Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #21

This Helped Me With a Burn

Hello: Last year while at our seasonal campground, I was boiling water on my outdoor Cook Stove on our Picnic Table. A huge gust of wind came out of no-where and slammed down the wind guard I had Carelessly not hooked in and locked properly. The pot of water was moved by the Lid striking the pot and spilling the contents on my Sock and Running Shoe. I painfully inserted it in the Beverage Cooler with ice and water. By now my wife and her friend were assisting me. Her friend suggested using egg white on the Burn. Done. As we were heading to the Hospital 20 min away, we, re-applied ice. The Doctor at the Emergency Dept said the egg white was a perfect solution as there is growth hormone in the egg white to support development of a fertilized yolk. As well, a Fire Paste Cream was applied. There was Discoloration for about 3 Months. One year Later, Not even a Hint there was any damage of any sort. Tess 40
Tess40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #22

Worst experiences

Memorial Day 2015, first trip with brand new Precept driven straight from dealer to campground. Same campground every year. On second night in new RV I had a small stroke and hemorrhage....Spent a week in local hospital... Memorial Day 2017, same campground I received an unprovoked dog bite from another campsite. Spent a week in the same hospital on IV antibiotics. We have sworn off that campground....our family calls it "Bad JuJu Campground"!!

karl & pam eulberg
2016 31 UL Precept
2014 Equinox Toad
CamperNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #23

Back in the 70's my family used to camp every other weekend in a tent trailer (no power, sink, toilet, etc). One night I had gone up a hill at the state park we were camping at to do some star gazing.

On the way back, walking past a very smelly pit toilet, I heard a strange noise coming from within. Being a nosey kid, I went to check it out.

Inside was a man in his 40s, sitting on the seat, pants down and a 6 pack on his lap, Sound Asleep.

I always figured he was either overcome by the stink or drunk. Maybe both.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #24

Years ago my girlfriend, now my wife, and I were camping near Bangor, Maine. We were tent camping so sounds come in quite loudly. She woke me in the middle of the night to tell me their was a disturbance just outside our tent. I got up and looked across a small field to a pavilion that was there. I observed people running around a huge fire. They were shouting and I could hear two-way radios going off. A short time later a squad car and a fire truck showed up. The fire department personal put out the fire and left.

The next morning I walked over to the pavilion to see what was going on. To my delight I observed a yellow police barrier tape around what looked like a burn to crisp pig. Talking to the guys there they IDed themselves as members of the Bangor PD. They told me that they were going to have their first every pig roast picnic that day but things didn't go so well. It seems that no one told them that as the pig was turning on the rotisserie they were suppose to skew the pig to allow all the fat to drain out as it cooked. Failing to do this all the fat just kept building inside the pig until it found a way out and igniting like a bomb when it hit the coals. The laughing earlier that evening was the fire crew laughing at the cops for the mess they made.

The picnic when on but instead of a delicious roast pig they had hot dogs and hamburgers. To this day I chuckle at the whole evert.
Mosinee, WI.
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMroz View Post
Years ago my girlfriend, now my wife, and I were camping near Bangor, Maine. We were tent camping so sounds come in quite loudly. She woke me in the middle of the night to tell me their was a disturbance just outside our tent. I got up and looked across a small field to a pavilion that was there. I observed people running around a huge fire. They were shouting and I could hear two-way radios going off. A short time later a squad car and a fire truck showed up. The fire department personal put out the fire and left.

The next morning I walked over to the pavilion to see what was going on. To my delight I observed a yellow police barrier tape around what looked like a burn to crisp pig. Talking to the guys there they IDed themselves as members of the Bangor PD. They told me that they were going to have their first every pig roast picnic that day but things didn't go so well. It seems that no one told them that as the pig was turning on the rotisserie they were suppose to skew the pig to allow all the fat to drain out as it cooked. Failing to do this all the fat just kept building inside the pig until it found a way out and igniting like a bomb when it hit the coals. The laughing earlier that evening was the fire crew laughing at the cops for the mess they made.

The picnic when on but instead of a delicious roast pig they had hot dogs and hamburgers. To this day I chuckle at the whole evert.
Now that's a good one..

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #26

I wet the bed the first night at boy scout camp at Flatrock river camp in St. Paul Indiana. Must've been really excited.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #27

This event happened last month - DW and I camped at a Georgia state park over Memorial day weekend, walked the dogs one evening to the far end of the CG, noticed a junky camp site and a white van with few windows, but a sliding door open. As we walked past, I observed what appeared to be a stream of water coming from the door, only to realize the occupant was "taking a leak", when he saw us he slammed the door. I wasn't pleased my wife was subjected to that behavior, but we shrugged it off and let it go.

Fast forward 6 weeks. I'm back at the same state park with only the dogs - it's one where the campsites are pick your own. It was midweek so I picked a nice site and couldn't see anyone nearby. After setting up, I walked the dogs and discovered right across the road what appeared to be an abandoned campsite, junky with sleeping bags laying out, dishes in the fireplace, but it had a tag that expired two weeks into the future. I mentally noted it and moved on. Right at dark, the same white van pulled up to the site across from me, right beside the junky site. (This was in a completely different area than May) I had a strong uneasy feeling about the occupant even if I couldn't explain why. The dogs did without their evening walk, and I locked all the storage and put everything away that night before bed. The dogs normally sleep real well, but were restless and on edge that night.

Right at dawn I was awaken by a car alarm going off, only to quickly realize it was the alarm on my truck, which I had never heard before. It took me about 30 seconds to get my bearings, and I ran outside to get a look at the situation. This was not smart for many reasons, but that is now a lesson learned. Nothing was seen, no damage was noted on my truck, but I did notice the van had lights on in the rear window. It could be coincidental but I have a strong feeling someone was scoping out my rig.
jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson View Post
This event happened last month - DW and I camped at a Georgia state park over Memorial day weekend, walked the dogs one evening to the far end of the CG, noticed a junky camp site and a white van with few windows, but a sliding door open. As we walked past, I observed what appeared to be a stream of water coming from the door, only to realize the occupant was "taking a leak", when he saw us he slammed the door. I wasn't pleased my wife was subjected to that behavior, but we shrugged it off and let it go.

Fast forward 6 weeks. I'm back at the same state park with only the dogs - it's one where the campsites are pick your own. It was midweek so I picked a nice site and couldn't see anyone nearby. After setting up, I walked the dogs and discovered right across the road what appeared to be an abandoned campsite, junky with sleeping bags laying out, dishes in the fireplace, but it had a tag that expired two weeks into the future. I mentally noted it and moved on. Right at dark, the same white van pulled up to the site across from me, right beside the junky site. (This was in a completely different area than May) I had a strong uneasy feeling about the occupant even if I couldn't explain why. The dogs did without their evening walk, and I locked all the storage and put everything away that night before bed. The dogs normally sleep real well, but were restless and on edge that night.

Right at dawn I was awaken by a car alarm going off, only to quickly realize it was the alarm on my truck, which I had never heard before. It took me about 30 seconds to get my bearings, and I ran outside to get a look at the situation. This was not smart for many reasons, but that is now a lesson learned. Nothing was seen, no damage was noted on my truck, but I did notice the van had lights on in the rear window. It could be coincidental but I have a strong feeling someone was scoping out my rig.

In reference to Jefferson's post I had a similar incident while camping down in Florida years ago. I was camping in a motorcycle camper called a Time Out. This tent for this unit has a full zipper in back along with the one in front. As I was walking back to my site I noticed my camper was moving, when there should have been no one in it. I ran towards the camper just in time to see a young kid climb out the back and run off. I immediately checked my property inside the camper and determined that nothing was missing. I then headed over to the campground office to report the incident. Once I described the kid the employee told me he knew exactly which family and campsite he was from. He went on to tell me they have had a rash of theft lately but they didn't know who was responsible. He called the Police and waited until they arrived. I IDed myself as a LEO from Wisconsin and gave my description of the kid who was in my trailer. The campground staff and the police drove over to the suspects campsite to confront them. Naturally the kid and his family denied anything to do with any thefts, even though the kid was still wearing the cloths I described as he ran away from my camper. The family was immediately tossed out of the campground by the staff. The police waited while they packed up and headed out. I was later told that his family was part of a roaming group who hit an area with theft and shoplifting then moves on...
Mosinee, WI.
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #29

Mine's similar to others. Me and my 5th grader at the time are camping out at a school sponsored function.

Thunderstorm rolls in. And the cheap Coleman tent collapses in the first breeze. Luckily, I had brought a smaller Kelty and I get it up as the rain starts.

My son and I crawl in as the entire 5th grade class takes refuge in the Wildlife Center.

I keep asking my son, "Are you OK? Do you want to go inside?" About the third round of interrogation, he responds with a deep resounding snore. He's sound asleep.

Our 5th grade teacher runs out and asks if we're ok. I tell her, he's fast asleep.

Pretty good thunderstorm.

But it made me realize how a good tent is worth it's weight in gold -- when you need it. After that, I didn't cheap out on camping gear again. Gave that Coleman tent away.

Next morning, he wakes up and wonders why all of the other tents are empty?
Old 08-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Mine's similar to others. Me and my 5th grader at the time are camping out at a school sponsored function.

Thunderstorm rolls in. And the cheap Coleman tent collapses in the first breeze. Luckily, I had brought a smaller Kelty and I get it up as the rain starts.

My son and I crawl in as the entire 5th grade class takes refuge in the Wildlife Center.

I keep asking my son, "Are you OK? Do you want to go inside?" About the third round of interrogation, he responds with a deep resounding snore. He's sound asleep.

Our 5th grade teacher runs out and asks if we're ok. I tell her, he's fast asleep.

Pretty good thunderstorm.

But it made me realize how a good tent is worth it's weight in gold -- when you need it. After that, I didn't cheap out on camping gear again. Gave that Coleman tent away.

Next morning, he wakes up and wonders why all of the other tents are empty?
I still have my "official Boy Scouts Of America" fabric tent from camping with my three Sons at Scout outings 25 years ago. I spent my 1 week a year vacation with the boys for week long summer camp each year. It is a little over 6ft tall, good 10ft long and probably 6 ft wide. Full floor withe full screens, zipper doors on both ends. It wasn't cheap at the time but I figured if I was going to camp that much I wanted something good to spend my time in. It is a great quality tent......don't think I'll ever sell it. I'll bet a good quality canvas tent is really pricey no but I figure it would be a handy thing to have to go RVing as a "back-up" OR if I get in trouble with my wife I'll have a good canvas "dog house"
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #31

I left my x213 at the campgrounds last weekend (luckily they had a storage yard attached) Got up to leave Monday morning and was hit by something called BPPV Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo! imagine being in a camper that moves a bit, on a sloped hill and waking up with Vertigo. I thought I was dying and made my wife call for an Ambulance that took me to Flagstaff. They diagnosed me fairly quickly with this problem which I had never heard of and had a PT do The Epley maneuver which really helped, however I have just now one week later felt ok to drive. Wife had to drive us back home to Vegas. Posting this to help if anyone else suddenly wakes up with the room spinning, mine got so bad I vomited.

Now I have to travel 4 hours back to pick up my TT, may just decide to camp there again when I pick it up.
Las Vegas, NV
LVChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #32

I don't know how to classify these since we made the best of a bad situation. Adult beverage could have had a hand in it that.
2000 something camped at Rockingham Speedway a tornado was in the area. The wife and I literally had to brace ourselves arms out to hold the side of the popup from blowing over. Everytime we eased up the top moved close to what seems a ft so we stayed like that for about 30 minutes. Everything from tents to awnings went blowing by us. Sheriff's came through the campground prior and warned us but with no where to go what could we do.
2016 Darlington Speedway Petty Campground. We arrived while Hurricane Hermine was still doin it's thing. To try an save the popup canopy I drilled an extra hole in the legs so we could lower it a notch and we all stood out there underneath it trying to keep it from blowing away. (Beverage involved). My wife and a friend stood under the awnening of the popup pushing up on it to keep the water from making a lake in the middle of it. The straw of the broom is still bent over from that day. It useless as a broom but a good keepsake.
2017 a storm rolls through. Same thing. Lowered the pop up canopy and fought the brutal rains and winds. Didn't even cross my mind to put away the awnening on the new Jayco. After about 30 minutes of brutal wind and rain we could here something buy couldn't make sense of it. Found out the next day it was an ambulance driving down the lane behind us (30ft maybe) telling people to seek shelter over their speaker. My friend who lives nearby and works for AT&T sent me pics of where the tornado ripped pumpkins out of the ground and destroyed power poles and a few other things. He said the tornado was a couple miles away from us amd was headed in our direction.
In either cases nobody was hurt, the only damage was my buddies fiberglass flag pole that snapped where he had it hooked to the toung of his camper. The rest of each weekend was great as usual.
Maybe I'll chalk them up as to having some of the scarier moments during a camp trip cause there was a few minutes here and there I'll admit I got kind of worried.