Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #1

Another propane tank

Just got back from first trip and nearly run out of propane. I have a 2015 Seneca 37rb, Am thinking of adding a satellite tank between frame rails behind axle as there is plenty of space under there. Has any body done this???
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #2

You have a 56 lb tank, it may be easier to just check the level and fill when needed. Most campgrounds, or close to them, has places that can fill your tank. I have never needed propane and not been able to find it easily. Adding another tank may only mean you run out of even more propane. After a few trips you should be able to know approximately how long your tank will last, depending on furnace needs etc. Your furnace probably uses more propane than any other single item.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #3

I'm by far not an expert in this area however, I would be afraid that if one was to run over debris on the road such as what is sometimes referred to as an alligator (long strip of tractor trailer steel belted tire as an example) was to be flung up striking the propane tank by possibly knocking a hole in it while sparking it's way to a possible disaster.

I think such should only be installed in areas that are specified by the manufacturer.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #4

During the trip the furnace quite working completely (on a brand new unit) woke up to 50 degrees inside with snow coming down outside and getting colder. Had to cut trip short 2 days I checked tank level once I got home it was just above empty don't know if we would have had enough to last 2 more days as we were quite far off the beaten path in the Rockies, so looking for advice how to be out longer
Old 05-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2retire&drive View Post
During the trip the furnace quite working completely (on a brand new unit) woke up to 50 degrees inside with snow coming down outside and getting colder. Had to cut trip short 2 days I checked tank level once I got home it was just above empty don't know if we would have had enough to last 2 more days as we were quite far off the beaten path in the Rockies, so looking for advice how to be out longer
I bet that tank will last 10 days to two weeks even using the furnace. We travel in the rockies almost every year, I dare say most any place you can find gasoline you can find propane very close by. If your boon docking for longer than a few weeks in cold weather it may be easier to get a couple of 20 or 30 lb tanks and a hose connection for them. You can often find local propane companies that will deliver propane right to you also, unless your so far off the beaten path. If your pulling a toad you could use the toad to take your portable tank to be filled when your picking up food etc.

I would speak with your dealer about where is an appropriate place to add an additional tank. I would want to make sure it will pass any DOT requirements also.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2retire&drive View Post
Just wondering....

Were you in a campground with electrical hookups or boondocking? If boondocking, was all your other 12v stuff working when the furnace quit?

Was your propane tank filled just before heading off the beaten path?

Did your furnace begin working after you left/got home or is it still not working?

When the furnace quit, could you still cook with propane?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #7

Another thing, you say brand new unit, did you fill the tanks before heading out? The dealership may have never topped off the tanks to begin with.

Sent via Tapatalk
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Just wondering....

Were you in a campground with electrical hookups or boondocking? If boondocking, was all your other 12v stuff working when the furnace quit?

Was your propane tank filled just before heading off the beaten path?

Did your furnace begin working after you left/got home or is it still not working?

When the furnace quit, could you still cook with propane?
Yup we were boondocking , fridge, stove all kept working and the gauge registered full when we started. When we got on site whenever the furnace tried to fire it would go on and off and took an hour to go from 55 degrees to 65, thermostat also would not hold temp always crept up to 72 ( must be the default). When the furnace finally quit the diode on the furnace flashed 3 times paused and kept blinking 3 times indicating pilot lock out fault so at the dealer now, Other than wet carpet at the corners of the rear bedroom slide quite happy with the unit like all new equipment,houses or vehicles allways have some bugs to work out