Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #1

Wood Laminate Flooring

I am about to replace the original linoleum in my 5th wheel. I got a good deal on wood plank laminate flooring from Lowes. However on reading the instructions that came with it, it states that the flooring should be in a climate controlled environment where the temperature does not exceed 80°F but here in AZ in the summer the trailer will see way more than that while stored. Does anyone have ant experience with this.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picinisco View Post
I am about to replace the original linoleum in my 5th wheel. I got a good deal on wood plank laminate flooring from Lowes. However on reading the instructions that came with it, it states that the flooring should be in a climate controlled environment where the temperature does not exceed 80°F but here in AZ in the summer the trailer will see way more than that while stored. Does anyone have ant experience with this.

I think most people use vinyl planks instead of the laminate for that reason. Vinyl planks are flexible, water proof and can withstand the vast temperature and humidity swings that laminate cannot. Also, it’s usually lighter weight. Plus, easy install and cutting is done with a razor knife

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I think most people use vinyl planks instead of the laminate for that reason. Vinyl planks are flexible, water proof and can withstand the vast temperature and humidity swings that laminate cannot. Also, it’s usually lighter weight. Plus, easy install and cutting is done with a razor knife

Actually if you read the small print, the vinyl will move more than laminate flooring will. We installed vinyl planks in 6 cabins, by the next spring, after the winter freeze the planks had shrunk almost a 1/2". Plus they tell you to keep them above 50 degrees as when colder they can become brittle and even walking on them can crack them. In a stick and brick you would have no issue with vinyl, in an RV you may have issues because of the extremes in temperature.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #4

Good to know. Wonder why everyone uses the vinyl planks?

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #5

Quote:

People don't read the fine print LOL Im sure with the much smaller area's, the shrinkage (or expansion) will be much less. I would be more concerned with the cold and possible cracking as the planks become brittle.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I have now purchased vinyl and will move ahead with that. Rather than return the wood vinyl, my wife has talked me into laying them in our living room. I somehow think she had this plan all along.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picinisco View Post
There was a Mobile Suites owner that installed laminate in his 5th wheel a few years ago. I was going to install it in the M.S. I had, but ended up trading it.

Did a lot of research on the flooring. Called manufacturers and one manufacturer, (can't remember which one now) said it would NOT be a problem installing in a 5th wheel.

Call different laminate manufacturers and you can find which one I'm talking about.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Cheaper Tom

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #9

something you might try

I got a sample of some vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot that I put in my apartments. I believe they sold small a sample for a quarter maybe, even free. If you're worried about cold take it home and put it in your refrigerator or freezer and see how it acts. I'm thinking if it's installed properly, FLAT floor, and I do mean perfectly flat, it shouldn't be an issue. I also noticed that at 55 deg it does tend to shrink about 1/4 inch over 10 or so feet. Not sure if it will come back when it gets warm (70 deg) as I'll let the new tenant pay the heat bill and look next time I'm in there. Just my experience.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote