Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Should a "Product Review" Section be added to the forum?
Yes 55 78.57%
No 15 21.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Just because someone does not respond positively does not mean they don't want it.

Some just don't have strong feelings either way. I can get product reviews many places and when in the market for something, will read them anywhere and everywhere.
But that is not the primary goal of a forum IMO. The primary goal, in the end, is to garner more subscribers and more importantly, keep them.

The goal should be to answer ALL their questions and encourage them to visit and stay on your site. It is good for the community and for the sponsors.

To suggest they should go somewhere else to get their answers is not healthy.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #22
Site Team

To be fair I don't think Norty was suggesting people go else where. Just saying that reviews for just about anything you want is already out there.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #23

I do not see a problem with having a product review section. I would use it and post my own experiences there as well as read what others have to say of their experience. All product reviews are subject to what I would call "biased posting" , but as with all things, you have to weed through the posted information and make your own decision. JMHO.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #24

A product review section isn't a bad idea, however IMO it needs to be set up slightly different then the main discussion sections. For it to be useful to me the subject has to be the reviewed product name, so it's searchable. Additionally I don't think there should be any additional discussion or comments after the initial review. A review is just that, a review based on one persons opinion. If another member would like to provide an additional review/opinion it should be a separate thread, again with the product name as the subject. In this format if someone wanted to search for reviews, a rhino flex sewer hose for example, they search that same and get multiple hits with unique reviews and not have to wade through a review and resulting discussion from others who want share their thoughts on top of the original poster.

Just imagine if everytime you read a review on Amazon, Yelp or any of the other sites that you also got a conversation, or maybe an argument, between posters who have differing opinions. That would not be useful. It's already hard enough to sort through reviews since folks are quick to share negatives and less like to share positives or confirm a product does what it claims to do.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #25

Almost all the product sites have reviews of their own and if I'm interested I look there for reviews. Looking for a generator, go to the sites that sell the product and read there.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Here is a link to another site that provides product reviews. And they have FAR more product to track then we ever would.

LumberJocks Woodworking Reviews @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community
Looks like an Amazon review to me ......
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post
Some of the reviews on Amazon and other web sites can't be trusted. Amazon has started posting reviews by people who have been given the product for free as along as they promise to post a review. Not the most objective way to do things. I would think that JOF members would give objective, pro-and-con reviews to products of interest to us all.
I'm not saying you are wrong but if you are right, that makes no sense to me cuz they carry and sell a lot of similar products from many separate manufacturers. Also, I don't see where it would benefit Amazon to keep selling products that don't perform well. They have a pretty good return policy...sometimes a credit without even send the product back. Just my opinion . (BTW, I'm not a huge Amazon fan anyway).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Looks like an Amazon review to me ......
What part of the link address confused you into thinking so?
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #29

I think an "accessories" section would fit the bill. It would by default end up being mostly opinions and reviews. What I find difficult on JOF is finding information on these items, because they are often scattered through the sections for the various RV types. So if I want opinions on a Weber BBQ, I might find something in the 5er section, and then another post in the Hybrids section, and most often find it mixed in here on with the General Chat. Having the information together would make it more organized.
I also disagree with closing reviews after posting. It is the free exchange of information here that makes it JOF so informative. Yes, things descend into flame wars from time to time, but mostly folks stay civilized.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #30

The dealership reviews are very useful, especially to those first time buyers. We see them scattered in every section here. Put it in one spot and all is well whether it be for service or sales. I've seen some start negative then a good resolution turn them positive. Some the other way around. There are several here in LA I wouldn't buy water from. We constantly shop year round to keep up with the market. I recently visited one dealer, knowing I'd never buy there, but they had a NP 375 I wanted to see. After leaving I wanted so bad to post a review of what I thought (Need to warn others), but where would you post it where it's easy for others to find. That's the point.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #31
Site Team

There are plenty of disagreements on products that end with Mod intervention. Because of this I have to vote no on this. It would have too many arguments that need Mod intervention.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #32
Site Team

Despite some trepidation we are going to give this a try. There is a new section set up for reviews and there are some rules...

The new forum is for non-Jayco product reviews only and not for service reviews. Reviews should be of interest to RVers in other words relevant to the forum. Camping gear, rv stuff, etc. Reviews are not intended for arguments but might be a great place to ask a specific question about a reviewers experience e.g "how often did you have to refuel your generator".

No selling, no "for pay" reviews and no affiliate links.

Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #33

Fingers crossed that this works out for the benefit of all. Reserving the right to say "I told you so" when it denigrates into a moderator's nightmare. Play nice, fellow JOF'ers.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #34

It's only as good as WE make it. I have no idea why this forum is so slow to change for the better. Still small, but growing every day, and it needs more. The reviews section works well on the other forum, so I'm not sure why anybody would be hesitant to see it on here. Please contribute. I will be in the near future.

I would still like to see a dealer reviews section. This is just as helpful, as we all know good dealers are few and far between. In the mean time, guess I'll post my dealer reviews on the dark side.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Despite some trepidation we are going to give this a try. There is a new section set up for reviews and there are some rules...

The new forum is for non-Jayco product reviews only and not for service reviews. Reviews should be of interest to RVers in other words relevant to the forum. Camping gear, rv stuff, etc. Reviews are not intended for arguments but might be a great place to ask a specific question about a reviewers experience e.g "how often did you have to refuel your generator".

No selling, no for paid reviews and no affiliate links.

Thank you. It is nice to have forum managers that are so responsive to members' requests. A couple of significant changes in just the past few weeks. Thanks again.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:17 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
It's only as good as WE make it. I have no idea why this forum is so slow to change for the better. Still small, but growing every day, and it needs more. The reviews section works well on the other forum, so I'm not sure why anybody would be hesitant to see it on here. Please contribute. I will be in the near future.

I would still like to see a dealer reviews section. This is just as helpful, as we all know good dealers are few and far between. In the mean time, guess I'll post my dealer reviews on the dark side.
Not quite the same thing but there is a RV dealer satisfaction poll and discussion where besides the poll specific dealer experiences are mentioned.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-25639.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #37

As a Moderator of a non-related forum, I did vote no but since the members felt otherwise, I wrote the first review, if anyone cares to see it!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Almost all the product sites have reviews of their own and if I'm interested I look there for reviews. Looking for a generator, go to the sites that sell the product and read there.
Product site reviews are frequently biased.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
There are plenty of disagreements on products that end with Mod intervention. Because of this I have to vote no on this. It would have too many arguments that need Mod intervention.
That's one argument for posting only reviews in the section and not having any discussion, as someone already suggested.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
As a Moderator of a non-related forum, I did vote no but since the members felt otherwise, I wrote the first review, if anyone cares to see it!

Murff

Nice review - thanks for taking the time to get this started.
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote