Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Who winterizes your RV?
I do my own winterizing 743 87.51%
I get a dealer or RV service center to winterize 53 6.24%
I never winterize because I fulltime 10 1.18%
I get a friend or relative to help me because I`m cluless 4 0.47%
I never winterize because it never gets that cold here. 34 4.00%
I enjoy having frozen pipes, never think about it 5 0.59%
Voters: 849. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #181

Winterize 2016 29lbs ??

I found what may have been the valves for the low point drain under the bathroom sink. I turned them and nothing came out.
Thanks jeff
jmerrimack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #182

I'm heading out to my camper in a few days to complete a few things I forgot to grab when I initially stored it, I don't want my tools in there all winter (some have batteries, etc). Plus I just need an excuse to go see 'her' again anyway. I'll document the low point drain deal with pics or a video. In my model, the valves are also in the bathroom cabinet under the sink. I completely forgot about that part of the system so I have to go back and correct that anyway, so I'll try to remember to take some pics. It sounds like you found the correct valves, but I'm not sure if you actually opened them, they aren't like the valves on your water heater. Next time you open them, have your water pump on. It helps to have 2 people for this... one outside confirming the antifreeze is coming out, and you inside to turn the valves off again once that has happened If nothing comes out at all and your water system is pressurized, it doesn't sound like the valves are actually open. I also picked up a small hand pump so I can manually pump antifreeze into the system from outside the camper. Should come in handy for the black tank flush and city water connection.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #183

Thank you.
I been reading the form. I think I was suppose to pull the valves not turn them. They don't look like the normal valves I'm used to seeing.
jmerrimack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #184

Overwhelmingly we seem to be a bunch of do-it-yourselfers... Self-sufficient, independent types for the most part. I think that's one of the draws of this madness for me.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerrimack View Post
Thank you.
I been reading the form. I think I was suppose to pull the valves not turn them. They don't look like the normal valves I'm used to seeing.
Yup! They pull. Just depressurize the water system first. They are drains, not service valves.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #186

So I've decided not to buy a complete cover for our RV, but what would you cover over the winter months?
Air Conditioner unit? Tires? What else?

(I'm in Canada - it can get to below 0F/-30C)
red3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by red3 View Post
So I've decided not to buy a complete cover for our RV, but what would you cover over the winter months?
Air Conditioner unit? Tires? What else?

(I'm in Canada - it can get to below 0F/-30C)
The only cover you need is a couple solar panels to keep your battery charged

I am in Calgary as well and I don't cover anything. I have thought about covering my tires for UV protection but I will wear them out or replace them before they get dried out from sun exposure. I believe tires have a finite shelf life of 4-5 years anyway. Our 2014 trailer still looks fine.

Cheers
Old 10-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #188
Site Team

Only 5 enjoy having frozen pipes?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #189

First time winterizer here, found the fateful black tank flush valve leaking. Should I just try to blow air through it or leave it be? I obviously dont want to pump antifreeze through it.

Do you guys cover your furnace/hwh/fridge vents with tape or anything?

What about your TV's leave in or take home?

Thanks.

2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
Fordguy5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy5507 View Post
First time winterizer here, found the fateful black tank flush valve leaking. Should I just try to blow air through it or leave it be? I obviously dont want to pump antifreeze through it.

Do you guys cover your furnace/hwh/fridge vents with tape or anything?

What about your TV's leave in or take home?

Thanks.
There's nothing wrong with putting antifreeze in your black tank flush. I did.

You can use a hand pump that camco makes. I know most people don't worry about the black tank flush at all though.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #191

Hi all new guy here. I recently purchased an 185rb baja edition. I am in the process of winterizing. I have drained the low point. drained the hot water heater. turned the valves. ran antifreeze through the cold water lines ( sink, shower, toilet), but when I turn on the hot water, nothing happens. does this sound right?
timmy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #192

Welcome to the forum.

No, it doesn't seem right but I don't use RV antifreeze, except in the P-traps. Hopefully someone will be along with better information.

My guess is that it could be the valves on the water heater are not set correctly and the water heater is filling. Take another look at the bypass vales and maybe pull the drain plug and see. That's all I got.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #193

Anti freeze froze

I winterized my 5th wheel in the fall and it was cold today here in Chicago, -10 with a -30 windchill. I checked the rv today and the faucet had a slush cicle coming out of it. The antifreeze in the toilet was completely frozen. I dumped some more antifreeze down a drain and it was frozen as well. How did this happen. I used 6 gallons of antifreeze. I did about a gallon per line which should have been over kill. My antifreeze was rated to -50. Any advice for what I should do to limit the damage? It is suppose warm up a little this week. I was thinking of rewinterizing it but I'm not sure if there is a reason to do that at this point.
jerm2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #194

Been a rough cold spell.
I'm thankful nothing is busted down here.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #195
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm2118 View Post
I winterized my 5th wheel in the fall and it was cold today here in Chicago, -10 with a -30 windchill. I checked the rv today and the faucet had a slush cicle coming out of it. The antifreeze in the toilet was completely frozen. I dumped some more antifreeze down a drain and it was frozen as well. How did this happen. I used 6 gallons of antifreeze. I did about a gallon per line which should have been over kill. My antifreeze was rated to -50. Any advice for what I should do to limit the damage? It is suppose warm up a little this week. I was thinking of rewinterizing it but I'm not sure if there is a reason to do that at this point.
Antifreeze will turn to slush in extreme cold. This is normal and is usually stated on the container. But it will not totally solidify and expand.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #196

As Crabman said, RV antifreeze does not expand like water when it freezes. It is the expansion when water freezes that breaks stuff... and also why ice floats.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #197
Site Team

Strange experience yesterday

I got a call from a friend of mines wife yesterday asking about a leak they had in the toilet on their last trip a week ago. They use the camper but could not use the toilet all weekend because every time they flushed it there was a leak at the top back.

I asked her if they had de-winterized it before going camping because it was in the mid 20's here in Dec 16 for a few days. Her reply was classic! "What is winterizing?"
I explained what I was talking about and she said, "Oh, that may be why the outside shower leaked also."

It's a little 19H Jay Feather. I went over yesterday and ordered a water module for the Thetford toilet and it should be here on Thursday. A quick inspection of the shower looked like a busted fitting on the hose.

Don't get complacent about winterizing, even the South!...
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #198

Since its our first year with our trailer I'm getting the dealer to winterize the plumbing.

I was also told to remove and store the battery inside during the winter.

My question is regarding the propane tank, is it a good idea to remove it for the winter or does it not matter? If you do choose to remove it should the hose be covered with a plastic bag or something?
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
Since its our first year with our trailer I'm getting the dealer to winterize the plumbing.

I was also told to remove and store the battery inside during the winter.

My question is regarding the propane tank, is it a good idea to remove it for the winter or does it not matter? If you do choose to remove it should the hose be covered with a plastic bag or something?
No reason to remove it or disconnect, just turn it off.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #200

How many leave their battery in for the winter plugged into shore power? I have heard that's a good idea. Today we winterized our 2018 for the first time. Everything went well. I didn't like that after I bypassed the hot water heater with the new 3-way single valve I could still hear water trickle into it.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote