Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #1

1st time RV purchase...D-Day, Chattanooga TN

Greetings to all.
Just signed up for the JOF in anticipation of pulling the trigger on a purchase today. I am very interested in the Jay Flight 22FB and with the RV show in town, the prices look pretty good. I have done a fair amount of research and from what I can see, the Jayco product offers the best bang for the buck.
There is a very strong chance that I might even go the full time route with this unit...that is a decision for another day, but I am leaning that way (currently an apartment dweller). Due to my choice of careers (over the road commercial truck driver), I am out 5-6 days of the week, and I think coming home to a camper in a nice location would be an improvement over the apartment I have been in for nearly 14 years. As for space, I am not overly concerned, because the camper is a mansion compared to the truck I 'live' in when on the road.

So, am anticipating adding the following to my signature line later today...:
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB
2012 Nissan Titan S KC

Mike Mallon
'Hollywood'
Hixson, TN
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

My daughter has a 22FB and she loves it. For 1 or 2 people I think it is roomier than the 26BH we have. The nice part is the large bathroom. I like your idea of full-timing in the camper. In your case, buy a nice piece of property, lay down a concrete pad for the camper, do septic and a water supply and a small garage for the lawn mower and tools. No more rent to the landlord.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #3

I actually looked at a 26BH the dealer had...a 2012 leftover...however I decided the 22FB was more to my liking. reasons...1) the 26BH at max GVW exceeds my tow rating (22 GVW is 1000 lbs less), 2) I don't need the bunks, and 3) I like the bathroom layout better in the 22.
If I do the full timing thing, I will be trying it out in a campground that allows long term stays. not ready to pull the trigger on a piece of property yet.

Mike
prospective 22FB owner
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #4

If I looked at the correct layout & pictures...there appears to be no slide out which could work in your benefit. I have a friend who has a camper with a cover that he bought aftermarket. The cover has a zippered door where the camper door is that allows him to enter & exit freely without removing the cover. My thinking here is that you could own the camper for several years without taking my environmental damage what so ever. Granted some rev owners have complained abut the cover rubbing on the camper but if properp tie down and placement were followed you could use a camper for years and be able to resell with no sun damage or black spots. Granted you would lose use of your awning but again another possible win for you as no awning damage.
Probably a extreme idea but I just thought I would throw it out there. Good luck with things !!!
Sherman ( the Pomeranian ) he runs the show!!!
2006 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS
2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. aka The RED Tundra !!!!
oejeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #5

We looked at the 22fb before we bought our 228 hollllywood, but didn't like the idea of having no pantry. I found the dinnette area a little tight for my size (tall). It's all about trade off sometimes as our bathroom is a little smaller. We settled on the 228 and did'nt realize how handy the bunks are for clothes storage. We each have our bunk with all the clothes stacked up. These are some of the things to consider but might not be an issue for you. That unit is still for sale a year later.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Welcome to the JOF Mike! We aren't full-timers either but spend significant chunks traveling the US (just headed out for a 7 week trip). Enjoy life outside of the apartment and in the new tt!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #7

Welcome to the JOF and congrats on the possible new TT!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #9

well I pulled the trigger. wrote the down payment check. due to my schedule, I should be taking delivery after my next 'road tour', hopefully next weekend.
I can all but promise that I will be on here asking a gazillion questions as I work the kinks out as a newbie to RV ownership. will be making the full time decision in a month or two..am optimistic as far as choosing the right RV that was within my budget.

will be talking to a lot of you later I am sure.

Mike 'Hollywood'
new owner of a 2013 JayFlight 22FB
TV is a 2012 Nissan Titan KingCab
Old 03-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #10

Congratulations mike, let the fun begin.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #11

Re: 1st time RV purchase...D-Day, Chattanooga TN

Congrats Hollywood. Now you'll be daydreaming about the new TT all week!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #12

already dreamin'. the RV park I am considering long-terming in is right on the banks of the TN River...something nice to come home to instead of this boring apartment.

2013 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB
2012 Nissan Titan S King Cab 2.93 rears