact, wouldn't it be great to add "key words" for indexing??
2) Publish the COMMUNITY postings with all the other postings so people see them. Then a PRODUCT ASSESSMENT Social Group within the Community section could be easily created and moderated. Right now great things are posted to the Community Social Groups BUT because they don't appear with all the other posts (either in the NEW POSTS section or on right side of page), they have minimal readership. I'm curious how many people have even visited a Community Social Group - guess I'll set-up a survey on that one!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

There are so many products out there, I'm not sure how one would be able to navigate the site.
Most places where products are purchased, like Amazon, CW and others, have user reviews for each product right there which makes it more convenient...I think.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #10

Here is a link to another site that provides product reviews. And they have FAR more product to track then we ever would.

LumberJocks Woodworking Reviews @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community
Attached Thumbnails
Product Review Example.png  
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #11

Some of the reviews on Amazon and other web sites can't be trusted. Amazon has started posting reviews by people who have been given the product for free as along as they promise to post a review. Not the most objective way to do things. I would think that JOF members would give objective, pro-and-con reviews to products of interest to us all.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Who thinks it would be beneficial to the group to have a "Product Review" section?

I find actual user reviews a great resource for making purchasing decisions. Especially, when it comes to reliability of a product long term.

As it stands, it is very difficult to locate input\feedback from the forum members on different products and services.

Not sure how we go about urging the forum "leaders" for such changes but it would at least be nice to know who thinks it would or would not benefit the group.
This would be perfect for a Social Group topic. Why not start one.. call it "Product Reviews" or something like that. The members can use the subject line to name the product (example) "Renogy 100 watt solar panel kit" or "Comfort Zone Portable 1500 watt Heater". Members that have additional information will add a post to it. Make the first product review entry as a guide. Why not start one now. Take a look at some of the social groups and get some ideas... I have the WiFi Extenders and RVing with SOLAR social groups to give you an idea or 2. I have a few products I would post to it.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
This would be perfect for a Social Group topic. Why not start one.. call it "Product Reviews" or something like that. The members can use the subject line to name the product (example) "Renogy 100 watt solar panel kit" or "Comfort Zone Portable 1500 watt Heater". Members that have additional information will add a post to it. Make the first product review entry as a guide. Why not start one now. Take a look at some of the social groups and get some ideas... I have the WiFi Extenders and RVing with SOLAR social groups to give you an idea or 2. I have a few products I would post to it.
Agreed. Check out the Community SOCIAL GROUPS and create one as Don suggested.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
Site Team

That may be a good place to put it. If someone wanted to peruse it looking for a product. I would thing the actual discussions on Jayco models and such would stay on the regular forum.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #15

Yes on product reviews. I could write a book. Would love to see dealer reviews to if not already on here. I have plenty of input on numerous ones.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:16 AM   #16

I would have thought many more would have voted. Last count, there were almost 250 views. Still, a vast majority who did vote support adding a product review section. To be honest, I did not expect so much opposition.

I realize the standard engine that this site runs on probably does not support the more advance features other sites provide. But just having a dedicated section so one can find such reviews seems innocuous enough.

Sorry if I have offended anyone or stepped on anyone's toes. Its just a poll to see how others feel about such a change.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-07-2016, 05:17 AM   #17
Site Team

Just because someone does not respond positively does not mean they don't want it.

Some just don't have strong feelings either way. I can get product reviews many places and when in the market for something, will read them anywhere and everywhere.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #18

I just don't understand the need on this one. A forum, in and of itself, is in essence a multi-layered review site. We all share our knowledge, experience, and opinions on products, brands and properties in a sorted by topic format. How could / would a "product review" section do this any better? I have not yet had to make a purchase decision without already having adequate information available here on the JOF either through an already posted topic or through directly posting a question of my own. I'm predicting a convoluted mess in short order on this one as things would all get lumped together under a generic topic. Be careful what you wish for...

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #19

Another forum with identical format run by same people has this feature, and it is very well used. I personally like it. People come here by the flocks with those "opinions please on this model" threads a LOT. It's sometimes their first post. People come here more for seeking info than for Facebook type crap I think. They start off wanting info, good bad and ugly. That may lead to other general chat, but so a good observation on how a lot start off their membership here.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #20

Both on here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f91/
I realize this is a bigger outfit, but man they have some sections on this forum. I still hang out there a lot just for info plus I have a lot of people I stay in touch with over there. Same forum format, lots more info due to requests just like this.