Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #1

winterizing

New to RVs ' I have a 2012 25 RKS Jayco and I have no idea how to winterize it other than blow out lines. How much pressure is too much, what about the tanks and sink traps ect ect
Casey Golema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #2

When blowing out you don't really need much pressure, you need air volume. My process is to make sure at least one tap is always open any time the air is connected, because I have no idea how much pressure it would take to cause an issue.

Open one tap cold side, stand tehre until that is blowing only air, open that same tap hot side, then close cold side, then once hot side is clear, walk to next tap, open that cold side, walk back and close first tap hot side etc.

Pour "some" antifreeze into each sink, tub, shower, and down the toilet. It doesn't take much. Make sure the fresh tank drain is open. Then I drain the little bits that end up in the black and grey tanks into a bucket and dispose, it's usually a gallon or so.

Oh yeah, drain and bypass your water heater tank before you do any of this.

Then I pull my batteries and take them home to charge and put them in my basement. I usually charge them again halfway through winter and once again before I reinstall for the next season.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Golema View Post
New to RVs ' I have a 2012 25 RKS Jayco and I have no idea how to winterize it other than blow out lines. How much pressure is too much, what about the tanks and sink traps ect ect
I blow mine out at 40psi, PEX is rated to 100psi but I would trust that Jayco built the system to spec and that much is not needed anyway. Also make sure if you have an exterior shower to blow it out.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:32 AM   #4

I've read/heard (can't remember source) that 25-30psi is safe and effective and what I use when blowing out the water lines on my GH. Google it and see what everyone else says.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I blow mine out at 40psi, PEX is rated to 100psi but I would trust that Jayco built the system to spec and that much is not needed anyway. Also make sure if you have an exterior shower to blow it out.
I agree I wouldn't be worried about blowing apart the PEX itself, but the connections, and the fittings. Probably not going to destroy anything at 40 PSI, but easy enough to always leave one faucet open.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post

Oh yeah, drain and bypass your water heater tank before you do any of this.
Any reason to this if the plug is installed? I usually don't mess w/ this after draining it; that is, the plug goes back in to keep critters out.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Team

We put the plug back in, too, but bypassing the water heater keeps the antifreeze out, and you don't want 6 gallons of A/F in it when you pump it through the pipes. Being in Texas, you may not even use the A/F in it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #8

Hi, new to winterizing here, do I need to do anything to the black tank, other than put some antifreeze down the bowl?

Jayfeather 16 XRB
Ford Explorer V8
MagooIsBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagooIsBoo View Post
Hi, new to winterizing here, do I need to do anything to the black tank, other than put some antifreeze down the bowl?
Make sure to blow out the line for the tank flush system if you have one installed. I also make sure to leave some antifreeze in the bowl to keep the seal wet.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote