Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #41

As a retailer of both Jayco and G.Design, and someone who's been to extensive on-site training, I can vouch that both mfgs go to great lengths to ensure a quality build. Customers ask me all the time, "as a person who sells both, which would you buy?" I honestly tell them, based on the quality, I can't decide,,,both are amazing! It boils down to the "warm fuzzies" you get from each unit. I can bore you to death with details on each. Don't be sold by the frivolous bells and whistles another mfg may add. Get down to the serious matter of construction, quality control-PDI, etc. Just my $.02 worth.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarlag View Post
As a retailer of both Jayco and G.Design, and someone who's been to extensive on-site training, I can vouch that both mfgs go to great lengths to ensure a quality build. Customers ask me all the time, "as a person who sells both, which would you buy?" I honestly tell them, based on the quality, I can't decide,,,both are amazing! It boils down to the "warm fuzzies" you get from each unit. I can bore you to death with details on each. Don't be sold by the frivolous bells and whistles another mfg may add. Get down to the serious matter of construction, quality control-PDI, etc. Just my $.02 worth.
Interesting thoughts from a dealer perspective.

I love my Jayco, despite having to fix numerous small things that were anything but a “quality build.”
I don’t know what they show or tell you in your training, but they do not go to even short lengths to ensure a “quality build.” Staples that are too short and miss the studs, wallpaper that comes up short, under-built bed frames that crack on normal use, loose wires, construction debris left inside cabinets and inside drain pipes etc are just a few examples. Garbage radios and speakers are not an example of going to great lengths to provide quality. Sorry, I didn’t get any “warm fuzzies” when my converter went belly up before our first trip, and the bed broke the first night.

As I said, I love my Jayco and felt like I got what I paid for and can fix the rest. Jayco may be better than most, but I would never praise them for diligence in ensuring a “quality build.” They go to great lengths to maximize profits, like all companies. Exceptional quality is a byproduct, if you are lucky.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarlag View Post
Well, unfortunately all I can say is that whoever is in charge of that must have been on vacation the week mine was built. Owned for two years, over 14 months of that time in the shop.. That said, much of that fiasco can be attributed to the dealer, but if it had been done correctly the first time...
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:03 AM   #44

Why is every exposed plywood edge un-touched, rough and raw?
5 minutes at the factory with a piece of sandpaper is too much?
The drawer edges, top and bottom. How did the prior owners not snag their clothes? Changing the sink water filter gave my arms multiple scratches (won’t happen again...) The cutouts for the heater hoses - tearing holes into the heater hoses.
PLEASE Jayco - slow down your assembly line 5 minutes!
Powdrhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #45

Jayco quality

We were not impressed with all the issues we had, numerous screws, pieces of electrical wires, cut outs of wood and sawdust everywhere.
Pete’s RV in Burlington Vermont also did a poor job of getting it ready for pick up.
We have also had to bring it back for a number of things, the slide would open when we went around a corner and close when we turned the other way.
The front AC stopped working when we were 1 month out of warranty and neither Petes or Jayco would help us out now we are facing a $2k bill to replace something we used maybe 30 times.
Super disappointed.
Brian
Bsenecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsenecal View Post
The front AC stopped working when we were 1 month out of warranty and neither Petes or Jayco would help us out now we are facing a $2k bill to replace something we used maybe 30 times.
Super disappointed.
Brian
I hear you and understand your disappointment. But I will mention that replacing an AC wasn't that bad. Our Coleman Mach 15 died. Apparently dying RV ACs are the new "thing that's in..."

Bought a direct replacement from Dyers. Shipped on a pallet. Hardest thing was getting it up on top. But I used a ladder, well extended, to make a ramp. Wife on the roof pulling, we walking up keeping it stable. Slid right up. Not bad at all.

Direct replacement made the hookup brainless. Total cost was $800 I think.

Sorry about your AC.
Been there, done that.

[ I've got $150 window units that are going on year 15... But 3 years out of a RV AC seems to be considered 'acceptable' by the manufacturer. ]
Old 10-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #47

Thanks so much for the info. Yes I plan to replace myself.
Our motor home was at Pete’s RV for over 13 weeks this year for several recalls and for them to troubleshoot the AC issues.
Was your replacement a heat pump model?
Brian
Bsenecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #48

I have a 19 321 RSTS and starting to see quality declining. For example, my membrane roof started off bubbling up in a few places during the factory warranty period. Dealer said it was normal on two separate occasions. Then those bubbles got so bad that part of the roof looked like a balloon driving down the highway. Took it to a RV repair shop and they said the membrane needs to be pulled up and re-glued. Went back to my dealer just a couple months outside of warranty and they say it is not covered on factory warranty because it is outside warranty period. They had the records of me having it in for the problem but dealer says problem has to be addressed during warranty period. I then advised them to repair under my extended warranty. Turns out, extended warranty covers everything but the roof. Long story short, i cancelled extended warranty, got a good chunk of money back. Spent couple hundred on material i need to do the job and my brother and i did it over Presidents day weekend. When i had the membrane off, you could see the factory did a terrible job spreading out the glue. The repair shop said they see this a lot and on al brands of RV's. Keep a close eye on your roof and if you see it bubbling up under your warranty period, fight hard with your dealer. Those small bubbles will become a problem.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsenecal View Post
Super disappointed.
Brian
Did you contact Coleman? Components are covered by the individual manufacturers when under warranty. JAYCO and your dealrer are just a go between.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #50

Since I bought my TT in 2016, Jayco quality has declined quite a bit. Seems like the last 2-3 years more.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:10 PM   #51

Too bad some of our issues occurred AFTER our manufacturer warranty expired. So far we are @$6,000 in repairs and counting. And these are repairs that should have been caught by the engineers before the unit was even built - such as the outriggers not being heavy/thick enough on the kitchen slide or the axles not being strong enough for these heavy units. We realize quite a few owners have had very few issues but some of us, it is costly. And we don't dare sale the unit because of these issues.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:34 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Since I bought my TT in 2016, Jayco quality has declined quite a bit. Seems like the last 2-3 years more.
Your 16 is going to be much more robust than these new models. They don't even come close to making them like they used to. The only things they learned from those good ole days to today is how to cut corners.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Too bad some of our issues occurred AFTER our manufacturer warranty expired. So far we are @$6,000 in repairs and counting. And these are repairs that should have been caught by the engineers before the unit was even built - such as the outriggers not being heavy/thick enough on the kitchen slide or the axles not being strong enough for these heavy units. We realize quite a few owners have had very few issues but some of us, it is costly. And we don't dare sale the unit because of these issues.
Most dealers, not going to say all, are good and crafty pushing their customers outside the warranty window as well. I highly recommend buyers to watch for problems in their warranty window and fight like hell to make sure they are addressed. Once they get you past your warranty you have no leg to stand on.. If you are a frequent buyer from a particular dealer, you may have a better chance.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:44 PM   #54

When I was deciding on a brand I went to the “owners forum” sites of those brands that are exactly like this one. There is ZERO difference in the amount of issue, complaints and problem solving across all owners forums. Buy from the right dealer and do a PDI checklist (search this site to find .pdf). I have a 2022 Jayco Micro 171bh and the finish quality is a 6/10, but I still love it warts and all.
JayLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #55
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Did you contact Coleman? Components are covered by the individual manufacturers when under warranty. JAYCO and your dealrer are just a go between.

What many new owners do not realize or research is that individual components in the RV such as the AC, fridge, stove, furnace, leveling system and the list goes on, are covered by the manufacturer and not the RV builder. The owner can go to any authorized Lippert, Coleman, Dometic repair service and have the warranty work done. Depending on the dealer or Jayco to take care of it is a major waste of time.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
What many new owners do not realize or research is that individual components in the RV such as the AC, fridge, stove, furnace, leveling system and the list goes on, are covered by the manufacturer and not the RV builder. The owner can go to any authorized Lippert, Coleman, Dometic repair service and have the warranty work done. Depending on the dealer or Jayco to take care of it is a major waste of time.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but when you have repairs done for individual components under warranty by another certified service center for those parts, don't you end up paying the labor portion of the repair? I've heard other people on forums make these comments
Old 10-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #57
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but when you have repairs done for individual components under warranty by another certified service center for those parts, don't you end up paying the labor portion of the repair? I've heard other people on forums make these comments

I never did. Check with the manufacturer before the repair. Simple process.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:08 PM   #58

Besides the 56 things that broke, were broken, some several times we love the paper covered particle board that when you brush against it the particle board smiles at you. Also, we love the trim that continues to fall from the ceiling. DW hates it and would just as soon stay home. Let's not forget the rat's nest of PEX and wiring that is impossible to trace. AND the furnace has to have the wall pulled and removed because Jayco was to cheap to install an exterior door for $35 retail. I bought one and found that it couldn't be installed because it would cause structural damage.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:19 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Interesting thoughts from a dealer perspective.

I love my Jayco, despite having to fix numerous small things that were anything but a “quality build.”
I don’t know what they show or tell you in your training, but they do not go to even short lengths to ensure a “quality build.” Staples that are too short and miss the studs, wallpaper that comes up short, under-built bed frames that crack on normal use, loose wires, construction debris left inside cabinets and inside drain pipes etc are just a few examples. Garbage radios and speakers are not an example of going to great lengths to provide quality. Sorry, I didn’t get any “warm fuzzies” when my converter went belly up before our first trip, and the bed broke the first night.

As I said, I love my Jayco and felt like I got what I paid for and can fix the rest. Jayco may be better than most, but I would never praise them for diligence in ensuring a “quality build.” They go to great lengths to maximize profits, like all companies. Exceptional quality is a byproduct, if you are lucky.
I’ve had a number of Jayco motorhomes. Quality is not a word i would use to describe any of them; especially the latter model year units. Functional? Yes. Quality? Maybe my 2015 was as close as I was going to get. That one had plenty of head scratchers too.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:36 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I have a 19 321 RSTS and starting to see quality declining. For example, my membrane roof started off bubbling up in a few places during the factory warranty period. Dealer said it was normal on two separate occasions. Then those bubbles got so bad that part of the roof looked like a balloon driving down the highway. Took it to a RV repair shop and they said the membrane needs to be pulled up and re-glued. Went back to my dealer just a couple months outside of warranty and they say it is not covered on factory warranty because it is outside warranty period. They had the records of me having it in for the problem but dealer says problem has to be addressed during warranty period. I then advised them to repair under my extended warranty. Turns out, extended warranty covers everything but the roof. Long story short, i cancelled extended warranty, got a good chunk of money back. Spent couple hundred on material i need to do the job and my brother and i did it over Presidents day weekend. When i had the membrane off, you could see the factory did a terrible job spreading out the glue. The repair shop said they see this a lot and on al brands of RV's. Keep a close eye on your roof and if you see it bubbling up under your warranty period, fight hard with your dealer. Those small bubbles will become a problem.

Factory did a terrible hob, really?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All the bottom of my cabinets are 1/4 luan, stapled, from underneath to 1/2 “ x 1/2” stock above! What a joke! So far all of my cabinet bottoms collapsed! I had to use 1/2 ply wood to reinforce and put the support wher it belongs, UNDER THE PANELS!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote