Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #1

Adding 3rd A/C

I have a 50 amp 314 bds Eagle. I have an a/c in the front bedroom and a ducted a/c in the main living area. The bunk room gets REALLY hot in 100+ temps at the lake where we keep our trailer. There is only 1 a/c vent to that room. Thinking about adding a 3rd a/c to the bunk room. Wondering if there is prewiring to the bunk room and if anyone has tried this! Thanks for suggestions!!
Robinsatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #2

Doubt there is any prewire for a third AC. Some big toy haulers or some pinnacles may have it but not the eagle. If you want to do this, you’ll probably need to have a separate shore power cord to the 20 amp plug at the pedestal powering the third AC.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #3

How about one of those Noggle vent hoses to push air to the bunks?

The Noggle - Making the Backseat Cool Again - Vehicle Air Conditioning System to Keep Your Kids Cool and Comfortable When Traveling in the Car - Works with Most Vehicles - 8ft, Grey Quatrefoil https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6MAHBE..._ffVlBbTAVNDVR
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Get a 12Volt duct fan and install it in the bunkhouse. You can get the 12Volts from the ceiling light wiring and add a pull chain switch to it so you can turn it on and off when needed.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
Site Team

I have heard of several who used a small fan to move air into that area successfully.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #6

My last rv bunk room was hard to cool. I put a small round 12v fan inside ea vent like goes inside a computer. Was able to get to light wires in ceiling, tied into those with switch. If kids were hot they could turn them on. No more complaints.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #7

Thanks, Magnolia Tom. I have several “open” bays in my breaker box. I’ve never pulled wire in the trailer, have you ever tried to string another wire from breaker box to the ceiling? I think amperage of main box could accommodate it, wouldn’t it?

I like some of the other posts about installing a 12v fan in duct, but I only have 1 duct, so the volume of air would still be limited.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:53 PM   #8

Saw this in Laughlin, NV. Thought the ice chest lid on top of the room unit was a nice touch. Third A/C.
Attached Thumbnails
3rd AC.jpg  
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinsatt View Post
Thanks, Magnolia Tom. I have several “open” bays in my breaker box. I’ve never pulled wire in the trailer, have you ever tried to string another wire from breaker box to the ceiling? I think amperage of main box could accommodate it, wouldn’t it?

I like some of the other posts about installing a 12v fan in duct, but I only have 1 duct, so the volume of air would still be limited.

No I haven’t tried to run any extra wiring to the breaker but in your case, I don’t think you’d need to go all the way to the breaker. The way I’ve seen adding an extra AC in the past is you run the wire from the AC to the side wall (usually thru a wire chase or inside some cabinets. Then add a Marinco 20 amp 110V connection port to plug an extension cord from the pedestal to your rig. Your third AC will only get power from the pedestal, not through your breaker box. So whenever you need 3 ACs running, you’ll have your shore power cord plugged into the 50 amp outlet and your extension cord (heavy duty) plugged into the 20 amp outlet.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...365-pc0xffffff

Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
No I haven’t tried to run any extra wiring to the breaker but in your case, I don’t think you’d need to go all the way to the breaker. The way I’ve seen adding an extra AC in the past is you run the wire from the AC to the side wall (usually thru a wire chase or inside some cabinets. Then add a Marinco 20 amp 110V connection port to plug an extension cord from the pedestal to your rig. Your third AC will only get power from the pedestal, not through your breaker box. So whenever you need 3 ACs running, you’ll have your shore power cord plugged into the 50 amp outlet and your extension cord (heavy duty) plugged into the 20 amp outlet.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...365-pc0xffffff
Wow! Great idea and thanks for your help, Magnolia Tom!
Old 06-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinsatt View Post
Wow! Great idea and thanks for your help, Magnolia Tom!

No problem. Good luck and be sure to post pics of your project [emoji3]