Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

Almost new Jayco owner

Not a Jayco owner yet but hopefully within the next month. We had a 1990 35 ft Mallard Sprinter BH on 20 acres of land we own about 30 minutes from our home. It was purchased used in 1996. We had a metal carport built over it and used it as our home away from home until winds flipped both the carport and camper forward in March of 2013. The camper was in almost new condition though 23 years old. It had always been parked and under cover so did not suffer the rattling that can happen when used for traveling. After nearly a year of settling with the insurance company while also getting my 90 y.o. father moved to be near us we finally had time to begin putting our little haven back together. We decided to put the "new" RV a bit further back from our creek than the previous one sat. After having someone come in and clear a new spot with a built up pad and moving the damaged camper off to the side we began our search for another RV. After many hours of internet searching and more hours of looking at actual used RVs at dealerships we found a 2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS. It appears to be in almost new condition and is being sold by the dealer who sold it new. It was traded in for a 5th wheel. We have put a deposit on it to hold it until we can get a definite date from the gentleman who will be building a pole barn over it for us. We had the old camper uprighted using two tow trucks to roll it back up as gently as possible in hopes it would not be totaled. Due to the age and thus decreased value it was declared totaled but we have been told it can be repaired fairly inexpensively to use as a guest cottage or storage. Once the new to us camper and pole barn are in place we will begin working on the old camper. For now I am reading as many postings as possible on here to learn about how things in have changed in the RV world and impatiently looking at photos of our almost ours Eagle. We have a bit to learn as our old camper was stick and tin, had no slideouts and the water heater was gas only. I have printed out the PDI check list from here as well as one other and given them to the dealer letting them know that our final acceptance of the 324BHDS will be dependent on the criteria listed. For those who remember the difference in quality of much older campers vs many made today, you can imagine our dismay as we began our search. The Eagle we found is the only one that seemed as solid as what we had. We are looking forward to getting our new to us unit set up and getting back to enjoying our home away from home. Oh! Almost forgot...."we" means DH, myself, our 26y.o. son, his new bride as of April 18th this year and our first grandchild expected in mid February and my now 91 y.o. father! That bunkhouse is going to come in handy.
NCMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #2

Welcome Aboard.

Sorry about the loss. But you are recovering.

I posted a comparison of moving up 32 years in tech. Your journey will be similar.

Only thing to be mindful with the new trailer is that it is never really off until you disconnect the battery and pull the shore power.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #3

Thanks, Mike! We have a well and added electricity a few years ago to the property where the TT is parked so really don't use a battery anymore. The dealership is delivering the TT for us so don't need battery for towing. I did mention to DH that the reading I am doing indicates that we might want to add a battery as it seems that without one the converter has to work harder. We did not use a battery for the old TT after we had the electricity brought in. We do disconnect power and water each time we leave.
NCMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote