Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #1

Wiring near existing ceiling vents?

I'm considering putting a powered fan in the galley area of our Eagle 5er, where there is now only a vent. Does anyone know if the factory runs 12v wiring near these for installing fans if wanted?
Thanks ahead of time.
Dave
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #2

There is most likely a 12v line running down the center of your trailer for the lights. It would really help if we knew what trailer you are talking about.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
There is most likely a 12v line running down the center of your trailer for the lights. It would really help if we knew what trailer you are talking about.
Sorry, I thought "Eagle" 5er would be enough. Its the 2013 29.5RKS
Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #4

All you need to do is remove the trim ring (4 screws) and if it is prewired you will see the wires.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 29.5RKS 12 volt diagram.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	10216

This may help

John
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #6

On our 2013 Eagle 284 BHS TT, there was no wiring around the bedroom roof vent aside from the optional 120v wiring for a 2nd AC unit.
The closest 12v wiring was the power lead for all four of the lights in the bedroom area. Four lights seemed to me like a pretty significant load on a single fuse already, so I didn't want to put additional electric load to it. I decided the only option I had was to add another 12v line somehow.

I started at the electric load center by figuring out which wire was for the next unused fuse position. I pulled the oven/stove forward and removed the microwave so I could access the spaces behind/under those. My next problem was getting the new wiring from the load center on the floor up to the ceiling.

The stove/oven and refrigerator were next to each other. Just below counter level just aft of the oven, I CAREFULLY drilled a hole through the wall to get my wire into the refrigerator space. (I want to stress, I did not drill into the refrigerator. I just got inside the cabinet where the fridge is installed.) Once in there, I ran it up the wall to the level of the microwave where I made another hole and brought the wire into the cabinet space for the microwave. In that space there was a bundle of existing wiring going up into the ceiling. About 18" from there, was a ceiling mounted stereo speaker. Once I had my new wiring into the ceiling, getting to the speaker hole in the ceiling was rather easy. The next puzzle was getting the new wiring from the speaker hole forward to the air conditioner location. Feeling around inside the speaker hole I found several wires. One of which was the wiring for the thermostat going to the air conditioner. I undid the t-stat wiring at the AC unit and attached a 'fish' wire to the end. Then I pulled it back to the speaker hole where I attached my new wiring. Next I just had to pull the wiring back forward to the AC and reconnect the t-stat wiring to the AC. Once there, I figured I could use the AC ducting going forward to the bedroom like conduit. I just had to fish the wiring forward through the ducting to the bedroom. I removed the AC outlet vent in the bedroom and brought my wiring to that point. From there, I literally only had 6" to go to get into the square space for the roof vent. One more hole and I was there. A bit of silicone sealant sealed that last hole exiting the ducting into the vent space.

Then I installed the Fantastic fan per the instructions. I re-installed the stove/oven and microwave. Since all the holes I made were inside the spaces for the stove/oven and microwave, absolutely nothing was visible once they were re-installed.

So now we have a Fantastic fan in our bedroom with a dedicated fuse supplying power to it.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #7

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@LLRV View Post
Attachment 10216

This may help

John
The pic is pretty small but seems to show that there is no power stubbed in near the vent. The closest wiring run looks to be switched to the living room lights. I've emailed Jayco and asked the question and also asked for the wiring schematic.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
On our 2013 Eagle 284 BHS TT, there was no wiring around the bedroom roof vent aside from the optional 120v wiring for a 2nd AC unit.
The closest 12v wiring was the power lead for all four of the lights in the bedroom area. Four lights seemed to me like a pretty significant load on a single fuse already, so I didn't want to put additional electric load to it. I decided the only option I had was to add another 12v line somehow.

I started at the electric load center by figuring out which wire was for the next unused fuse position. I pulled the oven/stove forward and removed the microwave so I could access the spaces behind/under those. My next problem was getting the new wiring from the load center on the floor up to the ceiling.

The stove/oven and refrigerator were next to each other. Just below counter level just aft of the oven, I CAREFULLY drilled a hole through the wall to get my wire into the refrigerator space. (I want to stress, I did not drill into the refrigerator. I just got inside the cabinet where the fridge is installed.) Once in there, I ran it up the wall to the level of the microwave where I made another hole and brought the wire into the cabinet space for the microwave. In that space there was a bundle of existing wiring going up into the ceiling. About 18" from there, was a ceiling mounted stereo speaker. Once I had my new wiring into the ceiling, getting to the speaker hole in the ceiling was rather easy. The next puzzle was getting the new wiring from the speaker hole forward to the air conditioner location. Feeling around inside the speaker hole I found several wires. One of which was the wiring for the thermostat going to the air conditioner. I undid the t-stat wiring at the AC unit and attached a 'fish' wire to the end. Then I pulled it back to the speaker hole where I attached my new wiring. Next I just had to pull the wiring back forward to the AC and reconnect the t-stat wiring to the AC. Once there, I figured I could use the AC ducting going forward to the bedroom like conduit. I just had to fish the wiring forward through the ducting to the bedroom. I removed the AC outlet vent in the bedroom and brought my wiring to that point. From there, I literally only had 6" to go to get into the square space for the roof vent. One more hole and I was there. A bit of silicone sealant sealed that last hole exiting the ducting into the vent space.

Then I installed the Fantastic fan per the instructions. I re-installed the stove/oven and microwave. Since all the holes I made were inside the spaces for the stove/oven and microwave, absolutely nothing was visible once they were re-installed.

So now we have a Fantastic fan in our bedroom with a dedicated fuse supplying power to it.
Easily a 60 minute job. I searched your signature for a location so we could schedule you doing mine.
I have noticed that when we turn on/off some lights the fans speed/slow so I bet that it is common to have too many things on a single run.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
The pic is pretty small but seems to show that there is no power stubbed in near the vent. The closest wiring run looks to be switched to the living room lights. I've emailed Jayco and asked the question and also asked for the wiring schematic.
I can email you the original.. it was a bit big to post on the forum.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #10

Why couldn't you have used the ac wire to power the 12v fan? Just connect it to 12v source and your done.
good luck
pointrow
pointrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Sorry, I thought "Eagle" 5er would be enough.
It should have been and asking for more information would not have really accomplished much unless the poster has done this particular mod on an identical trailer. These trailers are all wired pretty much the same, even between different manufacturers. When I replaced the static vent in my galley with a Fantastic fan, I pulled the microwave which was very close to the area I was working in and found a lot of wiring dropped down from the ceiling. Since all of the wiring is run through the ceiling, it was a simple job with a tester to sort out a 12V wire and a ground. As it was, there was a set of wires that went to an under the counter light that never gets used, so I used those wires. I used a fish tape to get to the wall through the ceiling then pull the power wires for the fan to the new fan.There will be 120V and 12VDC wiring in close proximity to each other, but it's not difficult to sort it out if you are electrically inclined.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #12

My eagle TT had the wire running right past the vent. I tapped out maxx air fan into and it works like a charm. We had a light about a foot and a half behind the vent hole where we put the fan.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #13

Update on email responce from Jayco. They said they didn't think that there would be any 12v running near the vent, but suggested running a new line from the breaker box. I also asked for a schematic and that ewasn't even addressed in their responce. (So I will take you up on the full sized version, and will PM you my email info).
I am pretty adept with electricity and will find a way, thanks for the microwave tip, hadn't thought to look back there. Actually running another wire pair from the breaker, through the refrigerator cabinet, shouldn't be too hard. I'm also not going to be surprised to find a wire running right by the vent.
Thanks to all.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #14

Just drop the trim ring down and have a peek around in there.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #15

Tapping into a 12V line in the roof will work, but you may have to turn on the overhead lights for the fan to work. I still think looking around behind the microwave and finding a wire going to the under cabinet light, if you have them, is a better option. It should be hot all the time.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Tapping into a 12V line in the roof will work, but you may have to turn on the overhead lights for the fan to work. I still think looking around behind the microwave and finding a wire going to the under cabinet light, if you have them, is a better option. It should be hot all the time.
From the schematic and exploring the RV it does look like (if I don't find a constantly hot 12v run passing the vent) that the nearest optioons are going to be behind the microwave, the light over the galley (about 4' away) or running a wire from the breaker (under the refrig and about 5' horizontal distance). Not known yet how easily one can fish wiring through the ceiling.
Thank all.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Update on email responce from Jayco. I also asked for a schematic and that ewasn't even addressed in their responce.
Just an FYI, When I tried to contact Jayco CS on one of my requests, I got a better response by talking to them rather than by email.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote