Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #1

Why did you buy your rv?

I tried searching for a similar thread and found no results. So I thought I would start something new and ask the Question.

Why? For What purpose? Did you buy your RV.

Do you get off the grid?
Do you only stay within Cellular service?
Do you boon dock?

Maybe there are to many questions, but there they are.

I love camping, fishing and hunting; especially off the grid. Having an RV makes things convenient and comfortable. Gives us a little bit of comfort to relax and enjoy nature. I enjoy times with my family away from TV, Cell phones, Computers and other trappings of society. We play games, actually talk with each other.

2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #2

For me it's like having a second home on wheels. I can go anywhere I want and I am not bound to a certain forest or lake. We use it as a cabin, beach house, etc. it's a way for us to get outdoors more, find a reason to spend time with family, shut the phones off and enjoy the crackle of a fire, or an early morning trip to the lake for fishing. As a career pilot who travels continuously, nothing is more relaxing to me than having my own space to get away when I'm not on the road. No TSA, no long lines, expensive unhealthy food and NO SCHEDULE. I find the only time I can truly unwind and relax is when we camp and get away. Not to mention the smell of a campground in the morning! Smoke, bacon, coffee..... We also use it to see all kinds of new towns and destinations we might not normally drive to for a hotel.

There are about 100 reasons I own one. But simply peace, relaxation and pure peace top them all. We camp at state parks, forest camp grounds and boon dock. We still like to tent camp but this makes packing and unpacking much quicker and easier because that's the name of the game. Relax!!

And we can bring the dogs!

UPC
Old 05-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #3

I have liked camping since I first went with my parents in the early 60's. We also camped when our kids were young, from about 84 through 1991. Wife and I got back into a travel trailer from a tent in 2010. In that time, went from a 22'TT to a 24'TT, to the unit we have now. Hopefully we will have this one quite a while!

One of the best reasons for traveling in a RV, is like a friend of mine put it, "I like to know who was sleeping in my bed last night". (as opposed to motels)
2. I like the people you meet along the way. We've mad a lot of new friends.
3. You aren't packing and unpacking every night or lugging suitcases in and out of motels.
4. It's our home away from home, and we have it arranged just the way we want.

We are not equipped to stay off the grid very long.
We do take our cell phones and WiFi hotspot for internet service. It still comes in handy.
While we have travelled through some "boondocks" on our trips, we haven't stayed anywhere totally away from it all, but have been close!
We're actually looking forward to our first trip in our new rig this coming Friday. Eager to see how both the 5w and TV do on the trip.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #4

Portable hotel room for us. My son and I travel the east and gulf coasts scuba diving for fun. I got tired of living out of my truck and hotel rooms. And I got real tired of lugging our gear in and out of hotels and figuring out how to wash and dry it for the next day. We do enjoy grilling a few steaks and having a stocked fridge is nice but we don't do the typical camping thing. We usually eat out and occasionally we will might light a fire and do smores etc. And we enjoy it. Although I'm thinking about doing something different this summer and head to the mountains of NC or WV for some white water rafting. As my son gets older and does the college thing I'm thinking hard about getting a bigger one and doing more "camping" with my wife. But to get her to go along it's got to be big and nice and fully self contained. She actually wants a motor home.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #5

Our HTT is our portable cabin, AKA the “White House”. We like to camp, I use to do a lot of mountaineering, when I was younger, with no kids. I still rough it a number of times a year. But with the family, I found we just did not get out as often as we wanted to as it was a lot of work! We were looking for a PU, but could not find anything we liked. My requirement in a trailer was everything had to have its space, and stay in the trailer between trips. Well, we could not find that in a PU. By chance we looked at a 17Z, liked it, but it had zero storage. Saw the 23B, and almost bought it on the spot. The 23B is bigger than we really wanted. But everything has its space, and it is ready to go in a heartbeat. As a family before the 23B we went camping a few times a year. Now, in the summer we are out almost every other weekend.

As for places we go. I really do not care if we have an electric site or not. The DW likes here AC when it is hot, I really prefer no AC, and even at home I prefer not using the AC. We have only had full hook ups once, and never really even utilized them. It is almost impossible to go places without cell coverage, like finding those areas, so work cannot get ahold of me, same with wifi.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #6

We started by tent camping 45 years ago. That became old as we approached our 70s and wanted more creature comforts.

It is our second home that can be put on a lake front lot or a beach front lot, without spending $500,000.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #7

We bought ours for multiple reasons.

We love to travel with the kids, and we find ourselves renting house after house in the mountains, on the beach, or somewhere secluded! I am around people all day long, and we truly want to get away. We rent houses to save money by cooking all our meals (or at least 80% of them). A motorhome seemed like a natural progression for us. No more renting houses, lets drive ours there!

We have tent camped for years, and we would always look longingly at the rigs that pulled in next to us!

We also home school our kids, and the RV affords us the opportunity to travel more and show the kids the places we learn about in school.

Lastly, and a purely practical reason is for some element of preparedness and self-sufficiency. We have been through several hurricanes that have left our home without power for days. An automatic home generator, to run what we would really want, would be in excess of 10K. That was a good chunk to put towards our Greyhawk! Next time that happens we can pull the RV up to the house after the winds die down and live in our friend until life gets back to normal!

A TT would have been cheaper, but I would have had to trade my truck in for a heavier duty one, and the kids really use the back to do school work on the road. We are very happy to enter the RV lifestyle!
DocHarvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #8

I started tent camping in the mid-60s as a kid on Scouts. When I met my wife, her family had been camping in a pop-up for about 10 years.

About 6 months after we were married we bought our first pop-up for $425 that was 36 years ago. So 3 pop-ups and 3 travel trailers later, we camp to relax on weekends, it's our summer home where we are not stuck in one location, it's our hotel when we take extended road trips. We have friends that have spent a fortune on time shares and summer homes. I feel I'm way ahead of them by owning a RV.

I plan to retire from NY to Georgia in 4 years and will be coming back north with the TT for the summer months.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

I've always enjoyed camping. I got really good at it while my son was in Boy Scouts.

After the divorce, the current woman in my life owns 7.5 acres of wilderness land just outside of Aderondak Park (upstate NY). We tent camped for several years.

She installed a driveway to where a house could be built.

I decided that I had to have a flush toilet and a hot shower sometime during a 3-5 day weekend.

So, I bought a 1993 TT back in 2009 and proceeded to fix and modify it for dry camping.

This winter was rough on the old trailer. So I shopped for a new unit and bought a brand-new Jayco Swift 28'.

Totally up-to-date and all the features we want.

Just have to bring a genset.
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

For me, I loved camping as teenager and always had the idea of owning a Trailer....life got in the way and last year I finally bought a trailer. I have it parked at a seasonal site and love the fact that I can be there in about 45 minutes. In a few more years I will be retiring and my wife and I plan on traveling all around North America using our trailer. For me the best part of owning a trailer is the thought that I can (when I buy the truck) pull it anywhere and sleep and live in it.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #11

3 years ago was the last time we tent camped. We planned an adult weekend with some neighbors in July that year, leaving the kids with the in-laws. That weekend trip happened to be the hottest of the year and we we all miserable. That weekend and the 14 years I spent "roughing it" in the Army made me decide to buy a travel trailer.

We have not boon docked and we don't let cell service dictate where we stay.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #12

I bought mine so I could escape the Kansas winters. Liked it so much, I sold my house and live in my TT full time now.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
3 years ago was the last time we tent camped. We planned an adult weekend with some neighbors in July that year, leaving the kids with the in-laws. That weekend trip happened to be the hottest of the year and we we all miserable. That weekend and the 14 years I spent "roughing it" in the Army made me decide to buy a travel trailer.

We have not boon docked and we don't let cell service dictate where we stay.
That sounds like the same weekend we tent camped in Chattanooga. 104 degrees. Spent all day in malls and cinemas and the nights sweating. That was a miserable trip. I started looking at campers when we got home.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #14

As a kid, I totally was appalled to be honest at the huge RVs that seemed like whales on the road, and we'd laugh at those who needed a big monstrosity to camp, as we did primitive camping and backpacking. Then in 30-40's I did more car camping with friends and coolers of beer and large parties, festivals, that sort of thing. In the meantime we moved to Houston and in the summer its REALLY hot and very very muggy, almost like liquid air at times, and evenings are not bearable w/o AC. My wife refused to tent camp out from May to October. A friend also started seeing a guy who owned a 35' RV, and one festival a huge rain came and while our tent didn't flood, it was floating only held down by corner stakes. We sought refuge in the RV and had admit they had their place at times. Then I came to the realization one day that when the kids are off of school, we weren't camping because it was so hot. If we only had AC...

Well, decided since I had a tow capable pickup for a reasonable sized TT, figured we'd get something used and give it a try. I could always sell it and not be out much if any money. Last fall found (after looking at about 9 different ones that each had issues) a used trailer and while missing some stuff, was solid and the 27BH style that fit our family. I haven't even had it during the summer yet, never even ran the AC yet (but it does work) but we have done boondocking at a renaissance festival, mountain bike ranch, and some electric only hookups when I forgot a hose on one of the first trips but filled the tank.

Anyway, the kids like bunks and we have storage for our car camping stuff, and the DW has embraced the idea of having our TT packed so we can go at a moment's notice. We have gotten a coffee maker, dishes and silverware at the goodwill. Having the chairs, firepit, and all that stuff packed ready to go is a godsend. Tent camping is fine if weather is cool enough, but you still need 4 sleeping bags, pads, clothes, chairs, a cooler, a stove, etc. Our van would be so packed with gear and 4 of us I would sometimes use a hitch platform rack. So, I realized not only could I not really laugh at campers in RV's as I had so much crap with me, but that my accomodations were even with a great REI tent a far cry.

We still tent camp, but since getting the TT last fall we've really enjoyed it and we're looking forward to going to the beach and doing more this summer with the kids!
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #15

I have always loved camping (primitive). There are trips that I can still vividly remember from 40 years ago. Careers, kids and life in general left little time for getting out regularly. Kids are grown and making families of their own. I was forced to retire due to health issues and my wife and I had been considering it for awhile. When we kicked our full house renovation project into high gear, we thought a Pup would be just the thing to get us through those 4-5 weeks where everything was down in the house as well as leaving us a new means for getting away afterwards.

The 4-5 weeks turned into 4 months, but it's done. This weekend we'll be getting away with the daughter and grand kids and already making plans for a few fly fishing jaunts to middle TN and western Arkansas come late summer early fall.

The Pup is just right for us in size and storage and with the little effort it takes to be up and running in about 45 minutes, it's perfect. We keep everything we need in the unit save the 2 generators and the ease of towing and getting it where we want makes it even better.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #16

camping is an inexpensive and fun vacation. Much cheaper than a hotel and dining out 3 times a day...

we usually camp within 1-3 hours from home max and look for local attractions so there is plenty to do...camping on the west side of MI is awesome...

we started tent camping then moved on to a Viking pop up...bought a 2015 jayco and our maiden voyage is next weekend in Canada...cant wait
Old 05-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #17

Because the old one was getting ratty.

I've loved camping since I was a kid and got the whole family into it. As I got older and sorer we progressed through popups to TT.

My collage age daughter started camping with friends from school. She was amazed at how much she really had learned over the years and loves watching the boys struggle until they swallow their pride and ask her for help.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:41 AM   #18

We have been tent camping with the 3 grands, wow that is a lot of work. Decided to get a camper
to makes thing easier and more enjoyable.
turnerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:53 AM   #19

I did many around the country motorcycle trips. Most over 10,000 miles. I never "bike camped" and on the last trip the hotels started to get annoying. I couldnt afford 30 days of $180 a night rooms, so alot of them were pretty skanky. So I decided to get a toy hauler. Taking the bikes out west to montana and idaho this summer. Broke it in in Fla. this march. Lots of fun so far
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #20

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed the posts. We enjoy the outdoors and have tried to camp as a family at least once each year. Setting up the enormous tent and lugging the gear takes too much time away from R&R. We bought a small camper with the intent of traveling to new sights each year around the northeast. We took only three short trips last year as a trial but have big plans over the next few months. it's about committing to more time to explore and enjoy recreational activities. Otherwise, I'll just be working around the house all weekend : (
Cyranose is offline   Reply With Quote