Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReflection View Post
Thanks again...do you recall the model number of the front and rear sway bars?
I installed the Hellwig 7180 for the rear, and the Hellwig 7718 for the front.

Quote:
Also, I posted a request on another thread for comments on whether flat towing a GMC 2500HD 4x4 would be advisable with my J22. Haven't got any responses.
I saw that. My opinion is that would really be close, based on the max weight of 7500. I haven't seen anyone else tow that big of a truck with the smaller coaches.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I installed the Hellwig 7180 for the rear, and the Hellwig 7718 for the front.

I saw that. My opinion is that would really be close, based on the max weight of 7500. I haven't seen anyone else tow that big of a truck with the smaller coaches.
Yes, that was my concern as well. Being new to this MH stuff, I calculated the truck with gas and extras at 6265 lbs. Since the max is 7500 lbs. I thought it would be OK considering I would be adding $3,000 worth of TOAD equipment including a tow brake system to the GMC.

I thought being under the 7500 lb. max by 1235 lbs. would be OK but I guess I am missing something or just don't know what the effect of this would be on driving and safety.

I hear towing a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon 4x4 would be OK. They would be upwards of 5200 lbs with contents. That is why I was hoping for some comments.
SoulReflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #23

new 22j owner

something else, make sure your run your generator monthly with a load on it for 45 minutes to an hour. I use a small electric heater. doing this ,I have had zero problems with generator. also I use Onan oil 15w40 to keep warrenty safe.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #24

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
something else, make sure your run your generator monthly with a load on it for 45 minutes to an hour. I use a small electric heater. doing this ,I have had zero problems with generator. also I use Onan oil 15w40 to keep warrenty safe.
Thanks...I have been running for 20 minutes once or twice a month but not with a load. I will do as you say!
Old 03-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I thought being under the 7500 lb. max by 1235 lbs. would be OK but I guess I am missing something or just don't know what the effect of this would be on driving and safety.

I hear towing a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon 4x4 would be OK. They would be upwards of 5200 lbs with contents. That is why I was hoping for some comments.
From everything I've seen, you have to add all the weight up: truck, fuel load, towing hardware, cargo in the truck, cargo in the rig, etc. to stay safely in range. So the full size truck gets pretty close.

My wifey keeps telling me I need to bring a toad along, until I keep reminding her, we bought the shorter rig so we could be more nimble, and get in and out of parking lots easier, because we play tourist on every trip. We hardly ever stay in one campground more than one night.

Plus, none of our existing vehicles can be flat towed or dolly towed, they would need to go on a trailer, so buying another vehicle and all the towing hardware for rare use, I'll just rent a car when we get to our destination, if we don't want to move the rig.

You might want to start a thread and post your towing question in the Class C forum, as you'll get more responses, as many will see it there.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Thanks...I have been running for 20 minutes once or twice a month but not with a load. I will do as you say!
I think running the genny every month is overkill. As long as the gas was treated correctly, there shouldn't be any issues letting it sit a few months. I've run mine once during the Winter, and it started right up.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #27

mounting brackets add $100 plus tax and shipping.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #28

load is required per Onan to keep stater magnetized. run for at lease 45 min. better 1hr plus under load
Old 03-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
From everything I've seen, you have to add all the weight up: truck, fuel load, towing hardware, cargo in the truck, cargo in the rig, etc. to stay safely in range. So the full size truck gets pretty close.

My wifey keeps telling me I need to bring a toad along, until I keep reminding her, we bought the shorter rig so we could be more nimble, and get in and out of parking lots easier, because we play tourist on every trip. We hardly ever stay in one campground more than one night.

Plus, none of our existing vehicles can be flat towed or dolly towed, they would need to go on a trailer, so buying another vehicle and all the towing hardware for rare use, I'll just rent a car when we get to our destination, if we don't want to move the rig.

You might want to start a thread and post your towing question in the Class C forum, as you'll get more responses, as many will see it there.
I agree with you that a smaller MH could reduce your need for a TOAD. If it wasn't for me wanting to stay longer at more remote fishing sites, I wouldn't bother with a TOAD. But, one of my favorite pastimes is fishing and I want to take a 4 wheel drive vehicle and a 10' to 14' cartopper with me.

I have researched the curb (dry) weight of my 22J. It is 10,621 lbs. If I added the weight of a full tank of gas (55 gallons), 24 gallons of fresh water, full propane tank, 2-100 AMP SLA batteries, 200 lbs. (food, two small led TV's) and 250lbs. for my wife and I, the total for the MH is 11,795 lbs. Then I add the total weight of the 2500HD with full gas tank, boat, motor, spare 5 gal. propane tank and 100 lbs. for misc., I get a total weight for the two vehicles of 18,060 lbs. This is close to 4,000 lbs (2 tons) less than the 22,000 gross combined weight. I don't know what I am missing if its not possible to do this.

I did post this on the Class D forum yesterday and have had 56 view and no responses. I will try another post with the details I have just stated.