Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2022, 03:54 PM   #1

Why Forums are Better Than Facebook

First of all, as I've mentioned here before, I am the Administrator of the Coleman Collectors Forum, so I may be a bit biased. There are probably 30 or more Coleman collector Facebook pages and I belong to several of them. One thing I do not like about Facebook, is trying to find a post or thread again, once you have left it. At least posts are static on forums, so you can usually find them again, after you have gone to another page.

After seeing on the JOF here the other day that there is a Facebook Jayflight Facebook page, I did a quick search for a Facebook White Hawk page. Lo and behold there was one. Since I own a White Hawk, I joined it. Once approved, I attempted to make a quick thank you for the add and what and how I happen to own a White Hawk. After a lengthy typing session, I hit post and then get a notification that I cannot post until June 11th! That seemed a bit odd, so I messaged the Admisinstrator of the White Hawk page and he states that new members need to wait 30 days once they have been approved before they can post.

He stated some reasons, and some were understandable but, and just my opinion, 30 days seems pretty excessive. I mean, I have seen a couple of questions poised that I am more than qualified to ansswer but cannot. I feel this is poor thinking on the part of this group to accept a new meber but don't want to hear from you for a month.

Heck, in a month, I may no longer be interested in your Facebook page.

Guess that's one more reason Forums are better than Facebook!

Still love it here, though!

Rant over!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Guess that's one more reason Forums are better than Facebook!

Still love it here, though!

Rant over!

Murff
This is a good site. As far as facebook sites, they don't seem to be as heavily monitored and censored as this site. I have no problem with that.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:30 PM   #3
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
This is a good site. As far as facebook sites, they don't seem to be as heavily monitored and censored as this site. I have no problem with that.

Without making this political, I will disagree and say that Facebook is over monitored for political and social issues that they believe are not with their beliefs. Post something that they do not believe in and get censored.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #4

Yes, dont get the 30 days. Verifying the new user is indeed a "user" via email address should suffice; should take minutes, or hours with human interaction. If having to wait 30 days I would tire out and just give up.

Prefer my traditional forums, very much like this particular one.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:11 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Without making this political, I will disagree and say that Facebook is over monitored for political and social issues that they believe are not with their beliefs. Post something that they do not believe in and get censored.
Best way to keep from being censored or moderated is keep your political, social and religious opinions to yourself where they belong. I like moderators , the root of that being moderation, as in all things. Compare the lightly moderated opinion section of the Wash. Post with the heavily moderate NYT's for example. The WaPo is a virtual food fight where fruitcakes from the margins and their mom's basement frolic, the NYT's is exponentially more civil. I just wish Walter Cronkite would come back.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:36 PM   #6

I'm an administrator for a White Sox forum. Over the years we've expanded well past baseball and sports. We had a section called Filibuster that was open for political topics. We eventually closed it. The political discussions would turn personal then spill over everywhere else. It's tough to be civil nowadays.

I've joined forums that had waiting times to start a topic but I can't remember ever being restricted from replying. I assume they have been spammed a lot. I had a Facebook group for a few years and at the time you could set the posting from no wait to 30 days. I think we had a two day wait just to avoid bots.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #7

Anything is better than Facebook.. Got of that rat trap years ago
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:16 AM   #8

Never been on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, My Space, your space or no space for that matter.
My employer pays a group of people to monitor (troll) social media sites looking for employees accounts and posts that would violate the company code of business conduct in some form or another so they can be disciplined up to and including dismissal. I dont need or want those kinds of headaches. If I want drama like I hear that goes on in those sites, I'll watch one of them lame drama shows on TLC channel. Lol!
Old 05-22-2022, 09:00 AM   #9

I post a bit on the Facebook Hummingbird page and always try and direct them here.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
I don't find this site censored at all. Monitored effectively but censored not really...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Anything is better than Facebook.. Got of that rat trap years ago
Never joined into that way of social media; never will.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:09 PM   #12

Been participating in forums since late 2000 or early 2001 when I joined two motorcycle online communities. Later became a tech mod at one of them for several years.

Since then I've been involved with several more motorcycling forums, and a half-dozen automotive forums (cars and trucks). There is no substitute for the value of an uninterrupted, linear conversation such as forums can provide for the serious tech or the casual enthusiast.

Facebook is generally a cesspool but it does have value. I got on it back in 2008 or thereabouts to keep up with my college aged kid who was leaving home, and have been a member ever since. It enabled my wife and I to keep up with that one, and her sister as they both went to the same college.

FB Marketplace has been useful to me locally in shedding several pieces of useful stuff, and in particular, selling a pristine Ranger truck last year. But FB is not a source that I rely upon for sound information.
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #13
Site Team

Good input here... One of the best things about forums is the archive of great info for owners. You can search for and have a chance of finding good thoughtful discussion about a specific topic.

Regarding moderation... we have some but the rules are pretty clearly spelled out. Most things are fine, even critical content about Jaycos. We are independent of RV Manufacturers and that makes content credible; owners perspective is offered up without corporate spin.

The site does have rules about leaving politics, religion and weaponry debates at the door - we're an RVing board and members have widely varying views on those hot button topics. Debating them here only drives a wedge in the community and distracts from the reason we exist i.e. Jayco/ RVing discussions

Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #14

I totally agree that forums are better for a number of reasons. I haven't seen any reason that FB groups are better in any way.

As for the 30 day thing, I would be gone immediately.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:48 AM   #15

JOF is excellent.

Have never felt deprived by avoiding social media.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
JOF is excellent.

Have never felt deprived by avoiding social media.
I believe most of us here are old enough to have grown up without computers much less social media. Social media to us was a mall or cafeteria, finding the house with all the bikes in the yard.

Younger generations have always had them, it's what they know.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Best way to keep from being censored or moderated is keep your political, social and religious opinions to yourself where they belong. I like moderators , the root of that being moderation, as in all things. Compare the lightly moderated opinion section of the Wash. Post with the heavily moderate NYT's for example. The WaPo is a virtual food fight where fruitcakes from the margins and their mom's basement frolic, the NYT's is exponentially more civil. I just wish Walter Cronkite would come back.
^^^^^^^^
This! Well said!
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:39 PM   #18

The search function on FB groups is horrible. People always say "search the group", but even in a group I'm a moderator in, searching for a post I know is there with the main keyword used throughout it, it rarely shows up in the search results.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:18 PM   #19

What's "Facebook"?
2 kids
1 dog
jb7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:05 AM   #20

I find forii better for digging through archives.

Businesses however never update web pages often and Facebook is heavily used by them. We kind of depend on it to remind us about local goings on. And when the lobsters go on sale..

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote