Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #1

Why did you buy a Jayco ?

Why did you buy a Jayco, when there are hundreds of other choices? I bought mine for floorplan, and the fit and finish. I looked at several other brands before buying mine, and kept coming back to the Jayco's. I think when you find the right unit you can just tell. Jayco's are really sound units, not the most flashy, not the most eye popping interior, they just work well. I am very happy.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #2

1) Jayco's reputation for quality and service after the sale
2) Good local dealer
3) Appearance and floor plan

Bud
Hensley Arrow, Tru-Control
Schnauzer- Sir Winston
imbudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #3

We were seriously considering four rv's we really liked after seeing them last year at the rv show in Southern Cali. By Spring '09, two of them had gone out of business. That left the Keystone Passport and the Jayco Jay Flight (bunk house models). We sold our Casita in June and began seriously researching our final two choices. I dug and dug, posted questions on other forums, but still couldn't find any real negatives with the Jayco brand. Keystone however had many complaints of leaks and poor customer service. Not to mention the 2 year warranty with Jayco. We found a dealer we felt comfortable with and now are part of the Jayco family.

The one thing I really don't care for is the interior color choices for the 2010 model we purchased. But I love the floorplan and the quality of the materials used to make the Jay Flight G2!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #4

1) Left over model with a great price
2) I am 6' 6" tall and the interior height was a big seller for me
3) Jayco Reputation
4) Fantastic Dealer (HillTop Trailer Sales in Fridley, MN)
5) Floor plan is what the wife liked (it's good to keep the wife happy)

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #5

We bought ours because, mainly, we got a great deal from my wife's grandmother. But having known the rig since it was new, I knew the quality. And having compared Jaycos to other rigs, I would not have another brand. They just hold up better.

And Jayco's customer service has been top-notch so far when I've had questions that Grandma couldn't answer. She didn't have the weight label; Jayco sent me one.
jnewkirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #6

We just today brought our new Jayco 25.5 5th wheel home from the dealer! I had spent on and off the better part of 2 months researching sizes, floorplans, brands and dealers. I do that with most every purchase I make, esp. the larger items. My wife Elaine and I keep things for a long time so they have to fit our needs and offer long term quaility and value. To prove the point we have been camping for 32 years and this Jayco will be our 3rd unit. I looked at a lot of brands and many dealers. In the end nothing else compared with this unit in its price range but the trump card was the dealer. They did everything possible to help us without one bit of pressure. A real enjoyable experience. I drove nearly 2 hours to get to them. If they move to the other end of the state I'll still drive there.
jameshil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #7

Liked the floor plan

We bought our 2008 Jayco G2 27BH last March. We have an F150 for a TV so we needed something that the F150 could handle. We were also looking for the bunkhouse for the grandkids. We have been on at least 10 camping trips without any problems. We have looked at the Designer 35RLTS for when we move up. So...new truck on the horizon.
Sheetmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #8

I will add my 2 cents here...

I researched tt's for 3 years before I bought. No other manufacturer puts as much effort into their ultralights as does Jayco. We only ever found 1 other floor plan that matched what we wanted, and by the time we were figuring out financing options they were out of business.

Jayco at least seems to be in the business of ultralights to stay. I know a lot of you don't really care much about the ultralights, luxury seems to be the biggest driving factor for a lot of peoples' choice of RVs, but I wanted something that was comfortable, light (for towing reasons) and durable, and the Jayco fit the bill, perfectly I might add.

It just seemed every detail I researched the Jayco always met the requirement, and usually bettered the requirement. I am looking to many years of enjoyment from the Jayco.

my 2 cents
Mark
marksjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #9

ordering designer next week mostly on floor plan and a good reputation
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #10

That Designer will be nice haul n it all . I still believe I would have been happy with another floorplan we looked at before buying ours. It is just something about a Jayco, I don't know how to explain it. Maybe that's the reason I started this thread
Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #11

We bought our Jayco because of reputation, pleasing look, and quality. Also love the fit and finish.
We were unable to see one in our area. All local dealers would order one for us. I am stubborn!! I want to see and feel what I am buying BEFORE I purchase, not after.
We were in Illinois on vacation and decided to drive over to Middlebury, Indiana and go through the factory. We were impressed to say the least. Our guide made a phone call, and told us where there was one located on our way home.
We stopped in Southhaven, Mississippi on the way home and bought on the spot. They knew we were coming and had it ready for us when we got there.
Might add that we feel we got it for a more than fair price.
Jayco has been very willing to work with us on warranty issues and upgrades and we are very satisfied with our Jayco.
Retired and enjoying new grandson
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #12

I bought my Jayco because of the good reputation they have. I understand that they do not use a Lippert frame, and I have read untold horror stories about them. I heard about their fantastic customer service. I got to experience that customer service when I emailed and got an owners manual for my 1995 Designer. It also had a fantastic floor plan with a BIG shower.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #13

I have 27BH and am selling it to get a bigger Jayco. Quality craftsmanship, great reputation for excellent customer service, 2 year warranty and most importantly my wife loves the floorplan on the 32BHDS.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
I have 27BH and am selling it to get a bigger Jayco. Quality craftsmanship, great reputation for excellent customer service, 2 year warranty and most importantly my wife loves the floorplan on the 32BHDS.
Is that the one without the slide? I saw two people on our 5 week trip back east with the model that didn't have the slide. They really regretted not getting the slide. I know that having even just that extra 1 1/2 feet makes a big difference.

What are you going to upgrade to?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #15

When we were looking for a 5th wheel we looked at a used Designer. We really liked it but it over grossed our F 250. We went with a Forest River Cardinal an 2005, but the Designer was stick in my head. Well we retired this year and the Designer poped out again. Well we toured the plant twice with a great tour from John McDonald (Jayco ) I was sold on the Amish Workers at the plant.
I did a rally in the Cardinal plant with 35 Cardinal owners. The joint looked like they didn'y own a Broom. Now I won't say you could eat off the floor at Jayco but the 3 second rule would apply. We knew the Jayco was going to be our choice and Campland RV was our dealer (our sales girl delt with me for 5 months I told her I don't do anything FAST ) We looked at floor models in a 500 mile radious of the house as nobody stocks any Designers. Well we are very happy with our choice!!!!
Well after all that I took our unit in for service before Thanksgiving and we are still waiting ( we think some time this week ) I ordered the remote control for the slides and they are fighting the switches. I'm sure they will get the bugs out as we want to Snow Bird soon Texas.

Wayne
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #16

Thumbs up 08 Seneca

Owned a 28 ft class C in 1978, Loved it.
Quality
Great looks
New prior year leftover(great price)
Heavy chassis with great handling.
rhadley6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #17

We researched for almost 2 years, and the minute we walked in to the 26BH the search was over... Floorplan, 2 yr warranty, excellent dealer experience, and a really good show price!

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #18

When we bought our G2 31RKS, it was the floor plan that we wanted. We wanted the largest coach that our budget would give us and the best warranty on the product. The Jayco won out after several months of looking and dealing with different Dealerships in our area.

We originally bought the coach to enjoy at our local CG during the year and to travel after we retire. Since owning now for a year and a half, we've sold our house and are getting ready to buy another Jayco to fulltime in, get paid off in the next 5 to 6 years, then hit the road and enjoy RVing around the country..

We hope to make a deal on a new 2009 Legacy in the next month and start fulltiming in November.

Regards, Hamshog
SLIMLINE 3/HD
HamsG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #19

Why Jayco?

After having very bad experiences with our last two TT we did a lot of looking. The Jayco reputation, 2 year warranty and overall quality sold us. Also , the floor plan was the one we had been wanting for the past 4 years. Just wish spring would get here so we can use it!
f00d30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi154 View Post
(our sales girl delt with me for 5 months I told her I don't do anything FAST )
Ha ha. We took so long at the Jayco dealer, that the first salesman had quit, and we had to get another!

Actually, we were looking seriously for about two and a half months and planning on it for over three years. An RV is not a necessity item, so no rush.

What's funny is that after relocating to Las Cruces from Florida and getting settled in for a few months, we started our travel trailer search again. My wife identified several floorplans that the "local" Camping World had, and the 26BH was one of the them. Interestingly, one was sitting inside the dealership at the time, so was the very first model we went into. We also looked at a similar floorplan in a Dutchmen, but already just had this innate sense that the Jayco seemed better and nicer.

We spent the next couple of months making repeated trips to five different dealers, looking closely at different brands and models. My wife said she didn't understand why I seemed obsessed with the Jayco, but it appeared it was going to cost more than we wanted to spend. We made up our mind and headed to a dealer across the highway from the Camping World to make a purchase of another make and model which shall remain nameless lest it embarrass me, but we were quoted a price we were comfortable with. We took one last look at that trailer, and my wife tried the main bed and hung quite a few inches off the end. She found it quite uncomfortable. I had been e-mailing the Jayco salesman that week. I told him what else we were looking at and at what price and asked if he could come close to matching it. He insisted that the Jayco was a much better quality item than the other. After that, I spent a lot of time making a detailed list of construction features, and even though they seemed equivalent to me, something was nagging me in my mind about possible quality differences. I think we were done when my wife tested the bed. I never liked the U-shaped dinette in that model. I thought it would be an indefinite time before we purchased anything. I suggested we go back across the highway and take another look at the Dutchmen, which would have been less expensive that the Jayco. After looking at the Dutchmen, I asked the salesman to look at the Jayco again. At this point, I was leaning toward the Dutchmen because of the affordability, but now my wife wouldn't let go of the Jayco. We got them to run some numbers on the Jay Flight. OK....I'll go for that, but my wife told them she was uncomfortable still, and would be contented if they took another $1000-1500 off (I was amazed that this was my quiet, gentle wife playing hard ball). $1500 off would match the Dutchmen price, so I didn't think they'd do that, so asked for another $1000, and they came back and said they could do it. It was only a couple thousand more than the other model we had set out that day to buy, but we were confident that we had bought a much better unit.

So we ended up with the very first camper we looked at.

Take it for what it's worth, considering where it's coming from, but after we finished all of the paperwork, the salesman said he was very pleased that we got the Jayco vs. the Dutchmen or the one across the street. He was certain it was a much better product, but he really couldn't say that before concerning the Dutchmen, should we have chosen that one instead.
RedOrGreen is offline   Reply With Quote