Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #1

Working a 5 year RV travel plan. Anyone else?

Working a 5 year RV travel plan. Anyone else?

Advise? Resources?
We are still working so we plan for 2-3 weeks as a major trip per year.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #2

I have been planning my sabbatical (2 months 2 weeks) for this summer for a few years. Started by saving money for the trip. I have literally just looked at the different routes and planned where to stay with a couple of backups nearby. I am traveling from Arizona-Kansas for family-Niagara Falls-Boston-New York-Washington D.C.-Home. Also had to request tours for the White House, Congress, etc., but those are not guaranteed.

I have made reservations where I needed to and have a few overnight places that I have picked out with backup locations nearby. Once I figured out the route, it was nothing but looking at campgrounds and making decisions. I hate to make reservations, but I also am afraid of not finding a spot. Never traveling back east, I wanted to be covered - especially for multi-day locations like New York (1 week), Washington D.C. (2 weeks) - and popular locations like Boston and Niagara Falls.

Now we are in the process of making decisions on what we want to see in each location. We are not going to make any set plans, just plans on the places we have to visit.

I have my next sabbatical in four years (1 month 2 weeks). We are starting to plan for that one now. It will be a trip to Europe for just my wife and myself. I would really like to rent a camper over there and travel around, but haven't really looked into it yet. Still focusing on this summers trip. I only have one more reservation to make in a couple weeks.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #3

Where to? What interests? What states are you interested in? There are members from all states and Canada. The members can be a wealth of info on where to go only locals will know. I have been in 49 of the 50 states and everyone has something worth seeing. Alaska..... some day soon.

I normally plan trips by whats in the area I want to see and how many days will it take to see them? Call a CG make reservation for that time, check to see if I can stay longer if I want to. Next area to see normally within a couple hundred miles & repeat.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

That is somewhat comparable to what I'm doing. However, I'm torn between U.S. and International Retirement Destination Travel: Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Mexico, Malaysia, Thailand, France, Belieze...to name a few.

I have my certified rv service technician and rv inspector designations, worked for four months to get hands on experience, and now do extended warranty inspections as needed. So, if I make the plunge, now that I'm retired, I know clearly how to choose a worthy used RV with the critical extras off a short list of premium RVs, with a Seneca still in the running, and keep it maintained.

The issue on the top of the list is what my traveling will look like so I can match the RV as to the U.S. focus. Since I plan to do something along the lines of drive 200 to 400 miles, then park for a week or so, a used dp 35 to 40 ft will be my choice.

First off though is a trip to France, as that is my wife's dream vacation. I also want to look at a couple of spots in France for retirees as well as another 9 or so places overseas and a half dozen stateside. I plan to keep my house. I might never buy an RV, but do two or three month trips overseas to retirement destinations and rent villas. Certainly 200K will buy a lot of that.

So if I buy a quality dp for under 100K, that leaves me with a lot of upgrade, repair, and maintenance money (100k), as well as local and overseas travel money from the get go. And that is only the RV budgeted money.

I have no intention to park for longer periods, except on the rare occasion, otherwise I would be more focused on a 5th. I don't plan to travel long miles daily, with some hotel stays, otherwise a B would be on my list. I don't plan to do local campgrounds only, otherwise a Class A gas would be on my list. I also don't care for trucks, so that also shorts the 5th and tts.

My age is 65 so I perceive I need to plan for that. Fortunately, my wife is younger and will be able to do some of the driving and setup/breakdown.

Unfortunately, fishing, golf, tennis and such are not in the game plan, except on occasion. Actually, won't need a boat either.

At the moment am traveling mentally on a 10 year reading plan of the classics. Homer's Iliad is currently opened up for reading.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

You say you don't care for trucks but some of the new trucks ride like cars. I pull a 33ft 5W setups simple after a time or two. I'm your age with a younger DW who has learned to drive the 5W in emergency but does not. Under 50K for my 5W used +plus a new truck? Put you in the 100K area with a driver when the 5W is parked. Class C maybe with a toad? Probably doable for 100k but then maintenance on two drive trains. Lots in the US, my foreign travels were limited to Vietnam courtesy uncle Sam an I have no desire to go back.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

We were in Prague last summer. RV's are very few and very small. Fuel, mostly diesel, is about $2.00 per litre.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #7

Because we are still working we only get one large vacation a year. 2-2.5 weeks. We take as many weekend trips as possible. So we are looking forward at the next 5 years of our "super" vacations. For 2016 we are considering somewhere on the Outer Banks. Never been. So what I was trying to ask for was any ideas or considerations. Thanks for the responses.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormpod1 View Post
Because we are still working we only get one large vacation a year. 2-2.5 weeks. We take as many weekend trips as possible. So we are looking forward at the next 5 years of our "super" vacations. For 2016 we are considering somewhere on the Outer Banks. Never been. So what I was trying to ask for was any ideas or considerations. Thanks for the responses.
Same thing for us... Not sure where you have/haven't travelled, but New England is a great destination. You could easily fill two weeks around the Boston/Cape Cod area, and there's always the ME coast or mountains of NH and VT.

For this year just finished planning for two weeks in TN and a week each in VT and VA/MD/PA (visiting family).
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #9

We are waiting for our kids to get a little older (now 3&5) before taking a major trip West. For now, my work schedule gives me every other Friday off, so I add a Monday vacation day to that and get some 4 day weekends to go relatively close (3-4 hours away). We have an annual trip to OH to meet up with family at Salt Fork State Park over Memorial Day - look forward to that. Have reservations for 5 nights in August at our favorite - Endless Caverns in VA. Just made 4 night reservation at a new place in VA for 4th of July. Would like to go to Assateague so my daughter can camp with the ponies... We will fill in some more for sure. Trying to save up vacation to go West for 6 weeks when we do it...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #10

I just planned out four major trips for us for 2016. It can be very stressful trying to book reservation at major destinations, suck as Grand canyon, Zion, Sequoia, Death Valley. Yes this is the year of NP system for us. But with a lot of research and planning well in advance our trips turn out really nice. I am excited as we are getting ready to take of for 20 days to So-Cal Joshua Tree and Death valley. Time to hit the road jack
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #11

I'm trying to plan 2 summers out and dial each on in mid winter. We have to work around the wife's work sch dude and take them during her short weeks. Last summer was our first summer w/ the camper and stayed in it quite a few weekends. This summer looks like more beach to me and a long trip to Baltimore for the daughters 16th bday.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote