Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #1

1st Time RV Owner Needs Advice on PDI

After years of waiting we are picking up our 2014 Jayco 31FS in a couple of weeks. My wife and I are trying to figure out what we should plan on for the walkthrough/inspection at pickup. I have read everything from taking 4 hours and checking every seam to just getting an overview of the systems operations. Does anyone have any recommendations specific to the Jayco brand?

Thanks,
ric crowder, dds
toothdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

Congratulations on your 1st TT.

Being you’re fist time buyer. Make sure to take your time, bring a note book write down a few notes. ASK lots of questions. You will not remember everything. Our dealer did a pretty good pre-checking everything out in advance, so I was comfortable that everything worked. The only thing we did not check during our PDI was the hot water heater. This is a good time to ask about changing a tire to cleaning the roof. Our Service department was great, to call and ask question. If you live relatively close to the dealer and you can drop it off if something does not work right, maybe a little less time is needed, but if you have to travel a long distance then spend enough time. If you are buying a WDH from the dealer watch them set it up and ask questions as you may have to tweek the setup once you have the TT loaded.

The PDIs typically happen after you sign the paperwork. Personally, I would contact the dealer in advance a request a pre walk through (5-10 minutes) just to make sure you do not see some kind of damage (water leaks primarily), and to make sure the unit has the interior, and options you request. Once you sign the paperwork the unit is YOURS.

Best of luck, wish I could get ours out of hibernation.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #3

Excellent advise Jagiven! The pre-walk through is a very good idea. Don't want to find out you have the wrong color couch after all the paperwork is signed. My advise for the first-time RV'er is to tell the person doing your walk through that you're brand new to camping and take your time. Test everything in the trailer. For example, I discovered on our "shake-down" trip that the dvd player's video output was never plugged in behind the unit. I'd get sound, but no picture. Make sure your jacks work, windows slide like they should, doors open and close correctly, AC blows cold and heat blows hot. I also recommend testing the plumbing system as well. On our trailer, there was an issue with the black tank flush that we didn't discover until we were camping. We had to tow it back the 50 miles to the dealer for the fix. Basically, if you leave the lot uncomfortable about something, that's not good.

But don't let me make you nervous, this shouldn't be a nerve-wracking process. Just take your time and make sure you understand how everything works. You'll have a lot of fun with it, I'm sure. Welcome to the group - you'll also want to read through the forums, there's a lot of very handy info here! Sounds like it'll be a great summer for you!

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #4

Ric,
Tons of great advice so far. Plus one on taking your time and taking notes.
I would add that as he demonstrates that you follow it up and also accomplish the task. Such as; slides, awnings, jacks, WDH (will need adjustment once loaded), water heater, jacks and so forth... DONT LET THEM RUSH YOU!!!
Also ask about all the maintenance you will need to preform.
I would also recommend reading the owners manual before your PDI/walkthrough
You can download one from the Jayco web site.
Also look the site here, there is a ton of great info

Welcome to the site and Congrats on the new TT
You can always get free help on this site

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #5

Congratulations on the new TT. This is a great thread for us too as we'll be taking delivery of our first TT in a couple of months. Besides lots of notes, one of the other things we're planning to do is video the inspection/walkthrough. It may be a little awkward, but we also want to make sure we get it right...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

Once you are done with the PDI you may ask if you can call the service tech with any questions you may have after you bring it home. Our tech offered this and I did call him on a couple items that I needed clarification on (because there is so much to take in). It was a big help.
Good luck and congrats!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #7

Our dealer recommended bringing a camcorder and didn't rush the PDI and walk-thru. There are some items we didn't go over (water heater as mentioned) and water pump but those can be tested later...you have a 2 year warranty so don't worry if you find something minor a few months later. Our tech understood we were first time TT owners and was very detailed and took his time in the walk-thru. All of the operational and set-up/break-down details will seem overwhelming at first but after several trips, it will seem like second nature. Ask questions here and if possible, find someone in your area or at a CG with a TT like yours and ask questions...that helped me out with specifics about my unit.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #8

Toothdr, congrats on your purchase! Congrats and welcome to JOF. You have lots of great advice already.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #9

If you are going to video the session maybe have a 3rd person as cinematographer so you can both pay attention and take separate pictures of any deficiencies so you will have a before and after repair/adjustment reference. It doesn't matter how well you pay attention you may still notice something later. Good luck and have fun!
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Welcome to JOF!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #11

Great advice from everyone! I would add that you make sure to write down step by step how to hitch/unhitch with your WD hitch. It might look easy & simple, but there's several steps involved, all of them critical & all of them must be done in correct sequence. Also, make sure they show you how to roll up your awning manually (should you lose power or in the unlikely event that your awning motor stops working. Also make sure you write down what each of the switches in your switch box control. Also have them go over how to remove a tire. If there is no jack/lug wrench with the trailer, have them tell you what size lug wrench you need to buy. Once you have the trailer & leave the lot, stop someplace & practice unhitching, taking pictures with your phone of how everything looks all hooked up. Make sure you chock the wheels & have a block of wood to put under the trailer jack before you start. Good luck & enjoy your trailer! It really does get easier & you'll get quicker at doing things as time goes on. Like anything else, repetition is the key.

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #12

Make sure the dealer shows you that ALL the appliances work in all modes of operation.
Make sure the furnace and air conditioner work.
Ensure the refridgerator and water heater function in both electric and gas modes.

The water heater in my 2013 Eagle 284BHS was installed sitting on its own gas supply line, in effect choking off it's own supply of gas. It was clearly a case of sloppy work during production. I had to return to the dealer to get it fixed, about 90 miles each way. Jayco refused to compensate me in any way for my cost in pulling the trailer back to the dealer to get the production flaw fixed.

So save yourself similar grief and expense and make sure the dealer demonstrates everything works in your presence during the delivery walk through.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #13

Wed have an agreement with our dealer (80 miles away) that he'll order the White Hawk 23MRB we want, but we don't have to commit to buying it till it comes in and we take a look at it to make sure it's what we want. Our plan is to take our PDI list with us when we go for the first look, and do a sort of pre-PDI, and then, assuming we do want the unit, set up an appointment for the real PDI.

We may not know till it comes and and we see it for the first time exactly how much it will cost, and even if we do have a starting figure, we won't know till they see our PUP what they'll give us for the trade-in, so it won't be possible to have a contract or a cashier's check ready to go - not to mention that we'll want to think about whether it makes better financial sense to finance and take the interest off our taxes.

We sure will be ready for this, thanks to all the advice and experience y'all have shared on the Forum, and we think doing a "PPDI" will help us when we go through it a second time.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote