Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2015, 12:19 AM   #31

Your 50 amp trailer has 100 amps of power available at 120 volts.
A 30 amp trailer has 30 amps of power available at 120 volts.

Check the breaker in the pedestal next time, it will be a double for your 50 amp service.

It's also why you have 4 plugs on a 50 amp service and 3 on a 30 amp. The extra plug is for the extra hot ....two hots on 50 amp, one hot on 30 amp, one neutral on each and one ground on each. Hope this clarifies, know it's very confusing.

To confuse you more.. a typical pedestal will have two hot wires coming in, then you will have one dual breaker 50 amp supplying the 50 amp plug, one 30 amp breaker supplying the 30 amp plug and one 20 amp breaker supplying the standard outlet. All coming off the two hot legs coming in. Breakers immediately above or below the next are on different legs, breakers across from each other are on the same leg. This is how your panel in a stick and brick home is also.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
You can probably use the AC and microwave at the same time if you run both the refrigerator and water heater on electric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Don't you mean "run both the refrigerator and water heater on propane"?
Thanks for catching that, SmokerBill. My brain must have been temporarily on vacation. As in my signature line, "There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. "

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #33

Wags, I can now see why each pedestal has 240 (to save wire by eliminating one neutral) and, being a General Contractor, I know how a typical service panel staggers the legs (1,3,5,7 on one side vs 2,4,6,8 on the other side) in a stick & brick home.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #34

Yep Ken, sometimes when I try to make it simple to understand, it just gets more complicated LOL Also a 100 amp single line with neutral and ground would be a Huge wire, much much harder to wind up than your current shore cord. I will say Electric and the difference between 30 amp rv's and 50 amp rvs are probably the most misunderstood part of an RV. When I tell people that you will have 1/3 the available power if you plug a 50 amp into a 30 amp outlet, they get that screen saver look in their eyes LOL

Spring is tomorrow. Camping around the corner ! Hope everyone has a great season, hope to see some of you along the road.