Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckleUp View Post
For my second motorized coach I flew to Florida and drove it back to Maine when I lived there. The dealer reimbursed me for two days in a hotel and the flight cost (after buying) Saved over 15k over the lowest price within a 5 hour drive of my home. I learned early on that selling dealers will not repair anything within months. Now I just find a local repair shop and use them. My last repair on my new coach (refrigerator circuit board) was diagnosed the next day and all I waited for was the part to arrive. They billed Norcold directly for the repair.
I flew to Iowa from Indiana to pick up my Redhawk. Saved 10k from anybody near me. Drove it 323 miles back. I do the exact same thing as you and use my local rv repair shop as they dont care if you bought it there since they dont sell RVs, lol. And they are very good with repairs, very prompt as long as you make an appointment (longest appointment schedule was a week out) and are more than happy to do it. I have never been to a dealer for anything since buying mine.
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #42

We paid a premium and ordered our last RV from a privately owned dealer in Cheyenne, WY. Our decision was based on horror stories about service and workmanship of the larger dealers and the fact the little guy had a great reputation. Unfortunately about a year and a half later, the dealership was sold.
The great service was replaced with: 6 weeks of multiple calls and e mails and finally a call to the GM just to get a returned phone call. This was not an isolated incident and after 6 months of such treatment, I contacted the manufacturer directly for my last outstanding warranty issue. My questions were quickly answered and the part ordered.
Moral of the story, unless your very lucky, my experience is dealerships are focused on selling units and service after the sale in not their priority. Our next purchase will be purely a price buy (regardless of distance) knowing service can't possibly be worse than what we've experienced over the last 9 months.
stauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:07 AM   #43

When we had a Georgetown motor home we had lots of problems with the roof, sealant does not work, their is a product like flex rubberized waterproof tape, some roofing companies also sell a semilunar product, with a 10 year warranty. My husband placed the tape all around the seams that took care of the roof problem, make sure its strips not sealant, We were at a dealership and the sales person showed us the gaps between the roof and the sides, this was on a new tagalong camper, when you purchase a new camper or used I recommend highly that you use the tape around the seams, this will save you lots of money and frustration.
Big J and S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #44

how far to pick up RV

We live in San Diego and purchased our 2016 29MV Greyhawk from Columbus Ohio
2275 miles
Made a RV camping trip bringing it home
tomknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #45
BBB

We just did about 1500 miles each way (eastern MA to the FL panhandle) this past week to pick up our new Jayco Greyhawk 30x. Drove down in an F150 and towed it back.

One adventure down, many more to go!

BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #46

We went 791 miles. From Northern AZ to Oklahoma City. Bought st Camping world.
jcrammell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:02 PM   #47

4.5 miles, 8 years ago, never have taken it back to the dealer, everything has been flawless, except when I blew up the black tank, my fault, I was in Great Falls and a local dealer fixed it for me.

Over the years I have purchased 3 new trailers, 3 different brands, never once needed warranty work... yes, I’m that guy you all curse!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #48

9 miles.
I'm estimating we paid about $1500 more to buy from a local dealer. We believed the myth about service being prioritized for their own customers. Our trailer is now back at the factory for the 4th time under warranty.

Next time, if we should live that long, lol, we will get the best deal we can find (Such as RVone) regardless of the location.