Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #1

WWYD - dealer issues

gonna try to keep this short...

a) trailer A ordered, it is a 2015. We are promised that it will have the exact equipment as trailer B, which is in stock, but is a 2014. We do pay for one extra feature, a hide-a-bed.

b) trailer A arrives, but does not have the exact equipment even though I confirmed 3x that it did. Either dealership has messed up or Jayco has, but it wasn't ordered properly and lacks the "Elite" package which is missing several important features.

c) I asked to order a new 2015 that does have all the features (trailer C) and to get it for the price we negotiated.

d) dealer says no. offers to sell us trailer B (the 2014) for same price, and they will install the hide-a-bed. Or we can get trailer C ordered but will have to pay an additional $1300 or so.

I'm honestly not really thrilled with either option presented. Taking the 2014 is okay I guess except then it's a trailer that is another year older (in the eyes of a buyer in the future.) But I also don't want to pay more to get what we were originally promised.

WWYD?
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Sounds like the dealer is pulling the old bait and switch. I would find another dealer and tell this one to go fly a kite. If this isn't possible I would go ahead and buy the 2014 and let the dealer put in the hide-a-bed which is probably what the dealer had in mind all a long. Then I would express your disappointment to the dealer and tell them that they have lost a current and future customer. I wouldn't worry too much about the model year. I think most buyers look at the condition of a used RV first rather than worry about the model year.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #3

Thx so much. I should clarify a couple of things; when we were first there we were told that trailer b, the 2014, was going to cost $2,000 more since "they paid more for it due to exchange etc." I thought that sounded odd since the exchange rate surely is worse now than it was several months ago, but of course it makes sense now since the trailer that arrived hadn't been ordered with the elite package.

We had agreed at first to buy the 2015 and pay more, thinking it wasn't the dealer's error, but since that time, the customer service has been poor which is why I contacted them again to ask that they honour the price. I did think "bait and switch" too, but sometimes it's hard to be objective when you're in the middle of it, you know?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #4

What does your sales contract say? If it was all verbal then I agree, the dealer is trying to pull a fast one.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #5

The two RV dealers I have worked with suck. Sorry but they do. I don't know how they can sleep at night.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #6

I can't remember exactly what the sales contract said, but we had a clause for subject to viewing/subject to trailer being as described in email correspondence... we did everything by email, so in that sense I am not certain that the dealer MEANT to be shady. By all accounts, someone ordering made a mistake in not realizing that the 2015's have to be ordered with the elite package, which is why the pricing for the 2015 seemed lower than the 2014. I guess what I'm struggling with now is feeling like the only really viable choice is taking the 2014, even though in my view they should have honoured the price for the 2015. The dealership seems to think they are doing us a favour by giving us the lower price on the 2014 because it has "more features". Sadly I think this might be our only choice. I'm just so frustrated and it feels like this is putting a major damper on the entire process.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #7

Mspooley, sorry to hear you've had bad experiences.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #8

The year of the RV actually does make a difference as I was given a trade-in price from two different dealers sight unseen based on the NADA book value with the stipulation that any necessary repairs would be deducted from that price.
2013 Jayco Premier 321 RLTS w/Atwood Levelegs (now removed)
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #9

I would be disappointed too, but it doesn't sound like a bait and switch as much a mistake with understanding changes to standards and options for 2015.

If this was me and the 2014 is exactly what I wanted and the only reason I didn't buy it originally was it appeared that I could order a 2015 built the same way for $1300 less and a MY newer, then it turned out there was a mistake and that wasn't the case but the dealer then offered me the 2014 (again with everything I want) for the $1300 less I would take it.

Right now it might think model year really matters, but it really isn't that much. Go take a look at the price difference between comparable MY 2008 vs 2009 -- there is very little if any difference in price. If you plan to keep your BHBE for 5+ years then who cares if you get a 14 or 15. If you plan to trade for another in 2-3 years, you should be buying used right now not new.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdixon View Post
The year of the RV actually does make a difference as I was given a trade-in price from two different dealers sight unseen based on the NADA book value with the stipulation that any necessary repairs would be deducted from that price.
I would argue the older the a RV the less model year matters. I did some quick checking when we were buying and selling and to me it appears at 5+ years old the value is indistinguishable between between consecutive years. Go look right now at MY '08 vs '09 for the same TT is almost no difference.

Sure trading a MY 2013 could really matter, simply because there are still new 2013 out there, and dealers have to be aware of what effect used units in the same year as new units has on price.

Also trading in might be the lowest hassle way to unload an RV, it's also how you will realize the least value vs selling it private party.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I would be disappointed too, but it doesn't sound like a bait and switch as much a mistake with understanding changes to standards and options for 2015.

If this was me and the 2014 is exactly what I wanted and the only reason I didn't buy it originally was it appeared that I could order a 2015 built the same way for $1300 less and a MY newer, then it turned out there was a mistake and that wasn't the case but the dealer then offered me the 2014 (again with everything I want) for the $1300 less I would take it.

Right now it might think model year really matters, but it really isn't that much. Go take a look at the price difference between comparable MY 2008 vs 2009 -- there is very little if any difference in price. If you plan to keep your BHBE for 5+ years then who cares if you get a 14 or 15. If you plan to trade for another in 2-3 years, you should be buying used right now not new.
clubhouse, thanks - this is a good perspective that I hadn't really thought of before, maybe because my righteous indignation is in the way! You're right that it was mostly price that turned us to the 2015, b/c who would buy the 2014 for more when the 2015 was cheaper. And yes, we intend to keep this one for quite a while, barring anything unforeseen.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #12

I personally wouldn't do any business with a dealer I wasn't 100% comfortable with. If you have any doubts about his honesty now I would personally walk away and find another dealer.
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #13

Don't know what kind of vehicle or personal property taxes you pay, but generally the older the vehicle/trailer is the less the tax will be.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkii View Post
I personally wouldn't do any business with a dealer I wasn't 100% comfortable with. If you have any doubts about his honesty now I would personally walk away and find another dealer.
X2

You can negotiate all you want to at this point, but you will always have a bad taste in your mouth with this dealer. That's a tough thing to have given that you may very well have to count on them for future services.

Your Jayco trailer is supposed to be the time of your life, and enjoyable , but this experience will always taint that.

If it were me, and an option, I would walk away.

However it works out, I hope it's everything you deserve.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #15

Taxes are the same, 12% sales tax here in BC!

You are right that we'll probably always have a bad taste in the mouth about this dealer... I am not really sure what to do at this point. It will be a fight to get our deposit back, I think.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #16

I would be upset at the salesperson as well. But camping season is coming. When are you planning your first trip? If it is fairly soon, you may want to take the 14. Sometimes things like this work out for a reason. If you keep it for many years it really won't matter as for resale anyways. Think about all the great memories that will be made. I think I would see about getting the dealer the "throw" in a few extras like MaxxAir covers, extra power cord, maybe $200-$300 store credit or something like that. Let them know how disappointed you are and maybe that would help. The only other option is to go to the next dealer and wait up to 2 months for the new one to come in...probably at a higher price. Just remember, once warranty is up, you don't even need the dealer anymore. Do all your own mods and repairs.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #17

I agree with Clubhouse. If you are going to keep it, and it has all the features you want, then enjoy the fact you got an even better deal, for the price of a 15 you get the fully loaded 14 with everything you want.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #18

If you don't trust the dealer you are purchasing from I would recommend running away and finding another place to purchase it.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #19
Site Team

Buy the 14 and go camping this weekend!
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #20

Kodes,
I feel your pain. Nothing more frustrating than waiting for a special ordered trailer only to have it delivered differently.

If I were you, I would just take the 2014 with the free hide-a sofa upgrade then move on. Even though it is a 2014, it is still a BRAND NEW unused trailer. Also, you will be able to start making those memories with your loved ones right away instead of waiting for another 2-3 months.

Regarding why a special ordered 2015 trailer would be cheaper than a Dealer lot inventory 2014, in most instances has to do with the Dealer Flooring (aka financing costs). You see, the 2014 hit the Dealer's lot a little while ago. It definitely has racked up some financing costs in the tune of several thousands. The Dealer has to either sell it at a reasonable mark up to break out even with the financing costs or take a loss.

On the other hand, a brand new special ordered trailer doesn't incur any financing costs until delivered at the Dealer lot. Once a customer picks up their special ordered trailer right away, the Dealer cuts a check to the Manufacturer thus no extra financing costs at all.

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote