Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #21

We full time and spend the better part of our year dry camping at some level. We camp host in an IL state park for 3 months each year with electric only, we also spend three months in our son's back yard with an electric only hookup. We spend 2 to 3 months in the desert at a BLM LTVA with no hookups at all. We also spend three months in a county campground on South Padre Island, TX with full hookups (pure luxury). We spend a good amount of time going from place to place and use Passport America campgrounds as much as possible as well as other private and public campgrounds. We enjoy all types of camping and are set up with solar and other equipment so we have complete comfort where ever we are. It's a great life and we don't miss having a house or permanent base one bit.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #22

For us it really depends on what we are doing and where we are going. And that has slowly changed over the years. When our daughter was a child we tented and had a pop-up, we boon docked, or stayed at state parks, and an occasional RV park. Often theme parks were involved and always tourist attractions. Lots of hiking and doing things that were free or cheap when at all possible.

Our daughter is long grown up and out of the house. Our camping goals have changed. When and where we camp has changed. We always go at non-peak times and rarely are CGs full when we go. We still prefer state parks, but in WI they are hard to get into and you have to reserve far in advance even for "off season" sites. So we often opt for private CGs.

Now days we do a lot of day hiking and biking. As we get older it's pretty nice to come back from a day of adventure and have electric, running water, etc., but still have a camp fire, and we still cook over the fire a lot, and not be 100 miles from no-where. It's also nice to be close to civilization and go out to eat once in a while or find a nice brew pub and have a beer after a long day on the bikes...
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #23

One of our favorite places is an RV park at the beach. It's expensive, the spots are nice (full hookups obviously) and they offer cable. The reason we stay there is because DW likes her showers and having power and cable readily available with easy access to the beach. It's easy to hang out on the beach all morning and head back to the trailer, get cleaned up and take a nap in the afternoon when it's really hot, and maybe hit the beach again for a walk in the evening after dinner. We could camp directly on the beach and it would be a LOT cheaper. But then we'd need a generator, and there would be no "security"; we'd be out there alone. Also, there would be no escape from the relentless wind and sand. There are a few places we could camp near the beach that would be cheaper, and the amenities would obviously be less, but we like to treat ourselves with a nice place for vacation.

We also frequent our state parks quite often. They offer a bit more space, a bit more "secluded" feel, and many offer full hookups (very few with cable). We like these because we have almost as much in the amenities department, but the destination is nicer and there are other activities to do like hiking or fishing. Texas state parks tend to fill up quickly in the summer, so we have to plan far in advance. Our favorites have places to get wet, like river or lake access; they are also the most popular for those reasons. Since we camp a lot in the summer, we tend to gravitate to places where we can cool off, and that have power so we can run the AC. Did I mention that it gets deathly hot this time of year in Texas?

We have not boondocked yet, and will not likely do that for any appreciable number of nights. It's simply too hot in Texas to do that for most of our camping season. And DW doesn't like the lack of amenities. IF we do any "boondocking" it will be in transit to a destination, so one night, maybe two while out on the road.

I'm working on her though. I know we can have a good time with limited "amenities", but she still likes her trips to be "cushy". I'm trying to convince her that we can have a really good time without full hookups. This would open up a number of "alternate" possibilities for us. She's not sold yet, so it's typically RV parks for us.

For now, I'm just happy to get "out there". I care a lot less about where we're going and what amenities they have than I do about simply going SOMEWHERE. But I have to admit, it's nice to have all the resources I need at my fingertips without having to worry about filling up tanks or power conservation.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #24

The wife loves to relax and sight-see and shopping. For me it's all about fishing and photography. If I can't fish I am walking around with a camera. We love state and federal parks because they work best for both our needs. As long as there is water within walking distance of my camp I am happy.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #25

We started camping 45 years ago in a 9 x 12 Coleman tent, which must have weighed 30 lbs., and a 12 x 12 screen house.

Would camp in Federal sites in N. Georgia for two dollars a night. They had nice raised tent sites and one common water faucet for all 10 or 12 sites.

Moved to SC in 1973 and started camping at Hunting Island SP near Beaufort SC.
Had our own water faucet.

No camping from 1990 to 2012. Most vacations in mini-van with kids to beach and up the east coast to places like Washington DC And several trips to Europe and other places, and many cruses as well.

Started TT camping 6 years ago. Stay mostly at Myrtle Beach SP or Dreher Island SP outside of Chapin SC. Both with electricity and water, which are required by DW

Myrtle Beach SP is our favorite with beach, shopping and dinning out all available.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #26

We go for a range of reasons. We've found that the trailer is a great way to travel. We take "one big trip" each year and also head down from MI to VA to visit relatives. It's a much nicer way to see the family having your own place to head out to.

We also then go during the weekends and holiday weekends to more local places. We've got a single 6yr old guy and camping is a great way of getting him out of the house, letting him go meet other kids, and just romp around outside all day long. My wife and I love to get out and hike the trails, bike around, and I love to kayak fish at whatever lake is near the campground. For us, the weekend trips are regular little get away from the home routine.

I'm working on getting us into doing the occasional boondocking as well for the more full outdoor experience. My wife and I miss our backpacking days and using the trailer as a base camp for some excursions.

I guess for us it's party playground, weekend get-a-way, vacation home, and more.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #27

Less people=more relaxing!

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote