Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

Winterizing

Really sorry about another winterizing post but just looking to clear something up.
Our 339FLQS (like many others) has all the small valves in one spot to switch for dry camping, city water, sanitize, and winterize etc. When set in the proper positions they do each of these functions.
To winterize is it really just as easy as setting valves to winterize and go through the motions of draining hot water tank, purging lines/faucets until pink comes out and adding a bit more to the traps?
Do you need to function any other valves into different positions to ensure no water is trapped in any elbows etc behind the panel or down any lines? Being used to hooking directly up to the pump this just seems too easy compared to our older RV's.
Thanks much for replies.
Cheers
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:26 AM   #2

Always worked fine for me. Just be sure to open and close the low point drains to be sure no water is trapped in them.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #3

Started being suspicious when only got about a cup out of low point drains. Then after winterizing I switched from the winterize position to I believe it was sanitize (without pump running) and I got about a liter of fresh water out of the cold low point drain. Makes me think that something is wrong with the way its plumbed..(that could never happen lol).
Guess I will let the service dept. know
Old 10-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #4

Hot & Cold low point valves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Always worked fine for me. Just be sure to open and close the low point drains to be sure no water is trapped in them.

I see only one valve under my 339flqs. The Red & Blue lines underneath the RV do not have any caps or valves that I can see. Are they located inside somewhere?
talessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by talessandro View Post
I see only one valve under my 339flqs. The Red & Blue lines underneath the RV do not have any caps or valves that I can see. Are they located inside somewhere?
On our '17 they are located inside the passenger side passthrough storage. They are in the stupidest spot imaginable. You have to unscrew the wall inside the storage on the left side and then crawl half inside to reach them.
Then you have to repair the remainder of the wall with screws because all the staples pull out.
The placement of these valves is absolutely without a doubt engineered by someone who shouldn't breed...(I won't say how I really feel).
Anyway..sorry for the rant. when you have all your taps open and open these valves you should get a good steam for a short time (~10 seconds?). (maybe a couple liters total from my experience with other trailers.)
Mine on the other hand gave me no more than a cup full for some reason.
Service didn't have an explaination...I think the plumbing isn't run correctly and there is an airlock somewhere. I winterized and have just recently blown out with air also for good measure. Will experiment next spring.
Let us know what you find and how they drain.
Cheers
Old 10-25-2018, 03:16 AM   #6

RE: Low point drains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsons View Post
On our '17 they are located inside the passenger side passthrough storage. They are in the stupidest spot imaginable. You have to unscrew the wall inside the storage on the left side and then crawl half inside to reach them.
Then you have to repair the remainder of the wall with screws because all the staples pull out.
The placement of these valves is absolutely without a doubt engineered by someone who shouldn't breed...(I won't say how I really feel).
Anyway..sorry for the rant. when you have all your taps open and open these valves you should get a good steam for a short time (~10 seconds?). (maybe a couple liters total from my experience with other trailers.)
Mine on the other hand gave me no more than a cup full for some reason.
Service didn't have an explaination...I think the plumbing isn't run correctly and there is an airlock somewhere. I winterized and have just recently blown out with air also for good measure. Will experiment next spring.
Let us know what you find and how they drain.
Cheers
Thanks for the reply. I saw the markings on the wall inside the compartment but no way did I think I'd have to unload everything out of there and unscrew a panel to get to them. I'd have to agree with you on that Jayco decision.

I am winterizing my 2017 Eagle myself for the first time. I have had the dealer do it. But last year on our first camping trip, we discovered that the hot water heater had a major leak; come to find out they never drained it. I'm wondering if they went through the trouble to drained the hot and cold low point drains. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:06 AM   #7

I put a 4” hole saw hole in front of the valves in that panel. No more screw removal and wall repairs [emoji23].
Sparky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:29 AM   #8

RE: 4" Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
I put a 4” hole saw hole in front of the valves in that panel. No more screw removal and wall repairs [emoji23].
That's a good idea. What about adding end caps to the end of the hot and cold low point drains underneath the RV, would that be doable/advisable?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
I am doing this..
Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
That's a good idea. What about adding end caps to the end of the hot and cold low point drains underneath the RV, would that be doable/advisable?
Yes..great idea.
Hey..why not cap them?? We only use them once a year and capping might keep dirt from getting into valves and wrecking them.. pretty easy to do this.
Cheers
Old 10-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
that's exactly what I ended up doing. Pictures of the location of the hot and cold low point drain valves on my 2017 339FLQS and the new valves installed underneath the rig.
Attached Thumbnails
20181030_155719.jpg   20181030_155701.jpg   20181030_160730.jpg   20181030_161242.jpg  
Old 10-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Really sorry about another winterizing post but just looking to clear something up.
Our 339FLQS (like many others) has all the small valves in one spot to switch for dry camping, city water, sanitize, and winterize etc. When set in the proper positions they do each of these functions.
To winterize is it really just as easy as setting valves to winterize and go through the motions of draining hot water tank, purging lines/faucets until pink comes out and adding a bit more to the traps?
Do you need to function any other valves into different positions to ensure no water is trapped in any elbows etc behind the panel or down any lines? Being used to hooking directly up to the pump this just seems too easy compared to our older RV's.
Thanks much for replies.
Cheers
Up here in the great Northwest it doesn't get that cold, but I decided to winterize our FW anyway.........................taking it to Arizona for the winter
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Started being suspicious when only got about a cup out of low point drains. Then after winterizing I switched from the winterize position to I believe it was sanitize (without pump running) and I got about a liter of fresh water out of the cold low point drain. Makes me think that something is wrong with the way its plumbed..(that could never happen lol).
Guess I will let the service dept. know

Speaking of suspicious: I just winterized my 339FLQS and I happen to leave the drain plug out of the hot water heater. And according to the Jayco Fifth Wheel manual, page 136, it says that the Uni Dock Utility Center Note:When set to Winterize: water will not enter the hot water heater or fresh water tank. There are no dedicated water heater by pass valves." yet I had Anti Freeze pouring out of it? That can't be right can it? Am I missing something?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Speaking of suspicious: I just winterized my 339FLQS and I happen to leave the drain plug out of the hot water heater. And according to the Jayco Fifth Wheel manual, page 136, it says that the Uni Dock Utility Center Note:When set to Winterize: water will not enter the hot water heater or fresh water tank. There are no dedicated water heater by pass valves." yet I had Anti Freeze pouring out of it? That can't be right can it? Am I missing something?
Nope, that's not right at all. Mine worked fine in this aspect. I left the plug out to verify that very thing. There must be something plumbed wrong. Still under warranty?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Nope, that's not right at all. Mine worked fine in this aspect. I left the plug out to verify that very thing. There must be something plumbed wrong. Still under warranty?
Yes it is, until April 10, 2019. I already have an appointment for March 10th to check my main air conditioner and some slide adjustments. I guess I'll be adding this to the list. I think I'm going to video document it tomorrow and stop by the RV dealer on Monday and see what they have to say about it. thanks for the reply.