Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #1

2019 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW from CO

First, thanks for all the info on this site. I’ve been lurking here and looking to get a new TT since August. We sold our Laredo TT two years ago and we’ve been itching to get back in the game ever since. My wife and 12 year old daughter wanted the Grand Design Imagine 2800BH and my 10 year old son and I wanted the 267BHSW. The GD seemed like a great product, but at the end of the day our wallet liked this price point (plus my wife doesn’t care about any of this half as much as me!).

The RV industry in CO is absolutely on fire. The prices are through the roof for new and used models. In my two years of thinking about camping I found ONE deal on a used TT on Craigslist and the guy had 20 people lined up to buy it on the first day. People get stuck paying the dealer top dollar and then when they want to get out they just assume somebody will pay what they owe on the note.

On our first TT I went back to OH and saved over $10,000 by purchasing through a big wholesaler closer to the factory. I’ve heard all the horror stories, but our buying experience was awesome and no doubt worth the savings. Since I wanted the SLX267BHSW with Rocky Mountain and Baja packages I began searching north and west of CO to get closer to the factory. Long story short we just made the internet deal out of Salt Lake after months of me “checking in” every few weeks with a couple of dealers.

We are really excited to take possession (hopefully I can cruise out there before Christmas). I’m happy we stayed right at 30’ because I hope to continue our history of hitting a lot of National Parks out west. This one is a few hundred pounds heavier than our previous TT, but we should be fine with our tow vehicle. We went up and down every pass out here last time with no issues (I’m the take it safe and easy type—but if you guys want to start a collection I’ll take the F450 Dually please!).

If anyone has any experience with this trailer please let us know your thoughts both pro and con. I love to learn and this site has been an excellent tool. Also, please let me know your thoughts about the Rocky Mountain and Baja packages. There were tons of trailers with one or the other, but only a few with both and I wanted it all ( I think, ha.). Once again thank you guys for all the info.

2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4L
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats
Old 12-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Welcome and Congrats from Ohio!

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

Congratulations and welcome!
Old 12-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #6

Thanks

Thank you all for the kind words. We can’t wait to go camping!

Old 12-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #7

Welcome from Alabama.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #8

Congratulations on the new JayFlight and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #9

Welcome to the Forum, and back into the RV thing. I have a 2018 267BHSW that I bought last February. I got quotes from a couple wholesalers and was able to cut a deal with the nearest dealer from me up here in Northern CO, and got within a couple g's of what it would have cost me for one that would have required a drive either to Iowa or Indiana, so I paid a bit more than the wholesaler alternatives, but I felt it was good to buy local and hopefully get a bit better "priority" status for warranty and other service work. Not sure if it actually made a difference or not, but I believe it did.

I like the trailer's features, great inside room capacity with the double slide, etc., and have had no problems towing it with my F150. We did a family (3 of us) trip to Tetons & Yellowstone this summer and had a good time, no bad surprises, and I even had to tow in some fierce crosswind gusts in WY on the way back and had no sway events that gave me concern.

We have had a number of warranty issues, FYI. Listed here:

No enclosed underbelly even though trailer had "Thermal Package" sticker. You probably won't have any possibility of running into this issue since you're getting the RM package, but, in my case, when I noted this to the dealer a few days after pulling it home, they ended up swapping the trailer with another one that had the entire Thermal Package, plus a couple other options I didn't have with the first one (grill, ladder), so I was happy with how they handled it.

Slide noise - loud popping sound during operation. I regretted not operating the slide in and out fully when I did my PDI. I recommend you run it in and out a couple times at least to check for any noises. They fixed this problem right away, but I had to take it back to the dealer (for me it's about 15 miles).

Radio - no A.M. station reception. Not a very big deal but they're still working on this problem as we speak, have worked on it 3 or 4 times now (when in for other warranty stuff), they tell me they're installing an "antenna booster". If you care about this issue, better check the radio against what stations you can receive in your tow vehicle.

Water Heater - it's a gas-only with electronic ignition, the igniter quit working suddenly, required a new controller board. This is a very common problem with the Atwood water heaters, lots of discussion on this forum about it.

Refrigerator would not re-light when on gas operation at higher altitudes. You probably won't find out if you have this problem until you camp up higher. Here's a link to the resolution I discovered after dealer couldn't find anything wrong (because they're at 5000' or less like where I live): https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ved-58063.html

Stove exhaust fan quit working - this required a new "diode", they told me. Took two trips to the dealer for this as they had to order the part.

Roof construction defect - this has probably been the biggest issue for me. I understand that, after a fair bit of negotiation with Jayco (dealer stuck up for me very well), it has now been repaired and so am waiting to go check it out as soon as they fix (or once again inaccurately claim to have fixed . . .) the radio again. Here's a link to the whole story on that matter:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ane-61233.html

Something to maybe prepare yourself for is what appears to be a common theme with many dealers as I understand it (and maybe Camping World in general??), which is that they most often have to order parts after they analyse a warranty issue, which takes another couple weeks for some strange reason, so you can find you have to leave the rig at the dealer for a lot longer than you planned, or you have to go get it for a camping trip, get along without the thing fixed that you took it in for, and then take it back in again when they call and tell you the part's in. Water heater, radio, exhaust fan all have required more than one trip to the dealer to leave the TT there . . .

Anyway, sorry for the volume of verbage here, but figured you might find something here that's worth checking when you do your PDI soon. I would sure recommend going up on the roof and checking for the "too high metal siding edges under the roof membrane" before taking possession.

Good luck and good camping!
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #10

Tony,
I'm picking up my 264 BHW baja western edition here in SOCAL on Wednesday. Let me know if you come across anything that you maybe didn't think of before you bought yours and I'll share info as I go along. Special tools, gear etc..
Thanks for sharing
Luke
lukethedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #11

What hitch are you using? Is the dealership planning on setting it up for you?
Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #12

Hitch

Ha, of course CW thought they were going to get me on the hitch and the awesome, awesome, awesome sealant that protects the inside and out for years and years! Nope. I’m waiting for my Andersen No Sway to get here from Amazon and then I’m leaving for Salt Lake on Thursday. I scheduled the first PDI appointment on Friday morning instead of rushing out there and getting the last one on Thursday afternoon. I used the Andersen on my last trailer and it worked really well. It is lightweight and really easy to use. I’m bringing the usual bag o’ tools plus torque wrench and my Porter Cable 1.5 compressor.