Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #1

Question 28BHBE Fresh Water Tank Leak

Hello!

My husband and I have purchased a 2016 28BHBE Jayco Jayflight. We bought it in July of this year. W LOVE the floor plan, and over all it appears to be well made, we are happy with our decision, but have one issue. Since purchasing it approximately 3 month's ago, we have been on 2 weekend trips. Our first was over Labor Day weekend. Our unit has the 80 gallon fresh tank system. We left our home with 80 gallons of fresh water, after reaching our destination (approximately 1 1/2 hours away) we leveled out and set up camp, when I went in to use the restroom for the first time, I noticed that we had water coming from UNDER the tub enclosure, when we checked our fresh water guage, we were down to 2/3's of a tank. We continued to loose fresh water the rest of the trip, placing towels on the floor to sop up the water. We never saw water leaking from under the trailer.

When we returned home from the holiday weekend, I was able to get our trailer in for service, as we had our second trip scheduled and paid for, and it was for later in September. Needless to say, they misunderstood our issue, and the water leak was not fixed. So again, we had massive water loss when we went on our second trip to Bodega Bay, CA. Again we left with "full" tanks (80 gallons of water), and by the next moring we were down to 1/3 of a tank . Again, I was able to get our trailer in right away, as I feared MAJOR water damage to my unit.

The service tech asked us if when we left for our trip if we had "filled" the tank? We said yes, he said that was the problem, that while we were driving the water "sloshed" out . He suggested we only fill it about 1/3 and then finish filling it when we reach our destination. I asked him what does he suggest if a family "Dry" camped, and there was no water available when we reached our destination? He stated you should try to fill the tank at the last town prior to reaching your destination , um..... ok.

You can not tell me that within a 2 hour drive we would loose approximately 60 gallons of water, that is a POOR design if this is infact correct. They did locate a leak behind the shower from the cold fresh water connection, so they double clamped that to fix it.

Has any one else had major water loss from their fresh water tank? Any suggestions? Can it be possible to loose that much water driving down the road?

Thanks!!
Campers4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #2

I see Two issues here.

First, the easy one. Yes, a large portion of your fresh water tank will slosh out the overflow tubes while driving. It is a known problem and there are several threads here about ways to close the overflow tubes as needed.

Second, you have a water leak inside your trailer. "water coming from UNDER the tub enclosure". That means a broken hose or valve body. Possibly just a loose connection. A straight-forward fix once the offending problem is identified.

I know my 19RD has an access panel for the plumbing to the tub. If you have similar, yank the panel and see if you can find the leak. Telling the tech exactly where you found the water leaking from will help.

Good luck!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #3

Now that the leak under the tub has been fixed, all you need to do is either clamp the overflow tubes while traveling, or join them together (like I did) for when traveling with water. You won't lose any this way. Just remember to unclamp/detach the two tubes after you get parked.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Now that the leak under the tub has been fixed, all you need to do is either clamp the overflow tubes while traveling, or join them together (like I did) for when traveling with water. You won't lose any this way. Just remember to unclamp/detach the two tubes after you get parked.
Thank you for your reply! How did you join them together while in travel?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I see Two issues here.

First, the easy one. Yes, a large portion of your fresh water tank will slosh out the overflow tubes while driving. It is a known problem and there are several threads here about ways to close the overflow tubes as needed.

Second, you have a water leak inside your trailer. "water coming from UNDER the tub enclosure". That means a broken hose or valve body. Possibly just a loose connection. A straight-forward fix once the offending problem is identified.

I know my 19RD has an access panel for the plumbing to the tub. If you have similar, yank the panel and see if you can find the leak. Telling the tech exactly where you found the water leaking from will help.

Good luck!
The tech said they fixed the leak, so we will test it out over thanksgiving !! Thank you for the reply; it's greatly appreciated
Old 10-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #6

I found a piece of hose that I had laying around that fit inside the overflow tube perfectly. I shoved one end of the joiner hose into an overflow tube and clamped it. It stays there permanently. Then when I want to join them, I just shove the other end into the other overflow tube. The joiner tube is about 6 inches long.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #7

Perfect! Thanks for the info, that's a great option.