Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2018, 11:04 PM   #1

Window leakage 2018 28.5RSTS HT fifth wheel

I just went through major Upper Michigan wind and massive rain. Rear slider window had water steady running from top framing onto couch and down wall. Has anyone else had this issue? Dealer will be looking at, repairing asap.
wyom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:03 AM   #2

Had the same thing happen this past weekend on our Precept only its on the drivers window. Sounds like the same kind of leak tho, water leaking from the top of the window frame. Dealer was notified and will address it. Only problem is we are putting it in storage this week (inside) so will have to wait till spring for repair. Keep us posted on your repair.

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:17 AM   #3

Rear window leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMA385 View Post
Had the same thing happen this past weekend on our Precept only its on the drivers window. Sounds like the same kind of leak tho, water leaking from the top of the window frame. Dealer was notified and will address it. Only problem is we are putting it in storage this week (inside) so will have to wait till spring for repair. Keep us posted on your repair.
The leak I had was also pouring in steady from driver side top frame. Crawled up there yesterday. Window, back up camera, and back up light looked sealed good. Wondering if air conditioner loosened up? And is leaking from their. More rain coming so to dealer this morning.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #4

Out of curiosity, are they standard windows or frameless?
JaycoGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoGreg View Post
Out of curiosity, are they standard windows or frameless?
They are standard slider windows. The one that leaked was the big one in back. It leaked from the top behind the window box dressing. Dealer ship did not find why and stated because of hard rain and 50 plus mph wind it leaked the one time. Dealer hasbeen very hard to work with since purchase. I will be using a different Jayco dealer with an appointment scheduled Nov. 6 for a propane compartment door and frame replacement. They will look at window.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:34 AM   #6

I also looked at backup.camera, back up light. All looked good. Asked dealer about a.c. loosening up they said looked good. So nothing found, nothing fixed.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:37 AM   #7

Dealership I bought from is worst I've dealt with in 25 years of rv ing. Bad workmanship and will lie through their crooked smile. Good purchase price and that is it.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:49 AM   #8

Here is one thing you can check. I would've hoped the dealership checked this but who knows. On the standard RV windows there are little slots cut in the exterior of the window frame which allows condensation from the inside of the glass to drain out the exterior through those slots. For whatever reason they cut those slots at the top and bottom of the window I presume so they can install the window in either orientation. The only slots needed are the bottom ones since the condensation runs to the bottom so they plug the top slots. These plugs have been know to blow out going down the road and cause water issues which would present itself from the top portion of the window. I experienced this with my old Grand Design 5th wheel. Also, even if the plugs are there, it's possible they are leaking. What I ended up doing was pulling all of them out and filling them in with ProFlex Sealant. I don't know if this is your issue or not but it may be worth looking at as it's a simple fix and probably a good thing to do anyway. Whatever you do, don't plug the bottom holes or the condensation that forms on you window will not drain and will eventually run down your interior wall. Also, keep an eye on your bottom slots as they are know to become clogged with crud overtime which can lead to the same thing. Hope that helps!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:56 AM   #9

I did see the slots on top. Makes no sense.Thanks for advice to fill top ones. I still say there has to be a reason they leaked on top.This is my third fifth wheel and fourth rv. The only one that leaked at a window was an old truck slide in I bought for $700 many years ago.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #10

If the slots at the top are open then it's a good chance that's where the water is getting in. Have you checked the lap sealants on the roof? I assume this is a fiberglass trailer so if it's coming from above and down inside the wall you could end up with wall delamination. Water leaks can be a real pain in the @$$ to track down sometimes.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #11

I still think the water came from air conditioning Cut out. Dealer says no.but everything else looks sealed. I'm having a different dealership look at it Nov 6. yes it is fiberglass. My purchase dealer does not want to work to hard at finding something and to be honest I would not want them to pull out window or a.c.. I no longer trust them
Old 04-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #12

wyom.. wondering if you found the source of your leak? our 28.5 RSTS has new leak "pouring in" from passenger side of rear frameless rear window enough to run across floor. Curiously the lens cover over the top LED running lights above the camera must have popped off during our travels. Cant see any sealant issues on the roof, haven't crawled up to examine the LED fitting.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #13

We just had our passengers side slide window replaced because it leaked. Has actually been happening for a couple years. Of course dealer couldn't identify it until it was past warranty. They said they are having a hard time getting Jayco to cover problems IN the warranty time frame
Salliemeandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #14

We have a the identical fifth wheel and year and had the same problem. Ours have the frameless window in the rear. The factory doesn't use any sealant at all one the windows there is a foam gasket and with such a wide window it doesn't work. the dealer removed it and the foam gasket (it is only about 1/16" thick) then they used butyl tape and reinstalled the window and it has been fine since.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #15

Slider window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyom2 View Post
I just went through major Upper Michigan wind and massive rain. Rear slider window had water steady running from top framing onto couch and down wall. Has anyone else had this issue? Dealer will be looking at, repairing asap.
We've got a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS but I'm not clear on "rear slider window". Most all of the windows on our 5th wheel are frameless (open from bottom and out with twisting handle). The only slider type windows we have are on the dining slide out and they haven't leaked (yet). Do you have pics?
Old 10-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #16
eow

FWIIW:

On both my current FW and previous TT frameless windows, the screws that "clamp" the window to the sidewall, were loose, and in one case, a broken screw that was left in the frame prevented it from being clamped tight. Inspect from the inside closely for anything that would prevent the window from being clamped tight. Deal with any of those issues and then tighten all the screws is my recommendation.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #17

Sorry about the bad wording! It is the back facing window in the dining room slide.
Salliemeandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:27 AM   #18

This is the window that has ben leaking for me too. This surely is a workmanship problem. Bine is 29.5 too.

Tags
leaking window