Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Winterizing made simple. Am I right or wrong

I was going to post on a thread about winterizing but decided to let it go. My comment was referring to the need to drain lines in the water system if your pumping antifreeze.

So here is my thinking. It is not necessary to drain the lines if your pumping antifreeze throughout the system because the antifreeze will push out the water in the lines. It is also not necessary to blow out lines if your pumping antifreeze throughout the system. It's two extra unnecessary steps.

FWIW, I've owned boats for more years than cars and never blew out lines. Rarely added antifreeze. The pitch of the boat on blocks or trailer allowed the water system to be gravity drained into the bilge by unscrewing a few fittings. This year for my TT I drained, blew, and filled.

So....drain holding tanks, drain water heater, pump antifreeze to push out water. 123 done simple.

Right or wrong.

Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #2

Yes you should blow out the lines first . if you don't, you will mix the two together and then antifreeze will not give you the same protection.

culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Solid color pink coming out of all the fixtures tells me water is evacuated and pure antifreeze is throughout. No?
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #4

I think theoretically, you may be right.
But draining lines is pretty easy to do and takes little time.
Same with blowing out lines, although I generally don't do it.
It doesn't bother me to do a bit extra and be sure.
But then, that may be my OCD kicking in.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #5

If you blow all the water out of the lines there is nothing left to do that will enhance protection. If you blow out the lines but do not get out all the water, why did you blow out the lines?

I think these are different methods of doing the same thing and there is no need to mix them together.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1372 View Post
So....drain holding tanks, drain water heater, pump antifreeze to push out water. 123 done simple.

Right or wrong.
Gman1372,

What you've stated is a valid way to winterize a trailer, as long as you make sure antifreeze is pushed out all faucets, low point drains, toilet, outside shower, etc.

Though from a "rather safe then sorry" perspective, I still drain, blow out, and fill as part of my winterizing process.

The other thing to remember with RV Antifreeze is, the -50F antifreeze has a freeze point of +12F while the -100F antifreeze has a freeze point of -60F. However, as the temperature drops the solution begins to solidify and expand, it can put pressure on pipes that could lead to damage.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
Gman1372,

What you've stated is a valid way to winterize a trailer, as long as you make sure antifreeze is pushed out all faucets, low point drains, toilet, outside shower, etc.

Though from a "rather safe then sorry" perspective, I still drain, blow out, and fill as part of my winterizing process.

The other thing to remember with RV Antifreeze is, the -50F antifreeze has a freeze point of +12F while the -100F antifreeze has a freeze point of -60F. However, as the temperature drops the solution begins to solidify and expand, it can put pressure on pipes that could lead to damage.
X2! From another belts-and-suspenders kinda guy.

Opening all the drains to let the water out takes near zero effort and limits dilution of the antifreeze.

Blowing out the lines gets even more water out.

Considering the cost of repairing an ice-damaged line, fitting or fixture... I'll take the time to practically guarantee that my water system will be ready to roll come springtime!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #8

Same here. Around here, temperatures of -30* for extended periods of time are not unheard of, and the extra time and effort in the fall to blow out the lines first, then pump the antifreeze, is a lot cheaper and easier than having to repair a leak from a ruptured line or fitting in the spring. I've been doing it for years this way, and never have had to fix a leak.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #9

For nine of the last ten years, I've only blown out the lines. No antifreeze.

The one year I did antifreeze, I didn't drain the lines first, just pushed the pink stuff through the lines.

No issues yet.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #10

You want simple, this is how I do it.

I simply open all faucets, low points, and tanks (fresh, black, gray) then step on the toilet flush until its just airflow; I leave everything open thru the cold months. I also briefly run the pump. Perhaps I should - but I don't - break open the hot water tank drain.

Y'all may think this is risky but we have very little below freezing weather, even less that extends beyond a few hours.

Of course YMMV, as may your tolerance for risk.