Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Would you shop or buy from this dealer?
Yes, I would proceed. 2 2.25%
No, I'd walk away and shop elsewhere. 87 97.75%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #21

The number of was new (car/truck/RV) dealers profit from a sale is mind-boggling!
-Difference between sale price and dealer cost
-Incentives from the manufacturer
-Commission on the financing
-Etc.

The best we, as buyers can do is aggressively negotiate the sales price with the expectation that we will finance the purchase. Then pay cash. Let them try and explain how they can't sell you the [item] now.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #22

No
michelleinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #23

Not a chance... They don't have your best interest in mind. They actually don't have any part of your interest in mind.

When we bought our new Jayco, we knew exactly what model, what options and what color we wanted. We did our research at RV shows where we could compare manufacturers and model lines back to back... we could compare options... we could compare quality.

After we settled on Jayco, we started looking at floor plans. The 29QBS was NOT what I originally wanted when I looked at floorplans. We looked at one at an RV show and really liked it. Then I started pricing them out online using internet wholesale dealers as a baseline.

After I had an idea of prices we could get if we were willing to drive 5 hours to pick it up, I knew what I considered to be "fair pricing". I sent emails to about 5 local dealers (within 2 hours) with the EXACT floorplan, option codes and colors that we wanted. I let them all know that we would be ordering in early February (about 2 months away) and were interested in the out-the-door price. Had a local dealer offer within $500 or so of a wholesale dealer (and saved me a couple hour drive to pick it up in New York), so we agreed upon price. Walked in to the dealer a couple weeks later to put down the deposit, they actually knocked another $200 off the price after my wife made a comment about the price being $500 more expensive than our next best offer.

No games, great experience from the dealer. We arrived to pick up our trailer, they did a thorough walk thru with us and set up my hitch (correctly too!!!) while we finished the paperwork. I had some warranty work done earlier this summer, they did the work quickly, and got our rig back to us in between trips. I can promise you that this dealership will get our business when its time to eventually replace our current rig!

Keystone Mega RV Center in Greencastle, PA, in case anyone is nearby. I could not be more satisfied with the dealer.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #24

I'd walk. I've probably been on 5 or less lots, and most cases I was told to have a look and doors were unlocked. Only one place do I remember someone walking us around for about an hour but we didn't have to give them anything upfront.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #25

We bought ours at a show... we had looked for a couple of years on lots and were always treated with respect even though we told them we weren't ready to buy just looking. And once my wife gets into the deal i let her go like a bulldog because she wants the moon and will walk with anything less lol
Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #26

When I was a youngin (in my 20's) and wanted to buy my first new car, one dealer wanted my drivers licence before I could take a test drive. In my young naive self i thought it was OK. When i returned they wouldn't give it back, but rather wanted me to sign to buy the car.

Lesson learned.

Are you kidding me? I thought crap like was described here ended 40 years ago. I would not only walk away, but I would write a letter to the newspaper editor and have the dealer's tactic published for all to know. Further, the "friend" would be banished from friendship forever.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #27

Hard to believe that dealer is still in business. The RV dealerships in my area have the trailer's doors all open on the lot for inspection.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #28

The results are as I figured. I'll pass just the results on to my friend to prove the point, and maybe he'll pass it on to the higher ups. I won't name this dealer, but they are nation wide and get bashed a lot. This one just happens to be closer to me. Hard to believe any business would think this method works.

Thanks to all who voted so far.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #29

I like to be greeted when I first get to the lot/store, be asked what I am looking for and then be pointed in the right direction and left on my own. Whether it is a car, rv, appliance, whatever...

Those are the salespeople I make sure I find when I'm ready to buy.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #30

I should add at one dealer we had a salesperson follow us for an hour or more. He was really helpful. I learned a lot from him as he explained each product. It was a slow weekday, he knew we were in the early stages of looking, but was willing to give us the time. We would have bought our TT from him if he had the floor plan we decided on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #31

I work in Sales in another industry. The tactics this dealer are using are awful.

Unfortunately, they are also common. These dealers aren't here to make friends. They are here to make money. Bottom line. Everything else is just dressing, and if any dealer tells you different, they are lying. If they aren't there to make money, they aren't going to be in business very long.

The sales guy most of you are describing, that hands you his card, and then walks away, bounces around from dealer to dealer a lot. Because he's not a good sales guy. Sales Managers hate that guy. The business is just an extension of the automotive business, where CRM's, followups and units sold are top priority.

The ONLY exception, is small, family run dealers, that have a staff with low turnover, industry veterans, etc.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #32

^^ I worked in sales in an industry that was all repeat business, like selling tires to Jayco. So you really couldn't burn someone by pushing too hard.

The OP can save his breath. This forum isn't going to drive their tactics. According to this thread we want tour guides or unfettered access to each unit. In fact the dealer should just leave out a stack of contracts and we'll sign one with the price we want to pay. Some people will buy that way. But I'll bet most people don't buy on their own they are sold a unit.

If 100 people walk through your lot and 2 might buy in their own, you will hire salespeople to sell campers to as many of the rest as you can.

Better feedback to the dealer is we want salespeople to know as much as the long term posters here. At worst will say I don't know instead of saying whatever they think is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graunke View Post
I work in Sales in another industry. The tactics this dealer are using are awful.

Unfortunately, they are also common. These dealers aren't here to make friends. They are here to make money. Bottom line. Everything else is just dressing, and if any dealer tells you different, they are lying. If they aren't there to make money, they aren't going to be in business very long.

The sales guy most of you are describing, that hands you his card, and then walks away, bounces around from dealer to dealer a lot. Because he's not a good sales guy. Sales Managers hate that guy. The business is just an extension of the automotive business, where CRM's, followups and units sold are top priority.

The ONLY exception, is small, family run dealers, that have a staff with low turnover, industry veterans, etc.
It is refreshing to see that at least one person here understands how sales works.

Yes, this particular dealers tactics are over the top... but I have a feeling there is more to the story than a single data point.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #34

Would You Buy From This Dealer

LOL, all I know is I've bought two new campers in the last 3 years and nobody held my hand and walked me around a lot or requested any info prior to providing me with a price quote.

I know some people need extra attention and that's fine. Just don't push it on those who don't need it...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #35

The customer still calls the shots. If you want the master key and the ability to walk the entire lot without any 'help' from the sales staff, ask for it. Walk if they say no, not just because their staff have been trained to follow you around and ask you questions.

Every customer has different expectations, make sure your dealer knows what yours are. Most will accommodate them.

Seems half the people want the hand holding, the others don't. The salesman isn't psychic tell him/her what they can / can't do to earn your business. Win / Win.

I have an 800+ credit score and have bought a half dozen trucks from my local dealer - they still need my drivers license before I can test drive a new truck. Standard ops... for all they know I just lost my job and I'm taking their 60K truck to mexico on my test drive, never to return. Their own insurance that covers their inventory probably requires it anyway. I let them photo copy my license for that reason.

Asking if you have decent credit is just their way of determining if you are wasting their time. If they want to actually run your credit, pre-deal - I'd walk over that.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #36

I'm not trying to change this business. I am not in sales. But I have purchased enough of them over multiple states and dealers to know what I like to see,. A majority of experienced owners seek out the same type of experience I do. Getting hard to find a dealer like that though. I am merely sharing real world statistics from experienced RVers with a friend that sells them and knows little about them. He wasn't too keen on how it all worked, so I started a poll to share opinions.

So how do they survive. People new to camping that know little about them. Those people will always be around, thus these dealers will always survive by taking advantage of the inexperienced. It's obvious that everybody that voted on this pole wouldn't buy from there, so who do you think does.

We, as in my family, are not your average type campers. We go to dealers like people go to Walmart. My daughter can school most salesman and would shock you. I'm constantly researching to see how each one operates and where the market is headed. I follow most all manufacturers very closely. I keep up with the industry on a daily basis. RV Nerd, would be putting it lightly.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #37

No.
But we don't buy from dealers or buy new for many reasons including having to deal with "liars".
We have a family member that was in car sales for a long time and could sell ice cubes to Eskimos!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #38

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I am not personally a salesman, but my son used to sell new cars so I know the drill about how some dealers try to cheat people. I have bought a dozen or so new cars, boats, motorcycles and RVs so I'm not a novice either. In think I understand the sales drill (need to make money), but I also understand that honesty and integrity need to be part of the deal.

Photocopy my license before the test drive - fine. Check my credit rating before we make the final deal and we both sign the contract - fine as well. Have the Salesperson accompany me through the lot....I welcome that...I probably have questions that need to be answered.

However, the tactics listed in post #1, IMHO, signal a dealer to be avoided.

A previous poster cited problem with a large National Dealer. I bought my Jayco from a large National Dealer with 6 or 7 stores - could even be the same one. But, I bought from a NY store and i can honestly say that the transaction was the best new purchase I EVER made. The saleswoman was that good and the dealer exceeded my expectations.

OTOH, I DON'T buy used. No guarantee, plus why would I trust a person that is selling something that they don't want anymore......LOL.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
So, I have a friend that works at a RV dealer as a salesman. We used to work together offshore. He got laid off about a year before I did, but we have remained close friends. Now that he's on the "inside", I do get to hear a thing or two about sales at this dealer, including the crooked crap that goes on.

At this dealer, all rigs are locked.
Quote:
The normal protocol is to walk in the office, lay out all of your info (name and general info, credit score on a 1-10 rating, budget, amount you'd put on down payment, what you're looking for etc.). This is all before you go on the lot to see a rig. After that the salesman goes with you by the manager's office, the manager sees your info and names off how ever many rigs that might fit what you're looking for. Then and only then do you proceed to the lot (with the salesman) to see those rigs.
So the question is, would you go through this aggravating crap, or would you walk / proceed to another dealer.

I'd walk.

Sorry but I didn't answer your Poll. Why?

Because I've never seen this at an RV Dealer...ever.

Sure some lock their units and that's a good thing. Having someone either come out to greet you on the lot or, if one actually goes into the dealership building and is greeted those are good things also...like welcoming you into their home.

Sure questions about what you are looking for and some general chit chat to get acquainted are normal and quite frankly expected.

A business, any business, objective is to make money and that's no different in the RV world. They can spend millions of dollars to setup a business to offer product and service that customers can and will appreciate.

I've been around and am familiar with the RV business for decades and again I've never run across a situation like you've brought up. Maybe a name or names of these dealers would help some of our members here.

Safe travels.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #40

Larry, I've never experienced this type of dealer either. Have experienced some bad or aggravating ones, but not like this. In the past I've been to this dealer, but didn't experience this. Apparently this is some sort of new tactic for them. My friend is new there, and this is the way he was shown. Maybe I'll stop by there again and pull their chain a little.