Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Who winterizes your RV?
I do my own winterizing 743 87.51%
I get a dealer or RV service center to winterize 53 6.24%
I never winterize because I fulltime 10 1.18%
I get a friend or relative to help me because I`m cluless 4 0.47%
I never winterize because it never gets that cold here. 34 4.00%
I enjoy having frozen pipes, never think about it 5 0.59%
Voters: 849. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #201
Site Team

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #202

I do my own with compressed air and only use the pink antifreeze for the sink traps. My wife swears she can taste anti-freeze for several trips in the spring if I use it in the fresh water side. I think she's crazy, but it's no big deal to do the compressed air system so I don't mind.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #203

Oil from Compressor Concern?

Are any of you guys that use the compressed air method concerned about the oil particulates that are present in compressed air, or is everyone running a separator?

I see they have little inline filters for $2.50 at Harbor Freight. I think I'll put one in as a precaution, but was just curious if anyone else is doing this and not mentioning it or just not worrying about it.

Thanks
Ubelongoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #204

Could you tell me why I would keep the stabilizers up and if I don't have a wind issue is it still wise to cover the top? Why?
Casey Golema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:21 AM   #205

Winterized the X213 yesterday. Done for the season.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #206

Are you writing, that if I don't have the dealer winterize, I'll void any freezing issues. As long as I remember to winterize the sani-con, and black tank flush, I think I'll be ok. Thoughts?
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #207

I just need clarification on a couple points if you don't mind me jumping in. When winter camping after you have winterized your camper you can still put water from a jug down the sinks or toilet? Do you put more antifreeze down the tanks? is it just the water lines you worry about? not the sewage tank lines?
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #208

Winterizing Central and Winterizing Poll -2012

RVing in cold advice needed. Yeah, we are in Texas and don’t really know what real cold is. But we are currently in an RV Park in central Texas. Forecast is to be in the mid 20’s tonight. What preparations should we make? We are in a jayco octain toy hauler. To the best of our knowledge, our holding tanks are not heated nor is our outside water hose. Am I safe just to fill my fresh water holding tank and disconnect outside hose or do I need to put antifreeze in holding tank too? I know most of you think in the 20s is nothing but we have never been in this kind of cold in an RV before - spoiled Texans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #209

Winterize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner View Post
I will have the dealer do the winterizing this year and next until the warranty is up. I have them address the warranty issues at the same time.
Yep. Dealer winterizes until warranty runs out. The "poll" doesn't take in account those of us still under warranty. :-)
Old 12-31-2017, 01:00 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
RVing in cold advice needed. Yeah, we are in Texas and don’t really know what real cold is. But we are currently in an RV Park in central Texas. Forecast is to be in the mid 20’s tonight. What preparations should we make? We are in a jayco octain toy hauler. To the best of our knowledge, our holding tanks are not heated nor is our outside water hose. Am I safe just to fill my fresh water holding tank and disconnect outside hose or do I need to put antifreeze in holding tank too? I know most of you think in the 20s is nothing but we have never been in this kind of cold in an RV before - spoiled Texans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can find a lot of varying advice, but here in Colorado mid 20's is common.

My two cents:
- a full winterization is obviously the safest thing to do. I can winterize in 20 mins with 2 gallons.

That said, I don't when the temps reach mid-20's as a overnight low. Short duration dips (a couple of hours) to the mid-20's don't worry me here.

BUT - I do run the furnace and turn on the tank heaters. I keep the coach warm - by propane or by electric heaters.

And I toss a small, 500 watt heater down into the basement are where all my plumbing is.

I've done this probably a dozen times without concern.

Yes, disconnect the hose and toss it inside.
No, I'd never put RV Antifreeze into the Fresh Water tank.
Yes, I'd dumped some RV Antifreeze into the black and grey tanks.

Again - winterizing is the safest bet.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #211
Site Team

I never took a trailer back for winterizing while under warranty. Still did it myself. Now if you have other issues that need addressing I can see that. But for six bucks and 30 minutes I can winterize and still not affect the warranty.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #212

Winterizing

Besides the obvious needs such as, purging water systems with anti-freeze and cleaning out the fridge etc., for me, the most important item on the list is a high capacity dehumidifier. Here in the NW, we get more than our share of wet weather and as a result, humidity. I have a hose going from the dehumidifier to a 5 gallon bucket. Also, we have 2 fans running continuously, one in the front and one in the back.
At times, I have dumped as much as 1 gallon or more, everyday. We also open up all the cupboards and wardrobes.
Question...if we're not pulling all that water out of the air, where is it going? Hmmm.
jdgmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #213
Site Team

It's that time of year again for some. Not me, but some. So bump.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:34 PM   #214

I'd be interested in a 2nd poll. Winterize with anti-freeze or air?

I've got a shop right next to where we park with a 60gal compressor that can run 25psi all day. I usually just connect to the city line and blow it out. The valve controllers on our new Melbourne have me a little intimidated. In our old coach, it was just 'connect and blow out the water'. With all the options, I'm going to have to double check I've cleared out every line.
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:23 PM   #215
CAG

Sorry but the only thing I can add to this thread is-I am glad winterizing is a thing for those up north. Sorry guys.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote