Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Why Jayco?

Hi members..
Not yet a Jayco owner, but have found a 5th wheel model 29.5 RKS we really like. This will be a big investment in a big RV. Our current rig is a 22 foot TT. Nice enough, but nowhere to sit. Not worried about the TV, it's a 2008 2500 HD diesel. I know I'm asking a "jayded" crowd but wondering what you all think of build quality, features, durability, etc.
Thanks for the input.
Alex
Camping AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Well I`ll give it to you straight. If you like the 5er, buy it. Jaycos get good reviews overall and better then many manufacturers from the people that matter most- the ones that own them. Check out various other owners and RV forums and you`ll see. Are they perfect? No, but what is in the RV world. The fit and finish and overall quality has been good on mine with only one minor issue after 15 months of ownership. 2 yr warranty where many others give one. Many standard features even on the Jayflight line. The Eagle you are looking at is no doubt well equipped. As for durability and longevity time will tell on mine, we`ll have to wait and see. But I think basic maintainence has a lot to do with that on any brand RV, especially keeping the sealants maintained. Once again, since you say you like it and have the TV to pull it here`s one vote to buy it. Good luck whatever you choose. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #3

I echo what Crabman says above....I never owned an RV before 2008 but spent years researching and climbing in and out of many brands of RV because when I buy something I want a quality product....I really feel like I did my homework as I have zero issues with my Jayco. I can say that there could be a better product out there...probably is if you want to spend the $$$ but I know for a fact that there are also many crackerboxes with eyecatching chrome wheels and fancy curtains in the RV market because I passed them all up. Good luck, you will make the right decision......
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #4

We like the quality of our Jayco. It is a lot nicer than the Mountaineer we traded for it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #5

Why not?
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
I echo what Crabman says above....I never owned an RV before 2008 but spent years researching and climbing in and out of many brands of RV because when I buy something I want a quality product....I really feel like I did my homework as I have zero issues with my Jayco. I can say that there could be a better product out there...probably is if you want to spend the $$$ but I know for a fact that there are also many crackerboxes with eyecatching chrome wheels and fancy curtains in the RV market because I passed them all up. Good luck, you will make the right decision......
I went down to a local RV dealer and spent a full day being taught the different manufacture new and used. The sales man was unbelievable. He showed me top dollar RV's that where built like junk. Then he showed me good RV's for less money... Then I stumbled across this lonely RV sitting in the back corner of the lot and ask him about it.

Well at least my Jayco has a square tubed frame the full length which give it a stranger frame with less flexing. It a fiberglass body so its a bit better than the aluminum skinned Motorhome I gave up.

Then on the inside the cabinets are strong not cheap particle wood. All the bench seating is plywood and not luan board. I floor doesn't flex when you walk on it. (I'm a big man 6'2" weigh 230#) so that was plus. I fit inside without having to duck all the time. Plenty of counter space for cooking. I could go on and on...

Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #7

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Alex! We looked at quite a few "used" tt's as old as 8-10 years old. One thing we noticed with the Jayco's was that the cabinets were like new amongst other things... Great quality from day one. Plus if you get a new Jayco, it comes with a two year warranty
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #8

I'm on my second Jayco. Had a 22footer for the past ten years and just traded up to a 31foot Jayco Jayflight G2 RKS. Only had it a month and been out twice already and just love it. The quality is great compared to other units we looked at. My vote is go for it and enjoy!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #9

We looked at TT for months before we purchased our truck to make sure any TT we would purchase would fit within it's towing limits. I am not sure where you are looking at your Jayco in AZ. There are 2 main dealers in the Phoenix area. We really liked the 2 year warranty and the quality of Jayco products even though we did not actually see our exact unit or floorplan. We looked at many Jayco floorplans and specs before we zoned in on ours. We ordered it from the factory, the dealer didn't have one in stock to show us, hadn't even seen one except at their trade show. I did a lot of research, watched videos of the TT from the trade show along with dealers who had already recieved this particular floorplan. We purchased ours from Little Dealer in Deer Valley because we liked the dealer, fair trade in, gave us a great price we couldn't pass up, honest, didn't give us any run around, gave us a quote in writing and stuck to it even a week later throughout the whole process. I did alot of comparison checking, financing option and always came back to Little Dealer. Huge Service and Parts Dept. right on their site.

Our Jayco is a Jay Flight, which was their basic model TT. It has more features and stability than many we looked at. After having our TT and camping several times in it in several different climates, I would not hesitate to purchase another Jayco product. We are looking forward to our cross country trip this summer to NY pulling the TT. The first year comes with free roadside assistance. The only little concern will be the gas prices. Have to raise the budget. LOL. Enjoy the search.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #10

My dad bought one of the first Jayco popups. It was great. When it came time for me to find a fifth-wheel to go with my pickup, Jayco was for me the only brand to look at. I couldn't afford new, so I bought used. A fifteen year old rig that one of the previous owners did not take care of still had enough quality construction to last through the neglect. I've rebuilt the rear cap due to water damage, you can't tell where now. But having the trailer stripped to the wood frame in the back did show me that Jayco still builds a quality product.

My wife and I have modified a few of the interior appointments to suit our tastes, and updated some systems, like adding satellite television, satellite radio, CD, and a flat screen. We updated the graphics on the outside to replace some curled up vinyl, and we now have the new Jayco logos on the sides. We replaced the carpet and a couple of panes of glass in the bedroom. All of our appliances, from the oven to the refrigerator, are original.

We're happy with our rig. She, like many older rigs, requires a bit more maintenance than a new one. But she is paid for, and the added maintenance is a small price to pay.

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #11

Hey rray, I seen a photo of your 1995 Jayco on another post...it looked super. You did a good job rebuilding it. Hope you will add some interior photos of your remodel job. If you have a good product like your Jayco, you don't need a new one........or that monthly payment.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #12

Well, we did it! Stepped up and took our trade in today. Will be picking up "Audrey II" on Saturday.
Camping AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #13

Congrats on the new rig. Enjoy.
Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping AZ View Post
Well, we did it! Stepped up and took our trade in today. Will be picking up "Audrey II" on Saturday.
"Feed me, Seymore!"

Get a sign shop to put the name of the rig along with a picture of the carnivorous plant next to the entrance door.

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
"Feed me, Seymore!"

Get a sign shop to put the name of the rig along with a picture of the carnivorous plant next to the entrance door.
Rray32539 I got to admit I love the name of the TV and TT... Really good!
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #16

Here's something I posted in a different section of this forum.

Hopefully, it helps others - who are deciding Jwhich ayco band and which specific model might be better (in the long run) for them....

-------------------

We have a 2006 Jayco 29FBS - 1st generation JayFlight model. Bought it pre-owned from my local RV dealer (who has since closed down). Previous TT owner had it for 8 months and felt it was too big for towing. Thus, they traded it in for a 24ft 5er. And, we got a great pre-owned purchase price on this 29ft TT. For picture of 29FBS design, surf: http://images.traderonline.com//img/...mb_550x410.jpg

Luckily, I've owned several TTs during the years and look past the Jayco brand name. For "open concept", I love our 2006 Jayco. For seperate bath tub and washroom area (only on FBS models), I love our 2006 Jayco. On the bad side, our 2006 Jayco has "dry fit" factory windows. Each of its windows had to be re-sealled. Our 2006 jayco has factory "useless" Fibreglass batting insulation. Actually, that stuff holds water and critters love it as well. Especially its underbelly insulation. Wish Jayco would start using Spray Foam in their walls, ceiling and underbelly areas. At factory with mass production down assembly lines, Spray Foam insulation would cost very little more. Our 2006 Jayco's slide roof is starting to leak as well. Thus, I must install a slide topper on its slide this spring. Hoping a slide topper will stop future water damage. For solidness (re: less creeking sounds when towing and walking across its floor), I find our previous '93 Prowler was much more solid. Our older Prowler box felt solid and even looked solid. Before Spray Foam, our Jayco squeeked while walking across its floor.

I hear Jayco Eagle models are better quality compared to their Jayflight models. Next time around, I'd focus more on the Eagle models. And, focus on factory Spray Foam or vaccum bonded foam trailer construction. After having spray foam under our Jayco's TT's underbelly, I'd never go back to traditional fibreglass insulation again. And if I must, it would be upgraded to contractor grade spray foam the 2nd day its factory warranty expired. That's how impressed I am with proper Closed Cell - 2 lbs Spray Foam @ 3.5 - 4.0" thick (on a TT build).

Would I buy Jayco again? The Jury is still out. I can tell you that our previous '93 Prowler was more solid, had better construction materials and overall, its solid floor bottom (re: all its heating and electrical lines where within the chassis core) stopped critter entry as well. And, its windows were properly sealed with puddy as well. If it wasn't the need for more inner space, I would have kept our previous 19ft Prowler TT. Hopefully, the Eagle models are better "long term" quality than 1st generation Jayflight models (like my 2006 29FBS TT).

Overall, I'd give our Jayco a 7.5 out of 10. 9.9 if they used factory Spray Foam in their walls, ceiling and underbelly areas. IMO, minimum traikler build should be Spray Foam - CC @ 2lbs. And, come with factory surge protection as well....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #17

jayco quality

I own a Jayco 32 ft. designer with just about the same layout you have except it has two slides. It sits in a permanent campground in Maine.
Been camping since 1963 and have had a Coachman, Citation, Yellowstone, Coleman, Puritan and Jayco.
Am here to tell you without a shadow of a doubt, Jayco was by far the best product.
Few weeks ago I just purchased my third Jayco a Skylark simply to do some travelling. Did not get rid of my Designer, my wife simply loves that trailer.
Good luck with your decision, hope if you decide on the Jayco you are as happy with it as my family has been with ours.
Happy trailering
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote