Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

Wifi booster for tv

We have been to a number of RV parks and the wifi isn't quite what we would like. I am looking for a booster, but what I find is to boost our cell phone reception, will this also help our wifi signal from the park?
TIA,
Tom and Nena
trockyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #2

I had the older version of this and it worked well.

https://www.alfa.com.tw/products_detail/182.htm
Old 07-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

We have a weboost cell phone booster, which works great.
It does not boost WiFi signals from the campgrounds.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #4

Bearifi BearExtender Outdoor RV & Marine High Power USB Wi-Fi Extender Antenna for
$54.97

Saw this one, not as good but the price is right if you have low but almost good enough WIFI. Simple set up and use, but not the most powerful.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trockyh View Post
We have been to a number of RV parks and the wifi isn't quite what we would like. I am looking for a booster, but what I find is to boost our cell phone reception, will this also help our wifi signal from the park?
TIA,
Tom and Nena
First, understand that WiFi and phone signals are distinct, and separate. A booster for your phone signal will do nothing for WiFi, and vice versa *

Your topic mentions TV.. in this case, I assume you're talking about streaming TV programs online, via the WiFi connection?. Keep in mind that most campground WiFi is of limited bandwidth, notvreally suitable for extensive video traffic... especially if more than one user is active.
A lot of campgrounds will limit the connection speed, or cap the amount of data you can use, so, no matter how boosted your signal, you may not be able to stream TV..

(* yes, you can often make phone calls via WiFi if your phone is set right)
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Bearifi BearExtender Outdoor RV & Marine High Power USB Wi-Fi Extender Antenna for
$54.97

Saw this one, not as good but the price is right if you have low but almost good enough WIFI. Simple set up and use, but not the most powerful.
Thank you for your reply, it sounds like it works great, but then I read it doesnt work with Mac iOS .
Old 07-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #7

Yes it is for TV, phones work in most places enough to send text if the need arises. Youtube is our goto for watching.
Off this subject a bit, we just purchased this 5th wheel a couple weeks ago and I have yet to get any over the air channels. The Jayco 195 Baja we had before this got channels in the same areas we are trying now. I haven't checked the connection on the roof yet, maybe they didn't connect it.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:03 PM   #8

For the other the air antenna, does the cable plug behind the tv have a little switch next to it that turns on a little green light? The light needs to be on, it amplifies the signal from the antenna.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
First, understand that WiFi and phone signals are distinct, and separate. A booster for your phone signal will do nothing for WiFi, and vice versa *

Your topic mentions TV.. in this case, I assume you're talking about streaming TV programs online, via the WiFi connection?. Keep in mind that most campground WiFi is of limited bandwidth, notvreally suitable for extensive video traffic... especially if more than one user is active.
A lot of campgrounds will limit the connection speed, or cap the amount of data you can use, so, no matter how boosted your signal, you may not be able to stream TV..

(* yes, you can often make phone calls via WiFi if your phone is set right)
There is a lot of truth in this post. All it takes is 1 or 2 users to start streaming and the whole wifi slows to a snails pace. A wifi booster might strengthen the signal you pull in at your site but does not have any impact on the original bandwidth coming out of the router/wifi unit at the office. All you would be doing is adding to the problem that will ruin access by everyone. That is why most who are wanting to stream video, have gone the direction of using a cell hotspot.

I don't stream but like to access a CG wifi occasionally to check emails or read news headlines. Mid day or early morning I have the best luck but starting early evening the wifi speed goes to zip and you can't even load a website or get booted up.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trockyh View Post
TIA,
Tom and Nena
Trockyh - Most campsites outside the city have limited cellular connectivity due to the distance to the cell tower and the terrain (hills/trees/etc.). You can get a cell booster that will amplify a cell signal but it's basically an antenna (receiver). That means ideally it'll be on top of your rig (vs. inside it) for best results. The same rules apply for WIFI - You'll need an antenna that will boost the available signal to your device. Most campgrounds limit how much you can use so it may not matter how good the signal is. Apply the same idea for TV (OTA) - A directional antenna towards the TV station. (tvfool.com) Last thought - You're camping. While it's nice to talk it up on the phone and watch TV, get outside and see what nature has to offer!
Old 07-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #11
Site Team

As WeRJuliian mention in the post, Wi-Fi and Cell frequencies are different. So, a Wi-Fi signal booster will do nothing for a Cell signal and visa versa.

If you are looking for a cell phone signal booster, skip any that do not have an exterior antenna. Well, the same goes for a Wi-Fi signal booster.

Click here to go to a thread where I actually show the results of an amplified and non-amplified signal on my cell phone screen prints (bars on upper left corner). Even had a nasty storm going on when I did the comparison. Our location is the blue dot in the center of the pictures, in a valley in the mountains. Scroll down to post #16.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote