Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2022, 04:33 PM   #1

A temp rv user

We bought a very well maintained 2008 Jayco Flight 28BHS. New tires, no leaks that we can see. Paid $9000. Seller had 30 people inquiring on it, we was 2nd in line on the calls. We have it in use for the son to live (temp). Converter went bad and we'll address that soon. This TT pulled nice with my 1 ton work van.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:46 PM   #2

Congratulations!

Water is your enemy! I recommend going up on the roof and check the caulking at touch it up. As mine aged, I needed to touch it up sometimes twice a year, until I applied eternabond.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Congratulations!

Water is your enemy! I recommend going up on the roof and check the caulking at touch it up. As mine aged, I needed to touch it up sometimes twice a year, until I applied eternabond.
The liquid stuff, roller, paint? This particular brand "Externabond"?
Old 09-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #4

Congratulations! Sounds like a great buy
Old 09-08-2022, 05:34 PM   #5

Etearnabond is a brand of tape with extremely sticky glue that is pretty much once and done. Not a brand of caulk or sealant. Many posts here on Etearnabond. I removed some or most of my old factory Dicor at year 4 finding a couple of surprises. One was that the Dicor sealant had been applied with a large bubble and rain might have gotten in there. A second place was on the front edge where the aluminum front meets the rubber roof. 1 missing screw and one that had broken off under the Dicor. In places Dicor looked good but was just laying there and not adhered to the rubber roof
I inspect my roof twice a year or after long trips but so far no problems!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #6

Eternabond is your friend!! You-tube has many videos on how to prep and apply. As other folks have said it’s darn near permanent , but I still check my roof a couple times a year. Water is definitely NOT your friend!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:35 PM   #7

One thing about eternabond, do not stretch it when you apply it. It will release in a day or so. Otherwise once it touches something it is stuck for life.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-09-2022, 05:48 AM   #8

Congrats!

Be careful using Eternabond tape on the roof. Only use it in areas that are permanent. That stuff has amazing adhesion and is almost permanent. For example I wouldn't use it on my roof around my penetrations (skylight, antena, etc) as those will need to be replaced at some point. I would use it along the edges of the roof and where the roof meets the front cap (where roof ends and metal or fiberglass starts).

Dicor is a popular self-leveling sealant (comes in a caulk tube) that you can use for re-sealing joints. It works well but I prefer 3M 4000uv. Has less shrink than Dicor and better UV protection. However it is not self-leveling to keep that in mind.

The key to using any of these products is prep. Have to get the area clean and remove all old sealant before applying anything new.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Be careful using Eternabond tape on the roof. Only use it in areas that are permanent. That stuff has amazing adhesion and is almost permanent. For example I wouldn't use it on my roof around my penetrations (skylight, antena, etc) as those will need to be replaced at some point. I would use it along the edges of the roof and where the roof meets the front cap (where roof ends and metal or fiberglass starts).

The key to using any of these products is prep. Have to get the area clean and remove all old sealant before applying anything new.
I'm from the other camp, I applied it almost everywhere. I have done everything but the gutter line, and the TV antenna. I would have done the TV antenna, but ran out of daylight and never went back to do it. As long as it is not stretched it is permanent until heat is applied.

Attached is an older Eternabond youtube clip, it starts off with removal of the old, but then goes into installing new. It also talks about primer, which I did not use. I just washed the roof very well. I did not remove the old caulking. I also did not caulk the edges of the eternabond once installed. Been on 5 years and have had zero issues.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #10

One has to wonder why none of the manufacturers use Eternabond at the build if it's so remarkable. There has to be a downside to how great it seems and seams.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:58 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I'm from the other camp, I applied it almost everywhere. I have done everything but the gutter line, and the TV antenna. I would have done the TV antenna, but ran out of daylight and never went back to do it. As long as it is not stretched it is permanent until heat is applied.

Attached is an older Eternabond youtube clip, it starts off with removal of the old, but then goes into installing new. It also talks about primer, which I did not use. I just washed the roof very well. I did not remove the old caulking. I also did not caulk the edges of the eternabond once installed. Been on 5 years and have had zero issues.

I've removed it in the past with a heat gun and a scraper. Definitely a pita, but certainly doable. I'd not hesitate to use it anywhere on the roof and agree, caulking the edges is redundant and a complete wsste of caulk and time.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
One has to wonder why none of the manufacturers use Eternabond at the build if it's so remarkable. There has to be a downside to how great it seems and seams.
Cost, both material and time.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-09-2022, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
X2
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Nice pun it seems! : )

Eternabond's not cheap or quick - it requires careful prep and application.
As with many RV components, it's too good for the factory to waste time on. : /
We always carry a roll of it and have used it generously.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:14 AM   #15

I keep my left over from doing the roof. Just in case I don't see that low hanging branch, hail or rock on a vent or skylight or even a crack in a window pane.

Like duct tape in the past, only way stronger bond!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote