Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

X213 Interior smells

Went in X213 the other day to get some things and she smells awful! There is water in the commode I think it’s coming from the grey - maybe? Last trip out (3 weeks ago) we had a smell near the rear slide when I flushed, we thought this was the A/C sucking in the black tank fumes. But now she has been sitting for a few weeks and the smell is still there. I tried the GEO method (Calgon and Dawn) last time could that be it?

There is water in the black (I can see it) the smell is not coming from the bathroom or the kitchen sink. It’s coming from the area under the shower or refrigerator best I can tell. I lifted the panel and could smell it bad from inside there. Don't see any water I also opened the small door that accesses the drain valves and such and could smell It but see no reason for the smell. What the heck could be back there????

I have no smell outside or under the coach. My gut is telling me it’s a problem in the shower drain but I have no idea what it would be. I sniffed the drain and it didn’t seem to smell but out by the bottom of the fridge. .. yuck. I see no evidence of water there whatsoever.

Where do I look now?

TIA,
Las Vegas, NV
LVChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #2

The sources that come to my mind...
- The P-traps under the drains are dry and letting grey tank smells into the unit. > Pour a cup of water into each drain and see if that helps.
- 'Air admittance valves' for the grey tank venting are letting are into the unit, but should not do that.> A valve should be visible some where in the grey water drain line; up under a sink is the usual place.
- The refrigerator drain line should direct water from defrosting into a pan behind the refrigerator. > If the line is misses the pan or the drain line is not there, water could be under the refrigerator. From your description of the odor, this isn't likely unless something else was spilled in the refrigerator and mixed with the drain water.

IMO, the Calgon/Dawn should not be part of the problem. Dry P-traps or a failing air admittance valve are the most likely reasons.

Hope that helps. Please let us know.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #3

You may have a rodent who has crawled inside a small space and expired. These will stink for quite a while until decomposition is complete. Does it smell more like rotting meat or raw sewage smell? They are fairly different smells and can help you narrow down the source.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #4

213 Smells

I would also check the void at the back of the trailer where the slide motor is and the void behind the couch where the water lines run (tilt couch to "V" position and look down behind back against the wall) for dead critters, insects or water leaks. The first time I checked those areas in our 213 I had to get a shop vac to clean out all the construction sawdust, shavings, and dead bugs that where in there. I ended up buying screens for the fridge, hot water, and furnace vents to keep the bugs out of the trailer after a couple of trips in stinkbug infested areas. My outside power plug would also leak dirty water into the area under the sink when towing in the rain. I ran a bead of rv caulk around the edge of the plug to solve that issue.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
- 'Air admittance valves' for the grey tank venting are letting are into the unit, but should not do that.> A valve should be visible some where in the grey water drain line; up under a sink is the usual place.

IMO, the Calgon/Dawn should not be part of the problem. Dry P-traps or a failing air admittance valve are the most likely reasons.
I have had my Air admittance valve stick open a few times, and yes it does cause a stink. If you are not familiar with them, look under your sinks. You will see a sewer pipe that comes up close to the counter, that looks as it is deadheaded with a spring.

The other spot I have had issues with is the P-trap for my shower. As we drive, sometimes the water sloshes out and down to the tank, leaving a void for the odor/gasses to escape. We now just keep a drain plug in the drain when not in use.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies.

I went out and looked again...still smells here is what I have checked:

Walked around the entire coach. Took a sniff at the fresh water fill, the black tank rinse, the vent behind the refrigerator. - No odors

Let a bit of water out of the low point drain. - No odor

Opened the door and it reaked. Checked the toilet water still in bowl.

Sniffed at the kitchen, bathtub, and bathroom sink drains. - No odor

The smell is definitely coming from here
(See pics)
Opened the access panel and it's bad.
Opened the small door and it smells bad.

I see nothing inside them...but I am sure something must be opened to either the gray or black tank back there. It does not smell like a decaying animal, it smells like sewer gas.

Are there schematics/drawings available to show me where the pipes/vents route?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4048.jpg   IMG_4044.jpg   IMG_4039.jpg  
Las Vegas, NV
Old 09-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #7

You can also take a look to the left of the furnace as well. With the power disconnected, take off the circuit breaker panel (I believe it is just 4 screws). There might be something in behind there.

Good luck!
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #8

Sounds like the air admittance valve located under the bathromm sink is the most likely suspect. Cool smelly air would settle right into the void under the shower and flow along the void behind the furnace & couch to rear of trailer.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #9

Smells like a dead critter to me!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Sounds like the air admittance valve located under the bathromm sink is the most likely suspect. Cool smelly air would settle right into the void under the shower and flow along the void behind the furnace & couch to rear of trailer.
So far I think this makes the most sense. However I looked all over under the sink and as far as I could see through the void....I can't find an AAV anywhere. I'll keep looking and maybe ask Jayco for some knowledge.
Las Vegas, NV
Old 09-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #11

It's hard to see. Get right down on the floor and look up under the left or tub side of the sink with a flashlight, it is right up under the counter top
Old 09-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #12

Is this it? How do you get it off?
Attached Thumbnails
ABB2EBE4-0585-4215-B776-3D9330802145.jpg  
Old 09-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #13

So I am feeling a little foolish...after reading several hundred posts and watching a plethora of youtube video's I think I may have figured out the problem.

We have never treated our grey tank.

Always treated the black, but just didn't ever consider what was in the grey. I believe we have some rotting food particles, toothpaste, shampoo, etc....and we have done nothing to stop it from smelling short of dumping it.

The internet seems to think Happy Camper is the solution. I will pick some up and try that before I attempt to remove my AAV.

I'll let ya know how it works out.

Thanks everyone,
Las Vegas, NV
Old 09-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #14

Got the Happy Camper delivered on Saturday. Followed the instructions by mixing one scoop into a gallon of water, poured it down my kitchen sink drain then followed it with two gallons more of water. Went out there this morning and ….drumroll....NO SMELL YES!!!!

Lesson learned, will be treating my grey tank from now on, thanks everyone.
Las Vegas, NV
Old 09-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVChris View Post
Got the Happy Camper delivered on Saturday. Followed the instructions by mixing one scoop into a gallon of water, poured it down my kitchen sink drain then followed it with two gallons more of water. Went out there this morning and ….drumroll....NO SMELL YES!!!!

Thank you for updating the thread!!

I've got some Happy Camper in my shopping cart, going to have it sent next time I make an order!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVChris View Post

Thank you! We've been careful not to get food particles or hair in the grey tank, but still have had bad smells from it occasionally.

I've wondered about products to add to the tanks. There are many to choose from, but never bought one of them. Thanks to your unsolicited endorsement of 'Happy Camper', we will be buying some of that!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote