Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #1

Yellowstone on the cheap, big rig, no reservations

Ok, we just did a 2 week trip to Yellowstone. We have a pretty big 32 foot trailer, and no reservations. It worked out very well for us, and incredibly cheap. If you are interested, this is how it played out.

We began our trip at the north entrance. We knew if we wanted to stay at Mammoth Campground, we had to arrive on a weekday and early. So we camped 20 miles north of Mammoth for one night at the Carbella Recreation Area. Right on the river, BLM land, so its free, and big rig friendly.

The next day, Monday, we woke up early and arrived at Mammoth by 8:30 a.m. Three cars/trailers in front of us already waiting, but no problem getting a nice pull through. The campground filled up around 10:45. It is dry camping, 20 bucks a night.

After four nights we moved to West Yellowstone. We stayed at Bakers Hole Campground, around 3 miles north of town. Beautiful, right on the river, big rig friendly. With electric it is $23, without electric, $17. Arrive early if you want electric. We dumped at the Grizzley Campground in West Yellowstone. I think they want 92 bucks there for a full hookup pull through. I think that's a lot of money to be packed in like a sardine.

After 5 days we traveled east and camped just outside the east entrance at Three Mile campground. No problem getting a spot, big rig friendly, and 15 bucks at night. Spent three nights there.

Now, friends, this is dry camping, there are no hookups (although there was electric at Bakers Hole). But we have a generator, and solar, and are self contained. I know that dry camping is not for everyone, but I recommend you try it. I know you all like saving money!

However you camp, please enjoy.

Ensign
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

Sounds like the camping we like to do. I'm bookmarking this one for the future.

Thanks,

Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign View Post
Now, friends, this is dry camping, there are no hookups (although there was electric at Bakers Hole). But we have a generator, and solar, and are self contained. I know that dry camping is not for everyone, but I recommend you try it. I know you all like saving money!

However you camp, please enjoy.

Ensign
We aspire to camp more like you do but think we'll need to downsize our rig + 4x4 to access the really wonderful places. Thanks for sharing your Yellowstone experience.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote