Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Site Team

Wire routing question

Has anyone found a clever way to run a small wire outside of your trailer without drilling a new hole somewhere? I want to run a thin antenna wire outside to the rear bumper or tongue area for a magnetic SiriusXm antenna. The hole would just have to be big enough to run the connector through. I have a completely sealed underbelly and I don't really want to pull anything down for such a small run.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
20180614_175016.jpg  
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

You might want to see where your DC wires go out of the trailer (marker lights, speakers, to power awning, etc. You might be able to sneak it through the openings since they are normally oversized for the wires going through the siding.

Another option would be to run it up through the hole in the roof for the TV antenna. That would probably mean removing the antenna and plate, run you Sirius antenna wire down, place the antenna and lock it down, then replace and sealing tv antenna plate and putting the antenna back up.

Think those might be good spots. Another spot might be the bathroom vent. If you have a Maxi cover or similar it would be protected from weather and you just need to make sure you stay clear of the fan.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Excellent ideas. Thank you.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 06-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Ok, so I know I can't leave it here. But I was just in there playing around and I stuck the antenna on the range hood just for fun. Absolutely crystal clear signal. Who would have thought....
Attached Thumbnails
20180614_191706.jpg  
Old 06-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Site Team

You may want to drill 2 holes in your black water pipe that goes to the roof vent. One inside the TT the other on the roof. Remove the roof vent cover, push your fish-tape into the pipe through the hole, going up of course. Connect a string to the end of the fish and pull it back into the TT. Not sure which end of the antenna wire will go in the pipe. So with the string you can go either way. Assuming (hate that word) your antenna end has a removeable connector, connect your antenna end to it, go to the roof, Pull the string up, disconnect the antenna cable fish it through the small hole you drilled, caulk the hole opening, put the vent cover back on. Mount your small antenna where you want it. Caulk the hole in your TT and you are done

Done deal! Good luck

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
You may want to drill 2 holes in your black water pipe that goes to the roof vent. One inside the TT the other on the roof. Remove the roof vent cover, push your fish-tape into the pipe through the hole, going up of course. Connect a string to the end of the fish and pull it back into the TT. Not sure which end of the antenna wire will go in the pipe. So with the string you can go either way. Assuming (hate that word) your antenna end has a removeable connector, connect your antenna end to it, go to the roof, Pull the string up, disconnect the antenna cable fish it through the small hole you drilled, caulk the hole opening, put the vent cover back on. Mount your small antenna where you want it. Caulk the hole in your TT and you are done

Done deal! Good luck

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

That's an interesting idea that I would have never thought of. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #7

Marine antennas and depth finder cables are just small wires, but require a large hole to fit the plug that mounts to the unit on the dash. They make waterproof fittings that cover the large hole. I don't usually use them, though, because they are expensive. I prefer a simple stainless clamshell cover that also covers the hole and is completely waterproof. I fill the hole with silicone and then pop the clamshell on top.

Check out a marine catalog - it might fit your needs.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Marine antennas and depth finder cables are just small wires, but require a large hole to fit the plug that mounts to the unit on the dash. They make waterproof fittings that cover the large hole. I don't usually use them, though, because they are expensive. I prefer a simple stainless clamshell cover that also covers the hole and is completely waterproof. I fill the hole with silicone and then pop the clamshell on top.

Check out a marine catalog - it might fit your needs.
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #9

When we had the SENECA I was able to tuck it in behind some trim and put the antenna in the roof vent using velcro.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
When we had the SENECA I was able to tuck it in behind some trim and put the antenna in the roof vent using velcro.
My wife suggested this very thing this evening when we were looking for routing ideas. Would it stay up there consistently with the velcro? It worked well while I was holding it up in there.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #11
Site Team

As for the sealed underbelly, I have that also. My rear storage area and my front storage area are excellent areas to make a central access point for getting things into and out of your TT. I have my SOLAR and battery cables going through the floor and out the underbelly.

It is easy to do this project. Find a location in the storage area that should be an open area in the under belly. Drill a hole in the floor (large enough for the size PVC pipe you want to use. I would recommend a 1 1/4" size. This will allow for cable connectors to be pushed through. Take a pointed 18" steel rod and push it down through the hole in the floor. You will feel the plastic under belly and force it through the under belly. Go under the TT mark the area. Pull out the rod. Now cut an 1 1/4" opening in the under belly. I know you are cringing at this point, don't worry keep reading.

Cut a 2' piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe. Put a threaded connector on the end (use PVC cement on this connection) that will push up (through the insulation) into the hole in the floor . When you get it into the hole, put a locking nut on the threaded end. You may have to use a smaller diameter pipe or something that you can push through the insulation to make a path for the 1 1/4" PVC.

The PVC pipe will be sticking out of the underbelly at this point. Push up on the underbelly and cut off the excess PVC pipe. You want it long enough so just the threads show through the underbelly. Glue the threaded connector on that end. Take a PVC 4x4x4 electrical box, you will have to drill a 1 1/4" hole in the bottom of it, put a lot of caulking on the bottom and slip that over the threaded connector. Put the locking nut on. Put the blank cover plate on the box and you are all set. You now have a sealed access between your storage and the bottom of your TT.

If you have a storage area in front and in back, you could put one of these in each storage area and run a conduit between the 2 for any circuits that you want to connect between the 2 storage areas.

Just an idea.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRICAL 4x4x4 box.jpg   ELECTRICAL - PVC Run Through Floor.jpg  
Old 06-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #12

On our class C we ran the wire up along the slideout then outside at the upper corner. I then ran the wire under the gutter with silicone so water wouldn't run down. Never had any leaking. With the TT we just listen to USB thumb drive MP3 music.
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
My wife suggested this very thing this evening when we were looking for routing ideas. Would it stay up there consistently with the velcro? It worked well while I was holding it up in there.
Your wife should have taken a picture of you standing on the roof holding the antenna. Your version of the RV movie where he was holding his phone on the roof.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 06-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
6 yrs...use the rough service stuff.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
As for the sealed underbelly, I have that also. My rear storage area and my front storage area are excellent areas to make a central access point for getting things into and out of your TT. I have my SOLAR and battery cables going through the floor and out the underbelly.

It is easy to do this project. Find a location in the storage area that should be an open area in the under belly. Drill a hole in the floor (large enough for the size PVC pipe you want to use. I would recommend a 1 1/4" size. This will allow for cable connectors to be pushed through. Take a pointed 18" steel rod and push it down through the hole in the floor. You will feel the plastic under belly and force it through the under belly. Go under the TT mark the area. Pull out the rod. Now cut an 1 1/4" opening in the under belly. I know you are cringing at this point, don't worry keep reading.

Cut a 2' piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe. Put a threaded connector on the end (use PVC cement on this connection) that will push up (through the insulation) into the hole in the floor . When you get it into the hole, put a locking nut on the threaded end. You may have to use a smaller diameter pipe or something that you can push through the insulation to make a path for the 1 1/4" PVC.

The PVC pipe will be sticking out of the underbelly at this point. Push up on the underbelly and cut off the excess PVC pipe. You want it long enough so just the threads show through the underbelly. Glue the threaded connector on that end. Take a PVC 4x4x4 electrical box, you will have to drill a 1 1/4" hole in the bottom of it, put a lot of caulking on the bottom and slip that over the threaded connector. Put the locking nut on. Put the blank cover plate on the box and you are all set. You now have a sealed access between your storage and the bottom of your TT.

If you have a storage area in front and in back, you could put one of these in each storage area and run a conduit between the 2 for any circuits that you want to connect between the 2 storage areas.

Just an idea.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Wow...thank you for an excellent description and idea. I have a storage area in the rear behind the outside kitchen that would be perfect for this. I will definitely keep this in mind for the future.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Your wife should have taken a picture of you standing on the roof holding the antenna. Your version of the RV movie where he was holding his phone on the roof.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

Don't encourage her. After 20+ years of marriage she enjoys the small moments when she can embarrass me. Of course, as I was asking her for help tonight, she didn't have time to take pictures. She was too busy with the "why did you have to start this now" and "are you finished yet" comments.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
6 yrs...use the rough service stuff.
Wow. I would never have thought that would work. Apparently my wife had a great Idea. Just don't tell her......

Old 06-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Don't encourage her. After 20+ years of marriage she enjoys the small moments when she can embarrass me. Of course, as I was asking her for help tonight, she didn't have time to take pictures. She was too busy with the "why did you have to start this now" and "are you finished yet" comments.
After 46 years of …….. she loves it when she can do the same. It is becoming easier for me to make these moments, so she can say "I TOLD YOU SO, YOU NEVER LISTEN TO ME!!!! I always respond, "Honey can you get my hearing aid out of the TT for me?" That is the point of the conversation where I get the smack on the back of the head.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 06-14-2018, 08:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
After 46 years of …….. she loves it when she can do the same. It is becoming easier for me to make these moments, so she can say "I TOLD YOU SO, YOU NEVER LISTEN TO ME!!!! I always respond, "Honey can you get my hearing aid out of the TT for me?" That is the point of the conversation where I get the smack on the back of the head.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

LOL. I started wearing a hearing aid about 5 years ago. My standard line is "I'm sorry, my battery just went dead".

Old 06-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #20

there was some extra room by the furnaces vent hose that runs under our couch and under the trailer.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote