Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2017, 08:07 AM   #1

A Newbie

Hi guys, I am fairly new and just entering the market for an RV. Any suggestions?
MaxFalls44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFalls44 View Post
Hi guys, I am fairly new and just entering the market for an RV. Any suggestions?
You leave us with a lot of unanswered questions to help get you in the right direction. Children? How many? Local, statewide, national, international travel intent? Tow capacity of your vehicle? Full hookup verses rustic? Occasional or year around camping? Winter camping? Are you looking to buy a pop-up, hybrid, trailer, fifth wheel, motorhome? New or used RV? Let us know. We can help from our own personal experiences that come from answers to everyone of those questions I posed and more. Jerry.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

Welcome to the JOF. You didn't say what your previous experience level is so here's my take on it. Decide what your budget is first. Then decide if you want a towable - TT or 5er - or if you want a self contained driveable unit - MH. Then you can look at new or used and then at floorpans. How are you going to use it - weekends, part time or full time? Is it just you, you and a significant other or do you have an entire family? There are a lot of manufacturers and a zillion dealers all over this country. Do your research as you have a lot of decisions to make before you empty your wallet. The internet certainly allows you to shop around and see what's out there. Go on different forums and see what other owners have to say about their RV's. Make your decision based on the best information you have at the time you pull the trigger and you will be less likely to second guess yourself afterwards. Most manufacturers of new RV's offer a 1 year warranty whereas Jayco is 2 years. No matter what decision you make you are likely to have some issues but that is the nature of the beast so know that ahead of time and that's why you need to do your due diligence. There are lots of helpful folks out here who can answer any questions you might have so don't be afraid to ask. We all have done this at one time or another and we have all made mistakes. But this is a very fun lifestyle or we wouldn't be doing it. Good luck in your search.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #4

Welcome aboard from Northern Neck Virginia

We are avid tent campers from back in the 60s and 70s... Love camping back in the Natl Forest areas off the Forest Service roads... The Blue Ridge Parkway that run down through Virginia is the perfect Tent Camping experience...

In 2008 We got our OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer which fits right into the tent camping style of camping. Some times we setup both Tent camping and our POPUP trailer at the same sites...

I am into Ham Radio and all of that really fits into the Tent camping and POPUP trailer trailer style of camping.

In 2010 we looked at a JAYCO Jay Feather X213 but after really looking at it decided that TT trailers was not our cup of tea... Too many other things involved to pull them and all of the setup and other things to deal with. Followed a good friend with a TT unit and got to see firsthand what all they went through every day having one...

The RV Traveling was just not what we wanted to do. RV Camping usually within a couple hundred miles of where we live seems to be what we really like to do camping wise...

I am all setup to stay camping off-grid for a couple of weeks at a time and love waking up in the mornings creekside somewhere watching the fish jump in the stream and drinking my good ole cup of fresh ground and brewed Bean Coffee hehe...

So it all depends on what style of camping you all may want to be doing. If RV Traveling is what you all want to do things are not as simple to deal with on every trip. Watching my sister and her hubby do this first hand for a couple of years made me appreciate my simple off grid camping with my tents and small tent trailer setups...

This is us up on the SKYLINE DRIVE in Virginia...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #5

Welcome to the Jayco Owner's Forum. The advice given to you by those who have previously posted is excellent. Good luck.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote