Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #1

Why do we have separate grey and black tanks - why not one big tank?

Why not one big sewerage tank?
It all goes to the same place when we dump it.
Our house just uses one system.
Wouldn't it be better to dilute the black tank with the nice soapy grey water?
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
Why not one big sewerage tank?
It all goes to the same place when we dump it.
Our house just uses one system.
Wouldn't it be better to dilute the black tank with the nice soapy grey water?

Your question is a sensitive subject to answer for many RV'rs. The main reason is that for many years and still yet today for many RV'rs is that they are comfortable draining grey water on the ground but not black water. So if you are boondocking and have used a lot of water for showering and hand washing, instead of having to break camp and find a dump station, many will simply slowly drain the grey water in an environmentally safe way (many will say that there is no environmentally safe way). I suggest that grey water isn't an issue if drained slow enough not to run off and instead be absorbed into the ground. ~CA
Old 05-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
CAG

National Forest, State Parks and private RV locations take a different view of draining greywater and prohibit it. On the ground that is.

It makes more sense to have all tanks hooked together but sooner or later they have to be drained as leaving the grey open as we do now is likely going to cause a poop pyramid under the toilet for lack of water in the tank.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
National Forest, State Parks and private RV locations take a different view of draining greywater and prohibit it. On the ground that is.

It makes more sense to have all tanks hooked together but sooner or later they have to be drained as leaving the grey open as we do now is likely going to cause a poop pyramid under the toilet for lack of water in the tank.
Not to debate whether or not dumping grey water is environmentally ok as imo it depends on many factors.

In any case, it is still allowed in many BLM and National Forest lands along with certain other campsites but certainly many locations prohibit it, so be sure to check wherever you are camping as the rules are different for different locations. I always suggest that everyone should be a good steward of the land wherever you camp and be smart along with leaving the campsite better than you found it.

For example (keep in mind this is for a specific Forest, not all have the same rules):
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mnf/n...TELPRDB5066205

Safe Disposal of Wastewater at Forest Service Campsites:....

Gray water should be dispersed on the ground in a wide area, away from streams, and away from the campsite area.

~CA
Old 05-15-2022, 04:46 PM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Not to debate whether or not dumping grey water is environmentally ok as imo it depends on many factors.

In any case, it is still allowed in many BLM and National Forest lands along with certain other campsites but certainly many locations prohibit it, so be sure to check wherever you are camping as the rules are different for different locations. I always suggest that everyone should be a good steward of the land wherever you camp and be smart along with leaving the campsite better than you found it.

For example (keep in mind this is for a specific Forest, not all have the same rules):
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mnf/n...TELPRDB5066205

Safe Disposal of Wastewater at Forest Service Campsites:....

Gray water should be dispersed on the ground in a wide area, away from streams, and away from the campsite area.

~CA
Then it might be best for those camping in various NFs to check because almost without exception NF in Arizona prohibit dumping gray water and my source says “BLM is the only federal land management agency that does not specifically prohibit dumping gray water on the ground” CFR title 43 8365.1-1 Sanitation.
In Arizona dumping any gray is illegal everywhere unless you hold a permit. Sink water is prohibited-period as it is considered sewage while shower water is in some circumstances allowed.

So, again before we go dumping any water you best know the laws of that land or I guess you can just do it and see if you get cited.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:19 PM   #6

I am not sure what the penalties would be, but I highly recommend to follow the rules and laws. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if violations on Federal lands would result in high fines and\or being barred from those lands... not that I know this to be the case.

As a thought and I don't boondock all that much (or better stated I usually don't boondock for long periods of time), I have never needed to drain my grey tank on the ground as on my Greyhawk and perhaps many or most other RV's, the grey tank holds as much as the fresh water tank. So without carrying more water somewhere other than the fresh water holding tank, I would run out of fresh water before either of the waste water holding tanks got full. ~CA
Old 05-15-2022, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
That is NOT our experience. Just our last trip thru Arizona, Utah and Nevada found two Private RV parks that not only allowed it, appreciated us asking and gave us suggestions on where our grey drain should go. It is not universally accepted, nor is it universally prohibited - you can find a case/by/case situation that the camp host will advise you.

USFS campgrounds are at the direction of the camp host. Universally if the campsite is near a lake, river or watershed, it is prohibited. Many Camp Hosts ask that the flow be such that you are coming with an empty tank, and all grey water you create can be slowly discharged in a place with vegetation that will benefit from it. They will not allow you to dump a full grey water tank on the ground.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:32 AM   #8
CAG

First I have heard that camp hosts on federal land are allowed to circumvent US Code.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:03 AM   #9

Not to mention keeping tanks relatively small. Considering demonstrated construction technique I would hate to have a 150 gallon, or larger tank slung underneath.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:31 AM   #10

I suspect the reason for 2 types of tanks is due to the flat nature of the tanks. The tanks are up between the camper frame rails and the floor. Make them any bigger creates potential safety issues with a tank falling out, unless major supports were added. On top of that, if you drove with partial tanks you could have major safety issues with sloshing water.

With that in mind, the grey water tank fills up much faster than the Black tank. So if you are at a full hook up site for any extended period, many people will just open the grey water tank valve and let it drain. Then a day or two before packing up, they will close the tank valve and let it fill, so they can flush the sewer hose after dumping the black tank.

If you are at a full hook up site, you NEVER want to leave the black tank valve open and just let it flow out. With a flat bottom tank, when the Poo, hits the tank, it stays put, and starts to form the dreaded Poop Pyramid. At home the solids are contained in a pipe, and the rush of the water in the pipe caries the solids away. With the black tank valve just left open, the water flows but it is not forced to draw the solids along with.

Key element, always make sure your Black tank is 2/3 full or more before dumping. Once you dump, always add about 10% FW back into the tank. So if your black tank is 40 gallons, after dumping put at least 4 gallons of FW back into your tank. Lastly always flush with plenty of water. Never let your black be dry unless the camper is winterized for the season.

Sometimes when we are boondocking, I will dump our dishpans down the toilet, just make sure NOTHING was left in the dishpan before bumping (like silverware).

Happy camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #11

many of the dry camping sites we frequent and managed by BLM permit it. I've actuality had a BLM ranger check me one time in the process of dumping my grey water. He wanted to make sure i was not dumping the Black side. Also,l some of the dry camp sites we visit have a weekly sewer pump service for a small fee. They will not take grey water unless they are extremely slow, which is seldom.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #12

For me separate gray and black waste systems are a must. I wouldn't want sewer gas from toilet waste going into my kitchen sink or bath lavatory if there was no water sealing the trap. Also, if the air admittance valve under the kitchen sink or lavatory becomes faulty, you'll have toilet-smelling gas directly under the kitchen sink, and then going into your towels, silverware, foods, and whatever else you have stored in the drawers and cabinets of the kitchen. Yuk.

Having separate systems is more of a health and safety sort of thing, in my opinion.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #13

In Connecticut, many older campgrounds don't have full hookups but do have a separate grey water drain field at each site. The rules/laws are very much state by state.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:20 AM   #14

Everyone talking about "rules" and "laws" about dumping grey water but I would bet, if a man, they have went pee on a tree at some point.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:15 AM   #15

I would not like it if someone wanted to dump grey water on my property... Why would I think its OK to do it on land dedicated to all the masses of people that visit the land?

If there's a dedicated plot of space to do it, then that's one thing.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I would not like it if someone wanted to dump grey water on my property... Why would I think its OK to do it on land dedicated to all the masses of people that visit the land?

You must live in an area that receives plenty of rain.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashdman11 View Post
Everyone talking about "rules" and "laws" about dumping grey water but I would bet, if a man, they have went pee on a tree at some point.
I've seen worse in S.F.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

I bet you will find many many golf courses in your community or near that water their greens with 'Black' water.. Not gray water, but Black.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:24 PM   #19

Where we are I see no problem. We dump grey water at home on plants outside on occasion rather than waste it. It all goes to the same place whether or not it goes to the septic tank.. A small sieve can filter all the food particles out.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
You must live in an area that receives plenty of rain.
Huh?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote