Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #1

Why new RV'ers will disappear

Yesterday the following occurred.
1. Woke up and noticed water regulator gauge had broken; wasn't even freezing the night before.
2. Checked the propane tank levels (after purchasing two new gauges a few months ago) and saw they were both near empty. I had just filled them both 3 days before. Found out later both gauges were not accurate.
3. While traveling the plastic fender above the wheel on the TT decided to go flying. Have to replace it.
4. High winds along the road (not above 15 mph): Lost my second propane tank lid. Bought a new one and fastened it on with radiator clamps.
3. Check engine light went on.

We have been RV'ing for 4 years. None of this was especially concerning except the check engine light. (I recognized that gas station attendent didn't put the gas cap back on correctly and light is now off). But, my point is that these things happen in the RV life and while it didn't really phase us, at the end of the day I was a bit irriated. Many people who think that RV'ing is like staying in a hotel are not going to last.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 03-11-2022, 12:45 PM   #2

I hope you are right. The shear number of "Covid Camper" out there is staggering. You can spot them a mile away at a campground. They are the ones who have no understanding of campground etiquette, Can't back their RV to save their lives, have no concept of how to use any of the hundreds of dollars worth of "gear" they bought and the list goes on and on. But they ran out and bought the first camper they saw on a lot with little or no research.

It is nearly impossible to find weekend sites at many campgrounds even a few months in advance. Hopefully some trips as you describe will encourage them to go back to staying in their hotels and sell their campers!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 03-11-2022, 01:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Can't back their RV to save their lives, have no concept of how to use any of the hundreds of dollars worth of "gear" they bought and the list goes on and on.
Humm, you have not meet my brother than. He's been camping longer than me. He has absolutely no ability to back up a trailer. Buys new gadgets every time they go out camping. Which is not as much anymore, as he has begun hate all the effort of camping, and complains because something always breaks. (he does no preventative maintenance on anything). When they go camping now, they always tag along with us.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 03-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #4

Sounds like your bro-in-law is smarter then you give him credit 4. He knows who to go camping with. Why do preventative maintenance when he has you
Old 03-11-2022, 01:32 PM   #5

Saw a guy last year that tried to dump his black and gray tanks without a hose. Made one huge mess. The CG owner was not happy.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #6

I think in order to be successful at the Rv/camping life style ,you have to understand the definition of “ sh%t happens” . It also helps to be flexible and patient with what ever is thrown at you. I hope there is a fair amount of new folks coming into this life style that give it up before they learn. DW and I gave up finding places on the weekend Along time ago, being retired gave us that flexibility.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjNewbie30 View Post
Sounds like your bro-in-law is smarter then you give him credit 4. He knows who to go camping with. Why do preventative maintenance when he has you
In Florida it's said that's it's nice to have a boat, but better if your neighbor has one.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjNewbie30 View Post
You have met my brother . I have fixed a lot of things for him.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 03-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #9

Milpitas, my old HOME! Love that area. I was working a tech start up from inception to going public 1984 to 1996 out there. Fond memories.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
Old 03-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Humm, you have not meet my brother than. He's been camping longer than me. He has absolutely no ability to back up a trailer. Buys new gadgets every time they go out camping. Which is not as much anymore, as he has begun hate all the effort of camping, and complains because something always breaks. (he does no preventative maintenance on anything). When they go camping now, they always tag along with us.
Ha! I never said the "Covid Campers" were the only ones! I'm guessing your brother is at a minimum respectful of others while camping?? I'm pretty sure many of us have encountered a "Covid Camper" over the past 2 years...
Old 03-12-2022, 07:04 AM   #11

Everyone was a new RV'er once. Don't think you're so special or entitled simply because you've been around a while. No one starts out being an expert at anything.

Everyone deserves a chance to enjoy RVing.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:10 AM   #12

Just glad I am not 10 deep in line at the boat ramp. That's where the real show is.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:26 AM   #13

Then there's me, who has never RVed before and just bought a Class A and going full-time in 2 weeks. I'm already fixing my own wiring problems.

I agree that anyone who thinks RVing is like staying in a mobile hotel is in for a shock, but some, like me, I think/hope are also going into it with their eyes wide open and understanding, generally, what they're getting into.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9001 View Post
Everyone was a new RV'er once. Don't think you're so special or entitled simply because you've been around a while. No one starts out being an expert at anything.

I absolutely agree with what you stated, but I do think some of the new campers are not only less likely follow some of the expected norms. And, some seem downright against the idea of staying out of other's campsite and not disturbing everyone around them. I don't recall that being the case over the last 20 years.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by demsullivan View Post
Then there's me, who has never RVed before and just bought a Class A and going full-time in 2 weeks. I'm already fixing my own wiring problems.

I agree that anyone who thinks RVing is like staying in a mobile hotel is in for a shock, but some, like me, I think/hope are also going into it with their eyes wide open and understanding, generally, what they're getting into.
You can park/camp next to us anytime you want!!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #16

I bought my first rv in 1971, a new Midas Smokey 16 footer. Since then I, and as of 35 years ago, wife and I have continually had an rv, either a trailer, or motor home. We have been across the USA at least 7 times, Canada, Alaska numerous times' and uncountable long weekend, and short trips. Total I think we have around 500,000 miles under our belts.
And we still look forward to each and every get-away, even if its only for a long weekend.
We recently sold our motor home and toad, and downsized to a Jayco 24RL. No more 2, 3, 4 month trips as we're scaling down to just a few weeks at a time, and lots of long weekends as we are slowing down a bit.
But even for the short trips we look forward to, and are excited to visit different areas that we haven't been to.
I hope it never gets old for us !!!
Old 03-12-2022, 08:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
You can park/camp next to us anytime you want!!

I should also point out re: camping etiquette that my wife and I are quiet and keep to ourselves largely, so I'm sure you'd be glad to have us next to you!
Old 03-12-2022, 10:51 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9001 View Post

You are absolutely correct. We all were new at one point or another. However, I have a general observation that I have noticed over the last 5 years or so. When many of us started camping, we had older used units or tents that we got our feet wet with. They required quite a bit of maintenance to be usable. We didn't have much money invested in them and we made the best with what we had. Fast forward to the last few years and many people are jumping in to RVing with tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands, invested in new trailers, trucks, motorhomes, chairs, grills, tv's, entertainment systems, kayaks, high end bicycles, golf carts, and the list goes on. When you have a lot of $$$$$ invested in something, you have a certain level of expectation. People expect their $100K RV to be perfect, as they should. The same level of expectation simply isn't there when that investment is minimal. How many times have we heard recently "I've spent X amount of money, I expect....."?

Please don't take me the wrong way, I don't have anything specifically against anything that I listed above. I firmly believe that people should enjoy RVing in the way they want. However, I think many new owners would be a lot happier if they simplified their approach a little starting out.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 03-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
You are absolutely correct. We all were new at one point or another. However, I have a general observation that I have noticed over the last 5 years or so. When many of us started camping, we had older used units or tents that we got our feet wet with. They required quite a bit of maintenance to be usable. We didn't have much money invested in them and we made the best with what we had. Fast forward to the last few years and many people are jumping in to RVing with tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands, invested in new trailers, trucks, motorhomes, chairs, grills, tv's, entertainment systems, kayaks, high end bicycles, golf carts, and the list goes on. When you have a lot of $$$$$ invested in something, you have a certain level of expectation. People expect their $100K RV to be perfect, as they should. The same level of expectation simply isn't there when that investment is minimal. How many times have we heard recently "I've spent X amount of money, I expect....."?

Please don't take me the wrong way, I don't have anything specifically against anything that I listed above. I firmly believe that people should enjoy RVing in the way they want. However, I think many new owners would be a lot happier if they simplified their approach a little starting out.
I agree and I will also add that when many of us started we took the time to educate ourselves and learn the ropes with those entry level campers. We also learned from those with more experience than we had just like many do here by joining this forum and asking questions. We didn't have access to nearly as much online info as there is today and some of us maybe had no access so that forced us to learn in person. It just seems to me and this is simply my observation, that there are way more inconsiderate campers out there now than way back when. There seems to be a lack of respect for others in RV'ing that never used to be there.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I agree and I will also add that when many of us started we took the time to educate ourselves and learn the ropes with those entry level campers. We also learned from those with more experience than we had just like many do here by joining this forum and asking questions. We didn't have access to nearly as much online info as there is today and some of us maybe had no access so that forced us to learn in person. It just seems to me and this is simply my observation, that there are way more inconsiderate campers out there now than way back when. There seems to be a lack of respect for others in RV'ing that never used to be there.
Very much agree. Years ago campers were for the most part, always considerate of each other, didn't intrude onto your spot, no gennys at night, no lighting displays after bed time, no "drinking parties" and games of "lets see who can hit the tree with empty beer cans", and you always left NO trash at your spot.
We learned to be respectful when stopping to ask for directions, cause sometimes the maps weren't so accurate, or the red barn where we were supposed to turn, had burned down or torn down or painted.
We learned by asking for help instead of taking the attitude of "I can do it, don't need anyone showing me how to do it". Learned how to DIY cause dealers and repair shops were almost non-existent, and knew to ask the old timer in the campground for help, cause he probably knew EVERYTHING !
Right now as it's snowing here in Va., we're looking forward to picking up our new trailer Wednesday, bringing it home to outfit, and getting back on the road. Already have 4 trips planned out for the season, and we can't wait.
We're in our 70's, but we're acting like kids again with the anticipation of our new rig, and up-coming trips.
I think that there will always be those who start out rv'ing with certain expectations, but when they don't happen, they become unhappy, whether due to the rv itself, their travel plans, their destinations. And they leave. You will have those types in any endeavor, any hobby, who just give up.
Closed Thread