Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

X-Chocks

We have a 2015 Pinnacle and have used X-Chocks since we have owned it. During my un-hitching routine I place the Chocks and tighten them before dropping the landing gear and disconnecting the TV. At some point during unhitching and using the Autolevel the Chocks loosen to the point of just hanging between the tires. So far I have been lucky in that all the campsites we have visited are very level so a roll away is un-likely.
I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and if there is anything that can be done to prevent this. I fear the answer may be the purchase and use of standard chocks, although that's a better option than the trailer rolling away. I am not sure that the make/model has anything to do with the issue, I am guessing something with the mechanics of the spring hangers and suspension.
I did a search in this forum and found a thread about X-Chocks but it seemed that all who replied had no issues in their use.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

I use a different brand for my 'x-chocks'. They loosen considerably once the tires have cooled after pulling in to camp and have to be re adjusted usually within 30 minutes, or less. From your description, it sounds like yours are loosening a lot more than mine.. but in any event, everyone has to retighten them if they are initially applied on tires that have heated up. Can't fight physics, there is no solution.

However, your fears are also correct.

You shouldn't rely on x-chocks alone. You can make your own or spend the 5 bucks on the cheap plastic ones, or get the higher grade versions that truckers use. Lots of options, from free to infinity.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #3

X Chocks are designed primarily as stabilizers and not to replace standard wheel chocks.

I level side to side, chock with standard chocks, unhitch, level front to back, drop my stabilizers and then finally set my X Chocks.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

As mentioned by Bansai, it is due to your tires cooling. You should still be using regular wheel chocks to prevent the trailer from possibly rolling away. There have been a few reports of roll away trailers due to the lack of regular wheel chicks and relying on the x-chocks only.

In the box there should have been a sheet with a warning to not install the x-chocks until the trailer has been leveled.

The x-chocks are usually the last thing I install when setting up to allow the tires to cool. Depending on arrival time, I may not put them on until being at the campsite a few hours.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #5

I believe they're more for stabilizing the camper then stopping a runaway. We unhitch and set up the rest of the camper. We'll put the X chocks on right before we put the slide out since the slide is over the wheels and it's a pain to get in there. I like to put 4 regular chocks on the camper. Two go in front of the front tires and two go behind the rear tires. Combine that with the x chocks and she's not going anywhere. :-)

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #6

I use regular wheel chocks while unhooking. The X-Chocks are more for stabilizing than for stopping roll away. I usually install them after leveling and before running out the slideout. I pull them down pretty tight as it's a PITA to get under the slide. Keeps the fiver from shaking, haven't had to retighten. Also leave them on untill hooked up and ready to pull the wheel chocks.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #7

X-Chocks

It says right in the x chock video to use them after you are unhooked and level first.

https://youtu.be/qlXsECP9_ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #8

I ran into the same issue this past week with mine. I chocked the tires using regular chocks and also installed the x-chocks. After the auto-level completed the regular chocks were no longer touching any of the tires and the x-chocks were just hanging loosely. I think it has something to do with the FW raising with the auto-level system and taking pressure off of the tires. I am thinking next time I will use regular chocks then auto-level and afterwards install the x-chocks. Have to remember to remove before un-leveling again.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #9

I don't think they are a good idea for auto-level campers simply because you could forget to remove them before hitting the button to retract the levelers. This would result in them being much tighter against the tires than they should be. I have an almost new set I used with another rig without the auto-level but I don't use them with the Pinnacle.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #10

X chocks are not a substitute for regular wedge chocks. X chock installation/removal should be the very last thing done in setting up and the very first thing done when tearing down.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
X chocks are not a substitute for regular wedge chocks. X chock installation/removal should be the very last thing done in setting up and the very first thing done when tearing down.
^^This

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #12

Instructions? Youtube how to video? Whats that?

All kidding aside, that's why I posted the question here, I knew there are lots of experienced people here that would know the answer. Thank you all for the replies. Amazon here I come, again. Its just that I already have a small lumber yard in the TV already for leveling, blocks under the landing gear, ect.

I purchased the X-Chocks on a recommendation from my father. He full timed in an Avion TT for 20 years and he said that is all he ever used.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #13

X Chocks are NOT a replacement from traditional tire chocks, they clearly state that on the instructions. Your chocks are likely not loosening, your tires shrink as they cool down from driving.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote