Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #1

Another First Time Jayco Owner

Hello From Arizona! Just bought a 2012 Jayco Swift 264BH! First time buying using a TT. Had it about a week now. Paid $8500 for it here in AZ. Came with Eaz Lift WD, eaz lift anti sway bar and hitch.

Now I do have a few questions, I am worried about the towing. I tried to do some research on this but is a little over my head. I was reading some of the information on this site but still not understanding it.

I have a 2011 Titan with 2.94 gears (I think)
My GVWR is 7100 (from the sticker)

My dry weight of the trailer is 4400 ish lbs.

I am thinking I should be OK.

Just removed it from storage to test a few things for the first time. Sitting infront of my house. As its the weekend and first time looking it over (besides when I bought it) what should I confirm works/check/double check.

I don't know what to ask at this point as I really have no idea what to look for.

We do a lot of boondocking (just found this work here last week) and plan to go solar (300 watts big enough?) and 2 6V batteries. (after some information here on the site)

As I have it here on shorepower hooked up to a 30 Amp, can I run the AC and general power from the travel trailer?

What about Water? Can I just hook up me house to the "city water" inlet and turn on the shower/sink and try it?

Sorry for all the noob questions, just first timer and trying to test it all out before taking it out.

I know everyone likes pictures... so lets get to them!!

(anyone notice the difference with this layout?)

SoloCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
Site Team

[QUOTE=SoloCon;383324]
Now I do have a few questions, I am worried about the towing. I tried to do some research on this but is a little over my head. I was reading some of the information on this site but still not understanding it.
I have a 2011 Titan with 2.94 gears (I think)
My GVWR is 7100 (from the sticker)

My dry weight of the trailer is 4400 ish lbs.

I am thinking I should be OK.

The only place where you may have issues is in the mountains on the 6 and 7% inclines. the 2.92 is an economy gear and not one recommended for towing they usually are 3.50 to 4.11 depending on the load. Not sure as to how many gears your trans has but on some of the Ford (note I said Ford) forums there has been reports where the trans kept up and down shifting when not on a level road (small inclines). You should be able to adjust your driving habits to compensate for the gear ratio.

We do a lot of boon docking (just found this work here last week) and plan to go solar (300 watts big enough?) and 2 6V batteries. (after some information here on the site)

This is a loaded question... what 6 volt batteries are you getting (Ah rating). Example: for 2 Trojan T105 batteries (220Ah) it should do just fine, as long as you do not discharge the batteries below 12VDC (about the 50% level). A clear shot at the sun, with no shade. Sunny days and not mostly cloudy days. The summer season will be fine, but as you get to fall, winter, spring the sun is at a lower angle and the panel output is affected. Since installing SOLAR , my TT's battery charge controller has been shut off.

As I have it here on shorepower hooked up to a 30 Amp, can I run the AC and general power from the travel trailer?

Did you just change the breaker in the houses power distribution panel to 30 amps and change the outlet to an RV 30 amp outlet? If not, if you do not use your AC you should be ok. Proper wire AWG for 30 amps?

What about Water? Can I just hook up me house to the "city water" inlet and turn on the shower/sink and try it?

I did not see where you are located. Hooking up the water from the house will be fine, but if you are in an area that has freezing temperatures you need to winterize the plumbing after you are finished.. blow the water out of the pipes, empty the hot water heater, drain the holding tanks.. put some pink RV antifreeze in the drains... but as long as your can get all the water out, it should be fine

JOF has a SOLAR social group "RVing with SOLAR", that may answer a few of your questions regarding batteries and SOLAR.

Good Luck, and most importantly HAVE FUN...

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote