Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #1

2021 JayFeather 18BMR New Owner

Hi Jayco Owners,

My wife and I just recently purchased a new 2021 Jayfeather 18BRM. There are only a handful of dealers in the Southern California area and supplies are limited so we are happy to find one. Each time I had a question or looked something up on google i would find a JO.com response that fit the bill. I figured i would join in on the fun.

Cheers!
CJ
cjdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #2

Jayfeather 18RBM
Old 07-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State! Congratulations on the new Jayfeather! We're glad you're here!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your 2021 Jayfeather 18RBM.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:06 AM   #5

Super! Glad you were able to get one. Welcome from SW Michigan!
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:28 PM   #6

CJ: I bought mine back in august and am working out the kinks. I just posted the following for someone considering purchasing one, but it may apply to you also, particularly if you have the three step Mor-ryde steps installed vs the two step system (hint: the three step system is the wrong size for the 18RBM, it should be the two step system).

I just bought a 2021 18RBM. This is my second TT, so I have some experience. Pros: quality is nice, appliances are nice (Furrion). Mine has the JAYCOMMAND system in it (which I like and don’t at the same time). It pulls great compared to my single axle that I traded in. Murphy bed is nice. Cons: It only sleeps 2-3, only two comfortably (the dinette is 5’7” long, so it’s meant for littler people). The auto awning requires AC power (I confirmed that plugging in an inverter to the battery and then plugging the RV into that inverter was enough to get it to work, so boondocking is still possible). Although the 12v appliances/lights work on battery power, there are no usb or 12v outlets to change your devices while only on battery power. I’ll be installing those soon, but it’s a little annoying that Jayco seemed to have overlooked what customers want/need when boondocking. The backup camera on my particular model is only wired to receive power from the running lights, which means that I can’t use my $500 Furrion camera & monitor as a security camera. When I spoke with Jayco, the diagram they sent me indicated that there should have been another wire, but I definitely didn’t see one. HERES A BIG ONE: The wrong entry steps were installed! Jayco has been using the newly designed steps (brand: Mor-ryde) that store inside the door, and fold out with adjustable feet for in level ground. Before I left the lot I couldn’t seem to close the door with the steps down. I realized that throughout the selling process that I never saw the door closed while the steps were down. So before I left, one of the sales people insisted that it was a matter of finding level ground. I reluctantly left, only to discover that it wasn’t a ground issue... Jayco was installing the three step system designed for much higher threshold heights instead of the two step system recommended by the manufacturer (per the Mor-ryde fitment guide). I drove it right back the next day and said it wasn’t leaving the dealership until it had the two step system installed, whether or not I had to pay for it. They ended up putting in the two step system that day for free. Now about JAYCOMMAND (the BM Pro type): it’s awesome when you’re not worried about electricity, but I discovered that it’s wired to the hot battery and is still powered, even with the battery disconnect key removed, which defeats the whole purpose of a battery disconnect! I’ll either be altering the wiring so the disconnect works like it should, or installing another battery disconnect near the batteries (I also installed a second battery in parallel). Most dealer websites that I’ve seen have 18RBMs that don’t have the JAYCOMMAND, so you won’t really have to worry about that. However, most of them do have the three step system, so if you check one out in person, be sure to close the door with the steps down, and do t let them tell you you can’t close it because it’s not on level ground. You will often be camping on ground that may not be level, which is why these have adjustable feet, however they have to be lowered enough to allow the door to close (look closely at the pictures.. the door will either be open, or they had to position the RV in a way that the doors could close).
DBC130JPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #7

Welcome from northeast Illinois.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #8

Hi I’m trying to get Jayco to change my step to a two step and they are saying it’s not covered. I mentioned you having yours done. They asked if i can supply them the last 8 of your vin they can see what they did on your end.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #9

2 step system

I don’t know if the dealership filed anything with JAYCO, but the dealership didn’t charge me (giving them a brand new 3 step in exchange for a brand new 2 step wasn’t a bad deal for them. The last 8 are M1JV 0078.

Do you have any 12v outlets in your 18 RBM.. as in if you were only on battery power, could you charge your phone? I installed a second 12V battery and a USB and 12v outlet so that I can dry camp and charge my phone and use a 12v outlet
Old 11-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #10

Just keep being the squeaky wheel and emphasize that the three step system is only for higher deck heights than the 18 RBM.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #11

12v addition

I added a battery readout with high speed charger a 12v Outlet, and a switch to prevent drain. I got it from Amazon as a kit. I just had to buy 14 gauge wire to connect it to the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
B5A4232F-9275-4356-817E-46DD15CF873B.jpeg   045EC7FB-200D-4130-8765-8DB1390E9EEB.jpg