Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

Winter Camping with Slide Outs (WI)

I know it's too soon to bring this up but it seems that before you know it, the snow in Wisconsin is flying.

On our last camper (25BHS) I put a hunk of plastic that went from the roof of the camper to the outside edge of the slide out. I did this to keep the snow off of the flat roof of the slide out. It worked great the first year and then during the second year the wind was "just right" and it lifted and broke apart - I had it secured to the camper frame with 4 lines (one in each corner).

My camper stays on our property year round and we use it year round. The new camper has 3 slide outs on it and I am debating about leaving them out without putting anything on top of the slide out roofs. One of the concerns that I have with putting something on the roof is it would be resting on top of the rubber roof. Plus with 3 of these "roofs" added it would become an eyesore.

Where we keep our camper, we can have up to 3 feet of snow on the ground - granted it doesn't all fall in one storm. We normally are there once a month in the winter so I would be able to use a "roof rake" to remove the excess snow when we go there.

2000 10' popup
2000 30' with triple bunks.
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Type-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #2

Why not add toppers? That's your best protection. We woke up to 7" of snow one morning in Denver, used the roof rake and pulled the snow right off the topper.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Why not add toppers? That's your best protection. We woke up to 7" of snow one morning in Denver, used the roof rake and pulled the snow right off the topper.
Are you talking about those retractable slide out awnings?

2000 10' popup
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Old 08-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-A View Post
Are you talking about those retractable slide out awnings?
Yep
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #5

If its your property and you plan on being their long term I would consider putting up a freestanding car port to cover the whole rv. Several of our friends use one to cover their RV or boat while stored at home. You could probably put one up big enough for the RV for $3500 or less.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #6

Winter Camping with Slide Outs (WI)

Carport. You'll spend $700 each on the toppers installed.

The slide out roof is a ticking time bomb if you leave it out for extended periods. There are a lot of "corners" and flat roof to capture water... And debris. The debris could be leaves or pine needles, or even ragweed that collects. (And a small pile of debris is just a sponge to hold onto water, as it makes its way under the eterna bond Jayco uses at the slide roof/exterior wall interface.)

Either way, a topper or carport should be on your wish list. Carport won't degrade in ultra violet rays like the fabric of a topper.

Toppers and slide outs are intended for short durations, and NOTHING as severe as a Wisconsin winter!

At one of the local condoed seasonal campgrounds, I provide significant permitting services for the owners: in New Hampshire most towns require seasonal owners who construct a carport or stick built roof over their travel trailers or FWs to get permitted through planning and zoning.

Out west the county probably has jurisdiction, but I'm guessing the county will be much easier to work with than the local-rule mentality of back east.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #7

We had a metal carport installed here at home to store our travel trailer under, It measures 26 ft, long. 18 ft wide and has 10 ft legs, Delivered and installed here in Missouri total cost was under $1,500.00. We installed the sidewalls after it was installed at our own expense. With the hail storms we have I felt this was a good investment.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

How about getting 5/8 plywood and cover the slides. Slide toppers will stretch and there goes about 700.00/ Up where we are now there are people that have plywood coverinng the slide and also have the fiberglass corragated fiberglass also. They keep there slides out all winter. Don't think that they get all the snow that you get. Just a thought.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #9

Personally I would pull the slides in during the winter while gone. Have a ladder and a broom, to brush off the roof before pulling them in.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
How about getting 5/8 plywood and cover the slides. Slide toppers will stretch and there goes about 700.00/ Up where we are now there are people that have plywood coverinng the slide and also have the fiberglass corragated fiberglass also. They keep there slides out all winter. Don't think that they get all the snow that you get. Just a thought.
This is similar to what we did on the last camper and will more than likely be the same route we take this one.

2000 10' popup
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Old 10-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #11

Well I improved on the idea that I had with the last camper and here's the results... 2x2 green treated frame (2' on center), 1/2" green treated plywood and then the plastic roofing material.

2000 10' popup
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Old 10-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #12

Follow up on slide cover

I know this is pretty old, just wondering if these slide-out covers worked as planned? We park our trailer at a park in the winter and use it every few weekends, and I'm not sure about leaving the slide out all season long covered in snow...
theflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #13
Site Team

The OP has not checked in with us in 3 years.

Just looking at the pics, I have seen lighter weight homemade covers. I would worry about damage to the roof with that wood resting on the material.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote