Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

why is the bed so high?

Apologies for asking so many questions, but this rv thing is surprisingly complex and simple at the same time.

We get the idea of storage but have not thought of anything to put in there yet except one set of sheets and an extra blanket.

The bed could be a normal height and still do this.

Are we missing something obvious? Thanks in advance for both the help and good humour (canadian sp.) by everyone.

Dave.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Site Team

Moved to Jayco chat.

Dave, which model do you have? I think the height of the bed is all about storage. On mine there is a boatload of room in the front pass through compartment which runs under the bed as well as the other storage area behind that one. In time you will find stuff to put in there, I keep chairs, grills, life vests, storage container for sewer fittings, a small rake, leveling blocks in there and other items. I keep a blue tote tank under the bed also, well cleaned of course before storing.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #3

I'm thankful for the extra storage. That's something that the RV builders didn't give much thought to. I have 2 folding lounge chairs and a collapsable ladder that lives under my bed. The Blue Tank storage is a good idea that I had not thought of. I have an aluminum storage box on my bumper and with the spare tire ,didn't have a place for the blue tank mount. I'll have to think about that one..I don't think mt bed lifts high enough to slip the tank inside it.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I'm thankful for the extra storage. That's something that the RV builders didn't give much thought to. I have 2 folding lounge chairs and a collapsable ladder that lives under my bed. The Blue Tank storage is a good idea that I had not thought of. I have an aluminum storage box on my bumper and with the spare tire ,didn't have a place for the blue tank mount. I'll have to think about that one..I don't think mt bed lifts high enough to slip the tank inside it.
Bob, my tank is only 22 gallons so it fits with room to spare for the chairs and stuff. The bed lifts more then high enough.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #5

It is a feather light sport 22'6. Thanks for the tips. Have some stuff in the pass through, but the bed still seems like too much storage vs. the height.

We are at that stage in life where we are trying to downsize after the kids, and wonder where all this STUFF came from? Maybe I'll put some of it under the bed.

cheers, Dave.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
It is a feather light sport 22'6. Thanks for the tips. Have some stuff in the pass through, but the bed still seems like too much storage vs. the height.

We are at that stage in life where we are trying to downsize after the kids, and wonder where all this STUFF came from? Maybe I'll put some of it under the bed.

cheers, Dave.

You just need to spend some more time in the trailer and that space will fill right up.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
You just need to spend some more time in the trailer and that space will fill right up.
X2

The things I store under the bed I may not need every time I set up camp like; box fan, extra 6-gallon water container, blue plastic tarps, extra blankets, extra chairs..., and a two man tent for overnight visitors (they won't stay long).

Don't have a blue sewer tote, never had a need for one (yet). If I had one it would definitely be stored "outside" the TT (rear bumper, tongue, underneath, etc.), just not something I would store inside the TT under the bed.

Here is where a friend of mine stores his sewer tote (the square galvanized tube supports the tote):

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #8

Edit: Misread the OP.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
X2

The things I store under the bed I may not need every time I set up camp like; box fan, extra 6-gallon water container, blue plastic tarps, extra blankets, extra chairs..., and a two man tent for overnight visitors (they won't stay long).

Don't have a blue sewer tote, never had a need for one (yet). If I had one it would definitely be stored "outside" the TT (rear bumper, tongue, underneath, etc.), just not something I would store inside the TT under the bed.

Here is where a friend of mine stores his sewer tote (the square galvanized tube supports the tote):

Bob

Bob, I only use mine for grey water and clean it thouroughly, then it is sealed tight so its not a health or odor issue under the bed. Its also not very heavy. If I had an outside mounting place I suppose I would put it there. As for needing one, well many of the places we camp have no sewer hook up so the 32 gallon grey tank can fill fast, especially with 3 kids. I did the pneumatic tire mod, and just tow it to the dumpstation when full. I don`t intend to ever use it for black water, of course some do but the black tank takes quite awhile to fill up.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
snip...... I don`t intend to ever use it for black water,.....snip
Lee,

That was my biggest concern...., and wheeling the tote around the dump station. Some folks returning from the dump station it was obvious they didn't even rinse the tote off after dumping......, oder was terrible.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #11

I sure don't miss having to use my blue boy twice a week. In Az you see a lot of blue totes hanging off the ladders of RV's. Under the coach storage looks nice.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #12

Hi Dave,
I take it you call the Sunshine Coast home. I have a brother who lives by Madera Park (sp?).
After the fist night sleep in our trailer, when I went to get out of bed and my feet were dangling I thought wtf? I have looked in other Jayco trailers and I've noticed that part of the bed intrudes into the front storage area on some so I think only those with trailers like ours realize how high up off the floor the bed really is. We upgraded to a thicker mattress which made it worse. My initial thought was to lower the bed frame which also meant intruding into the storage area. I am now thinking it would be easier to raise the bedroom floor. This will be done in the sping I hope.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #13

Thanks, this all has been very helpful. Would have taken me a few years to figure out on my own.

regards, Dave.