Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 01:21 AM   #1

Will Jayco Survive?

2021 was a banner year for the RV industry in many ways. From record profits to record supply chain problems, everyone's head seems to be spinning. I purchased a brand new 264BHW last August. I camped in it once. It has been in the shop 3 times, the third time was in November of last year. It's still there. It has literally spent more time waiting for repair than in my possession.

The trailer was delivered without functioning brakes. I had the power center (fuse box/converter assembly) fall out and sit on the floor. The refer is waiting to be replaced entirely because flame would shoot out the side when I tired to run it on propane because it was damaged during install at the factory. The AC will only run on high. The ceiling panel was not fastened to the roof in places. There were numerous cosmetic issues including half dollar size gouges in the walls from the factory.

I know we all have horror stories about issues with our rolling earthquakes, some worse than others. We all also heard that dealers were up in arms about the quality of product delivered last year. There are rumors floating around that Thor Industries may be shutting down under-performing divisions.

I have to wonder: Will I soon own an orphaned RV? Will the warranty that came with my trailer be worth anything in 6 months? What else will I find that falls apart when I take it out for its second trip, and will I get it fixed before the trailer is out of warranty?

I'm seriously wondering if I made a really bad decision buying what I did when I did.

Any thoughts?
2 kids
1 dog
Old 03-14-2022, 02:57 AM   #2

That's a good question, and there will be many different opinions in the answers.

I have been a fan of Jayco for many years, but not sure if I will make the transition to Thor. Like so many other products, we have been told that there will be great improvements because of improved processes when the conglomerates take over. We now know that is false. It's more marketing than actual improvement. What we are getting is inferior products at inflated prices. As consumers we are being fed crap and told that's it's ice cream. It's found in almost all products and services, and it won't last. (Maybe it's not supposed to, but that's another story and this isn't the forum to discuss that.)

Travel trailers are simple technology and work well until they are improved to the extent they no longer function as intended. The manufacturers need to simplify and build with QUALITY processes and products. They tell us they are doing that but we know better.

Did you buy the wrong product at the wrong time? Probably not. You know why you bought it. Get it fixed and enjoy it - hopefully for years to come.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:03 AM   #3

As long as the employees in these RV manufacturing facilities are paid according to their speed and not according to their accuracy, there will always be issues.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:11 AM   #4

In purchasing a new automobile, if the same problem is not fixed within 3 visits to a dealership for repair, you can file (and win) a lemon law claim.

Is there not a lemon law protection with RV's?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
Old 03-14-2022, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
In purchasing a new automobile, if the same problem is not fixed within 3 visits to a dealership for repair, you can file (and win) a lemon law claim.

Short answer no, there isn't.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Depends on the State...each is different.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:48 AM   #7

I have been shopping motorhomes for about a year. What a cluster!

It looks like quality has always been an issue, then the boom. It is nuts now.

I admire the OP being so honest. Too many folks never want to consider what they bought is a bad choice.

I am surprised there are not more lawsuits.

OP I hope you get it lined out. Seeing America is a real adventure. We have beautiful sites and wonderful people.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:04 AM   #8

I have an 2019 321 RSTS that had its share of issues. All of which the dealer failed on to correct during warranty.. I learned quickly that the factory warranty is basically meaningless and dealers are experts at passing Bull Chit. I also leaned that extended warranties are worthless and i highly recommend everyone to stay away from them. Other forums that allow such discussions are talking about class action law suits in regards to the warranty issues and their expiration period while RV's are in for repair.. Some manufactures are extending warranty periods for the length of time an RV is sitting waiting for parts. Although i have not heard Jayco doing this yet, i would contact them. Good Luck.. Keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:53 AM   #9

Jayco will be fine...or not

The TT / RV landscape is littered with defunct companies that tried to build a better product. But in the end, customers repeatedly voted with their wallets. They chose low price over high quality and most of those companies are gone. So as long as Jayco keeps their prices low the customer will continue to buy their products, no matter the quality.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 03-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #10

Sales 101. Every customer wants three things.

Best Performing Product.
Highest Quality.
Lowest Price.

Every salesman has the same offer..."Pick Two".

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
Old 03-14-2022, 10:17 AM   #11

My 2017 had essentially no issues... AC, fridge, heater, TV, microwave all working fine after our 10-night Disney trip last week, which saw temps reach 89 to as low as 20.

Thought about upgrading it throughout the years but will not now because my luck will run out.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:42 PM   #12

All I have to say, is thank goodness we got we we have when we got it - great price, great floor plan for us...sure had a couple of problems that took several months to fix back in 2020. (bad AC, warped wall replaced all under warranty)... mostly waiting on Jayco approval and parts arrival, but haven't had too many other problems with ours that were not self induced ...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Old 03-15-2022, 04:11 AM   #13

I bought used, from my brother in law. Low mileage (60K when I bought it), and most of the quirks I read about here are either fixed or never happened. I am currently working on a slider (needs adjustment), and the house battery disconnect (was disabled by a previous owner).

In reading all the issues with new campers/RV's, I'm happy I went with this one. I don't have nearly the investment that some of those who have posted here have.

2007 Ford F150
Old 03-15-2022, 04:36 AM   #14

Will Jayco survive….. of course. They’re not an outlier as far as quality is concerned. Also, Jayco is fairly inexpensive as RV’s go from a bang for the buck perspective. I’ve got a friend picking up an Oliver travel trailer. Cost almost as much as my fifth wheel but way smaller. I’d imagine the quality is a step above though aside from the components. I had my bearings packed at a place that sells ATC trailers. Again, way more expensive and look stout compared to my Jayco.

This is not to say they’re cheap. That’s all relative, and to me, my FW was expensive. Not saying it’s right that all the stuff we have deal with on a new unit, but it’s not enough to cause people to stop buying.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
Old 03-15-2022, 06:20 AM   #15

We're all internet users. We all know what kinds of information is available on the internet. So, when I post something I suspect you put it in the "for what it's worth" category.

That said, here's another one: https://www.rvtravel.com/pathetic-qu...oducing-1017b/

Jayco isn't being singled out here, but they aren't being eliminated either.

... hoping to save an uniformed consumer a headache, and let Thor know we know what's going on.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:22 AM   #16

Is it safer to say that a clean, older RV is worth more, seeing as how it was built with better quality? What' the cutoff year that RV's began to get bad in quality?

I have a tree cutting guy who stops by my house at least once or twice a month asking if my 2005 Jayco Greyhawk is for sale yet. My answer is always no, and I'm thinking now with all the issues I'm reading on newer RV's, I will hold on to it for many years to come.

2007 Ford F150
Old 03-15-2022, 11:03 AM   #17

Can I say that my 2006 or 2001 or 1992 Rv's were better built than my 2020. No. In fact I believe the 2020 is a better all around unit with nicer materials. I don't believe it's built better just nicer. I have been pretty lucky with my rigs over the years. Now I will say this, if you are handy fixing stuff it makes life so much easier than always going back to a dealer for little stuff. Even if it cost a few bucks in parts it's cheaper than wasting my time and gas going for warranty work. My 2 year warranty is about to expire and I have not had a reason to bring it in. Is there some truth to a Covis unit with bad quality. I can only imagine. We are seeing issues in my line of work so it is happening just about everywhere. All I can say if your buying today, make sure you know what your getting into before you open your wallet.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #18

All new RV units have their quirks. Jayco, as well as most of the others will be just fine and around for years to come. As long as they have pansies like us buying their product.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
Old 03-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #19

TWP723, You, me, or anyone else does not have to have any regrets about our RV purchases. It's what we like to do. Thor and the others should be concerned about killing the goose that's laying the golden egg for them.

If I traded now, I would buy used - and not from a dealer. Those of that like new usually say we don't want somebody else's problems, but as it is that's what we're getting - and paying top dollar for it.

There were some real flags for me in the linked article in the post above. I understand what the dealer was trying to say and I can accept it as said. The other view is - I know I'm selling defective units and so what. I would like to ask him if he has ever refused service after a sale.

Another was the bottom line where the chairman is crowing about a record number of units being produced. I'm wondering if they produced a record amount of junk?

I have been working with a local (Tampa area) utility trailer builder that has put RV options into their builds. They started the program because there was is so much dissatisfaction among RV buyers. That, and increased used purchases, could be the start of the fall for the builders.

All that said, I agree with TxLoser's post above; that people will continue to buy them.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:08 PM   #20
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Fact is it goes by state. In Arizona there is.

This again is like another thread where I said many of these issues are not necessarily Jayco. There are so many parts in the RV that are supplied by other companies that slamming the RV company is not fair to them unless you look at the construction of the box and not the parts in it.

Closed Thread