Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #11

3 years ago was the last time we tent camped. We planned an adult weekend with some neighbors in July that year, leaving the kids with the in-laws. That weekend trip happened to be the hottest of the year and we we all miserable. That weekend and the 14 years I spent "roughing it" in the Army made me decide to buy a travel trailer.

We have not boon docked and we don't let cell service dictate where we stay.

Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #12

I bought mine so I could escape the Kansas winters. Liked it so much, I sold my house and live in my TT full time now.

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
3 years ago was the last time we tent camped. We planned an adult weekend with some neighbors in July that year, leaving the kids with the in-laws. That weekend trip happened to be the hottest of the year and we we all miserable. That weekend and the 14 years I spent "roughing it" in the Army made me decide to buy a travel trailer.

We have not boon docked and we don't let cell service dictate where we stay.
That sounds like the same weekend we tent camped in Chattanooga. 104 degrees. Spent all day in malls and cinemas and the nights sweating. That was a miserable trip. I started looking at campers when we got home.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #14

As a kid, I totally was appalled to be honest at the huge RVs that seemed like whales on the road, and we'd laugh at those who needed a big monstrosity to camp, as we did primitive camping and backpacking. Then in 30-40's I did more car camping with friends and coolers of beer and large parties, festivals, that sort of thing. In the meantime we moved to Houston and in the summer its REALLY hot and very very muggy, almost like liquid air at times, and evenings are not bearable w/o AC. My wife refused to tent camp out from May to October. A friend also started seeing a guy who owned a 35' RV, and one festival a huge rain came and while our tent didn't flood, it was floating only held down by corner stakes. We sought refuge in the RV and had admit they had their place at times. Then I came to the realization one day that when the kids are off of school, we weren't camping because it was so hot. If we only had AC...

Well, decided since I had a tow capable pickup for a reasonable sized TT, figured we'd get something used and give it a try. I could always sell it and not be out much if any money. Last fall found (after looking at about 9 different ones that each had issues) a used trailer and while missing some stuff, was solid and the 27BH style that fit our family. I haven't even had it during the summer yet, never even ran the AC yet (but it does work) but we have done boondocking at a renaissance festival, mountain bike ranch, and some electric only hookups when I forgot a hose on one of the first trips but filled the tank.

Anyway, the kids like bunks and we have storage for our car camping stuff, and the DW has embraced the idea of having our TT packed so we can go at a moment's notice. We have gotten a coffee maker, dishes and silverware at the goodwill. Having the chairs, firepit, and all that stuff packed ready to go is a godsend. Tent camping is fine if weather is cool enough, but you still need 4 sleeping bags, pads, clothes, chairs, a cooler, a stove, etc. Our van would be so packed with gear and 4 of us I would sometimes use a hitch platform rack. So, I realized not only could I not really laugh at campers in RV's as I had so much crap with me, but that my accomodations were even with a great REI tent a far cry.

We still tent camp, but since getting the TT last fall we've really enjoyed it and we're looking forward to going to the beach and doing more this summer with the kids!
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #15

I have always loved camping (primitive). There are trips that I can still vividly remember from 40 years ago. Careers, kids and life in general left little time for getting out regularly. Kids are grown and making families of their own. I was forced to retire due to health issues and my wife and I had been considering it for awhile. When we kicked our full house renovation project into high gear, we thought a Pup would be just the thing to get us through those 4-5 weeks where everything was down in the house as well as leaving us a new means for getting away afterwards.

The 4-5 weeks turned into 4 months, but it's done. This weekend we'll be getting away with the daughter and grand kids and already making plans for a few fly fishing jaunts to middle TN and western Arkansas come late summer early fall.

The Pup is just right for us in size and storage and with the little effort it takes to be up and running in about 45 minutes, it's perfect. We keep everything we need in the unit save the 2 generators and the ease of towing and getting it where we want makes it even better.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #16

camping is an inexpensive and fun vacation. Much cheaper than a hotel and dining out 3 times a day...

we usually camp within 1-3 hours from home max and look for local attractions so there is plenty to do...camping on the west side of MI is awesome...

we started tent camping then moved on to a Viking pop up...bought a 2015 jayco and our maiden voyage is next weekend in Canada...cant wait
Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #17

Because the old one was getting ratty.

I've loved camping since I was a kid and got the whole family into it. As I got older and sorer we progressed through popups to TT.

My collage age daughter started camping with friends from school. She was amazed at how much she really had learned over the years and loves watching the boys struggle until they swallow their pride and ask her for help.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:41 AM   #18

We have been tent camping with the 3 grands, wow that is a lot of work. Decided to get a camper
to makes thing easier and more enjoyable.
turnerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:53 AM   #19

I did many around the country motorcycle trips. Most over 10,000 miles. I never "bike camped" and on the last trip the hotels started to get annoying. I couldnt afford 30 days of $180 a night rooms, so alot of them were pretty skanky. So I decided to get a toy hauler. Taking the bikes out west to montana and idaho this summer. Broke it in in Fla. this march. Lots of fun so far
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #20

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed the posts. We enjoy the outdoors and have tried to camp as a family at least once each year. Setting up the enormous tent and lugging the gear takes too much time away from R&R. We bought a small camper with the intent of traveling to new sights each year around the northeast. We took only three short trips last year as a trial but have big plans over the next few months. it's about committing to more time to explore and enjoy recreational activities. Otherwise, I'll just be working around the house all weekend : (

Cyranose is offline   Reply With Quote