Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Your RV Garage?

With the camping season closing for too many of us, the issues of covering (or not), antifreeze or air....abound!

But, if money weren't an issue what would your place to keep your RV ready-to-roll year round be like?

I would love to have an insulated building that would be big enough for a Diesel pusher. Roll-up doors on both ends (on backing). Kept heated above 40F. City water and shore power inside the building. Sewer connection outside (odor issues). Ok the RV has to be moved to dump tanks.

That'll allow me to play with my toy all winter!

Anyone else have an RV garage dream?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

I'd be totally happy if I just had the setup Norty1 has, but a fully enclosed / heated / stocked wet-bar / big screen TV multi level shop / garage with enough space for all my toy needs for the next 40 years would certainly be a step up.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

Actually, you have hit the nail right on the head with this one. My DW and I have talked about this doing this very thing. Our normal two car garage attached to our house is fully insulated and heated. We originally started the planning to expand/add on to that garage to make a storage/toy bay where I can park the flat bed/tilt trailer and snow machine and provide a work space for mechanicing and woodworking. We have since revised that plan and are looking at expanding it to a larger two bay with room to park the TT (or a large class A) inside with slides open. We also want to add a half bath to this garage expansion, in order to do this we will need to tap into the sewer connection. as long as we are doing that, we may have to put a sewer line clean out part way along the floor of the garage (that may just happen to line up with the RV tank dump location). Since it is an expansion of the existing garage, it will, of course, be heated and insulated.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #4

Before an RV was even a thought I built a 34W x 34D garage. I have a 2 post lift in one bay, a 54 Ford convertible that's been in my family since it was new in another and my truck in the 3rd. My issue is I only went with 9 foot high doors because of a ridiculous town code height restriction. I am pretty well equipped for a home shop. Air compressor, torches, welder etc.

My biggest regrets, are no running water and not planning for large vehicle access / storage.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
Site Team

Mother nature provides me with an ideal resting place for the EAGLE over those months where Florida suffers from an absence of HEAT and moisture (< 80 degrees).

We are a couple hundred yards from the gulf so it pretty much never freezes... last freeze was for 2 hours 4 years ago, according to my weather station. The EAGLE sits next to the house. At times, I do have to start my day with a pair of long pants in the early morning hours and WINTER tee-shirt (has sleeves), before switching to shorts and summer tee-shirt (you guessed it... no sleeves) by 10 am. Sure do miss the Northern Illinois/Wisconsin winters, NOT!!!!

The SOLAR keeps the fans running during the day to circulate the air each day, the Tv is on in the background while I am adding electrical outlets on the counter by the sink and one near the floor... inverter humming along in the background. I got tired of the stupid 110VAC outlet on the bottom of the hanging cabinets, that is the current project I am working on.

Just finished winterizing the EAGLE! I raised the ceiling exhaust fans thermostats up a couple degrees (my winter setting).

It is a tough LIFE but someone has to do it!!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:41 PM   #6

Fortunately I live in the southwest and am able to RV year round. No need to winterize! Unfortunately, in the summer time the sun just eats away at the outside of RVs. After watching our RVs of the past deteriorate we decided we would build a cover for the next one. Well we bought this rig in November 2015. We were able to get the RV awning done this past August! Yahoo! A 30 foot wide and 50 foot deep, open on both ends, 17 foot high sloping to 16 feet (keep any rain running away from house). The high side is next to the house and drops down about 7 feet. Plenty of walking space to the side garage door. The lower side (West-that gets the afternoon sun) comes down about 12 feet to keep the sun off the trailer. I am able to park my tow vehicle and another flat bed trailer underneath this "car port". It is awesome having al that shade out there! I can reach a 30 amp plug with an extension cord so I have power. Next summer I want to install a 50amp power pedestal closer to the trailer. Dreams do come true!
Old 10-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #7

When the time comes for us to sell this house to downsize, I would love to find something with an RV garage. As mentioned in the previous post, the desert summers can be tough on an RV. At the very least, I would like to be able to park the TT next to the house so that I can tinker with it more often.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Mother nature provides me with an ideal resting place for the EAGLE over those months where Florida suffers from an absence of HEAT and moisture (< 80 degrees).

We are a couple hundred yards from the gulf so it pretty much never freezes... last freeze was for 2 hours 4 years ago, according to my weather station. The EAGLE sits next to the house. At times, I do have to start my day with a pair of long pants in the early morning hours and WINTER tee-shirt (has sleeves), before switching to shorts and summer tee-shirt (you guessed it... no sleeves) by 10 am. Sure do miss the Northern Illinois/Wisconsin winters, NOT!!!!

The SOLAR keeps the fans running during the day to circulate the air each day, the Tv is on in the background while I am adding electrical outlets on the counter by the sink and one near the floor... inverter humming along in the background. I got tired of the stupid 110VAC outlet on the bottom of the hanging cabinets, that is the current project I am working on.

Just finished winterizing the EAGLE! I raised the ceiling exhaust fans thermostats up a couple degrees (my winter setting).

It is a tough LIFE but someone has to do it!!!

Don
Me too!!!
I agree with you Don 110%.........Same conditions for me.

Jack
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:13 PM   #9

We have a 24 x 40 X 16 high metal building with an open front, closed on three sides. The fifth wheel sits in that.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Me too!!!
I agree with you Don 110%.........Same conditions for me.

Jack
X3 on this! This winterizing stuff is amazing to me!

I sell real estate in Central Florida. I just listed your dream garage - just what you guys would like - a motorhome garage that comes with a home on 3 1/2 acres on a beautiful lake. It is 31x45 (use to house the Wanderlodge). Forget the winterizing and move to Florida! I can hook you up! LOL (btw this is not meant to be advertising just fit with the thread )

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #11

Sure makes tinkering outside more enjoyable
Old 10-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #12

Here's what we have. I guess a dream come true. Built in 2002 and upgraded several times (Recent face lift to apartment this year), this is our 6000 s/f dream shop for the most part. Comes complete with apartment, wood shop, welding shop (added a few years ago), RV bay etc. etc. Most of these are older pictures, but plug the jayco in where the Mobile Scout is, and that's it. Those that know of this ultimate man cave / shop, know how all the mods are done to the Jayco and others now. RV bay is complete with water, sewer, 50 / 30 amp electrical.
Attached Thumbnails
87.jpg   92.jpg   IMG_6899.jpg   Shop Floorplan.jpg  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #13

Very nice!!

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #14

When I built my 40x40 shop 17 years ago, I had no idea that I would ever own an RV. My roll-up doors are only 12 feet high. It's not practical to modify this building to accommodate our fifth wheel. It currently sits in the driveway in front of shop. It eats up a huge chunk of driveway and blocks one of my shop's roll-up doors.

I'd like to pour a slab and put a carport (perhaps 24x40 or 30x40) beside the shop. That would be big enough to park the fifth wheel on one side and both of my trucks on the other side. That would keep my fifth wheel out of the sun and the rain, protect both of my trucks from hail, give me all of my shop back, full access to my shop, and all of my driveway back.

That project would probably be 20 or 30 grand, and I just don't have it to spend right now.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #15

We moved into our new place a couple years ago. Inner-city house with two detached garages. We have been talking about adding a machine shed style addition to the large garage (3 bay, two story), to put the HTT under. If we do it, I’ll make sure to have enough power and door height for a reasonable size RV. There would not be enough room for a 30+ foot unit.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #16

I have an 18 X 40 RV carport on the West end of my house with the South and West sides fully sheeted, also have an RV power box there with 50/30/20 amp plugs in it and the MH stays plugged in, that's where my MH stays during the camping season when we're not camping. In 2002 I had a 42 X 80 Morton Building built with no intentions of owning an RV, but had 12 X 12 doors put inat both ends, my 36' Monaco (bought 2 years ago) would fit in the front door if I took the door opener arm off and pushed the door up past the header and "C" clamped it up so the A/C's on top would clear, that's where my MH stays in the off season. Shop is insulated but not heated but a 150,000 BTU propane space heater will heat it up pretty comfortably in a few minutes where I can work in there with a long sleeve shirt on. We down sized to a Jayco Greyhawk 29MV this summer so I haven't tried getting it in the shop yet but I am pretty sure it will fit. I have a 50 amp RV plug in the shop as well. I guess you could say my shop is truly an RV shop as I did build an experimental airplane in it, you guessed it, it's an RV9A, fun toy.
mralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #17
Site Team

I don't want the world and am pretty happy with my sheds but I wish I could have placed them in a position that I could pull thru it and not have to back in. It's just getting to be to much trouble to keep the yard trimmed high.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #18

I agree with norty. My biggest regret is not making it a pull through. Too late now and I'll deal with it. Don't have the money anymore to do another or modify this one to that extreme.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #19

I'm grateful to have a 31 foot long, 18 foot wide carport in my backyard to store my camper. Don't have the room or money for an elaborate setup like the OP mentioned. If I could afford that kind of setup, I'd likely spend that money traveling instead of storing it during the winter months!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #20
Site Team

I have read some articles of the setup provided up in North Dakota for the oil field workers that winter up there while working. Completely inside.
http://ndindoorrvpark.com/

I would not want to go to work!

I think that may have calmed down lately with the oil prices but not sure.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote