Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #21

I'm not buying that financing costs on an older unit add to the price. I agree that because of financing, that 2014 is costing him money every day it sits on his lot. He has supply, but no demand. That should lower the cost to the consumer. I don't mean to dis you, (as I have the benefit of third party eyes with hindsight), but a significantly lower price on a newer model should have told you and the dealer that there was something different between the two models. It's not just the dealer's fault - you both missed it. That being said, it's time to either move forward or move on.

After you've expressed to the dealer your disappointment in your special order not being what you expected, ask him if he'll sell you the 2014 for what you had negotiated for the 2015 . . . plus a couple of extra's to ease your pain. After all, he's getting rid of an older model and gaining a newer one at no real cost to him. If he agrees, I'd jump at the chance. You'll be getting a new trailer with everything you really wanted it to have. In the long run, who really cares about what model year it is? Will a couple hundred dollars more at trade-in make up for the extra cost of another special order; or replace the lost time and memories for you and your family?

Buy the '14 and enjoy it for many, many years. Where you take it for service is up to you.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #22

Brownie,
Not to undermine and/or discredit your what you said but I beg to differ.

When I was shopping for my Lance travel trailer, summer of last year, there were a lot of model year 2013 sitting on Dealer's lot. The exact one I was looking for with exact options was going for around $29,000 (after negotiations). However, I was able to special order another one, model year 2015, with exact same options for only $26,000 delivered.

Same case applied to my current Jayco Eagle Touring 5th Wheel. There was a 2014 that the Dealer's bottom price was $34,000. I was able to special order a 2015 with a lot more options (Thermal pane windows, rear hitch, 2nd A/C, MorRyde Pin Box) for $31,500.

You see the trend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I'm not buying that financing costs on an older unit add to the price. I agree that because of financing, that 2014 is costing him money every day it sits on his lot. He has supply, but no demand. That should lower the cost to the consumer. I don't mean to dis you, (as I have the benefit of third party eyes with hindsight), but a significantly lower price on a newer model should have told you and the dealer that there was something different between the two models. It's not just the dealer's fault - you both missed it. That being said, it's time to either move forward or move on.

After you've expressed to the dealer your disappointment in your special order not being what you expected, ask him if he'll sell you the 2014 for what you had negotiated for the 2015 . . . plus a couple of extra's to ease your pain. After all, he's getting rid of an older model and gaining a newer one at no real cost to him. If he agrees, I'd jump at the chance. You'll be getting a new trailer with everything you really wanted it to have. In the long run, who really cares about what model year it is? Will a couple hundred dollars more at trade-in make up for the extra cost of another special order; or replace the lost time and memories for you and your family?

Buy the '14 and enjoy it for many, many years. Where you take it for service is up to you.

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKEagle View Post
Brownie,
Not to undermine and/or discredit your what you said but I beg to differ.

When I was shopping for my Lance travel trailer, summer of last year, there were a lot of model year 2013 sitting on Dealer's lot. The exact one I was looking for with exact options was going for around $29,000 (after negotiations). However, I was able to special order another one, model year 2015, with exact same options for only $26,000 delivered.

Same case applied to my current Jayco Eagle Touring 5th Wheel. There was a 2014 that the Dealer's bottom price was $34,000. I was able to special order a 2015 with a lot more options (Thermal pane windows, rear hitch, 2nd A/C, MorRyde Pin Box) for $31,500.

You see the trend?
Doesn't seem logical, but I stand corrected. Thanks for enlightening me, PK.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #24

Brownie... With respect I do not think there is really anything I could have done to indicate that there was something significantly different or lacking in the 2015, despite the price difference. In Canada we are dealing with a constantly changing exchange rate and that was, in part, how it was explained to us.

Thx to all for the opinions. We are taking the 2014. The hide-a-bed option is not free because we already added it on to the original trailer we ordered (adding a $529 US charge, which is MSRP for the hide-a-bed) - but in the end we decided that rather than fight for our deposit back and find another dealer we'd rather just move on like many of you suggested. It isn't ideal, but at the same time it probably never really would be ideal and at this point I just want to go camping!

PS, PKEagle, interesting point about the financing. Makes sense.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote