Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #1

Another question

We pick up our new trailer next week and I must admit we are like kids at Christmas.....cant wait!!!

As such, we have been shopping for the things we think we need for the day it arrives. We are actually heading out that same day. I have looked at some of the lists of things you need on the forum and they are extremely helpful. Having said that, I am sure we will miss several things...ah well its all part of the fun

This will be our first trailer with any kind of plumbing/water system. I was at an RV store and noticed they sell a special type of toilet tissue specifically for trailers (and boats).

Is this something I need? Do others use it? The reason I ask is its very expensive and where I live, not available anywhere nearby.

I am wondering if there is any kind of treatment chemical that may solve the problem. I will get the stuff if thats what everyone recommends, just wanted to hear what others say/do

thanks a bunch

J&C
A big dog
2008 HD Ultra
Leeburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #2

We've always used septic-safe TP - which when you look at it appears to simply be two-ply with no special, plush, comfy stuff to go along with it. Being a guy, it never bothered me much.

To be honest, I always discouraged anything solid going into the toilet. After all (we've practiced) if you need to have a good 'sit', use the available facilities at the campground, unless they look like a rest-stop in Northern France.

And, to be delicate, I've also always asked the ladies to deposit their goodies, well wrapped in paper, in the garbage can. This would get emptied daily, and simply became part of the routine. No one seemed to have any issue with that and it wasn't as terrible as it sounds.

We also use a non-formaldehyde chemical (can't remember the name & I'm too lazy to go to the trailer to get it) which I pick-up at Canadian Tire. It's much cheaper than anything at the RV centre. Before I empty the black tank, I fill it as much as I can to help flush everything out. Some say after emptying the tank to toss in some hot water and a bit of dishwashing soap & let it slosh around as you drive to keep things clean, but I've never done this. I've also heard that some campgrounds also request that no chemicals go into the dump-station, but again, not my experience.

So -- everyone's different & deals with waste differently. Our trailer was 10 years old and even with all this care, the sensors were always wildly inaccurate anyway. I think the most important thing is making sure you give 'er a good flush with lots of water and you'll be fine!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #3

As far as buying items you think you need, you may want to wait until you take delivery. The dealership supplies you with a "Goodie Bag" that have some items you could get by with on the first outting.
We used their "Goodie Bag" which was actually a box of items on our first trip and wrote down what we really wanted to replace and MUST have's. They also gave us a 15% discount on all items purchased the day we took delivery.

We came up with this list
1) Sewer hoses. 1 hose of 20 feet and another of 10 feet.
2) Water pressure regulator. This is used to keep water pressure around 40psi if I remember.
3) Level Blocks http://www.amazon.com/LYNX-EZ-Levele...2059969&sr=8-1
4) 25 foot water hose
5) Wheel Chocks http://www.adventurerv.net/bal-delux...hock-p-93.html
6) 50amp to 30amp adapter. We have only used it once, but very glad I had it
7) 25 foot extension cord capable of 30 amps. Expensive, but you will be glad you bought a good one.

Most of this stuff you can purchase at a Wal-Mart. Extension cord may need to purchased at a Home Depot or Lowe's.

As for the toilet paper, we buy the single-ply paper. We use some chemicals to keep the odor to a minimum. As long as you use plenty of water during a flush, you can keep the tank pretty clean.
We did buy a wand tank rinser http://www.adventurerv.net/camco-fle...ers-p-541.html

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #4

LOL...never thought to mention the sewer hose. We were in line waiting to get to the dump-station on our way out of a site, when the guy in front of us simply pulled up, opened up the cap to septic and let 'er rip directly out of the black tank without a sewer hose. When his tank was empty he grabbed the hose and tried to wash everything down (doesn't work so well). Needless to say we were NOT impressed.

OurJayco is right-on-the-money with his list. Those are some really basic things that will save you trouble in the end. Good luck!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
Old 04-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #5

Thats terrific help guys, thank you very much.

Been doing a considerable amount of reading on the subject as well. Good point to wait and see what comes with the trailer when we pick it up next week. Most of the things we are collecting relate to non-mechanical items such as general staples...linens, ketchup, cleaning stuff, etc...We also upgraded the mirrors on the truck and we will be getting an education on weight distributing hitches at my dealer. The web and specifically some YouTube info is great for understanding how they work.

For the most part, we too will use the campground facilities as much as possible. Having said that, we have booked a seasonal site with full electric(30 amp), water and sewer. We've met a few of the "veterans" already and they have been extremely helpful as well. One piece of advice they gave us was to leave the gray water valve open versus the black water valve. My understanding is there is one hose that goes from the trailer into the sewer connection at the site. At the trailer, you can have either the gray water or black water tank on constant drain depending on the valve position. The recommendation is to let the black water tank essentially fill up and then drain it all at once. This is to prevent any kind of buildup of solids in the black water tank and avoids the subsequent "fun" of cleaning it out.

One thing I will say, the people we have met and the folks on this forum have all been exceptionally helpful. It gives us a great feeling to know we are joining a community such as this. It was one of the reasons we decided to take a more serious interest in RVing and so far we have been delighted.

I will give an update on the "shake down" trip. It will be quite a change from coleman lanterns and the canvas smell (which we happen to like) to carpeting, microwave and an oven!!!

Cheers and thanks again for the advice.

J&C
A big dog
2008 HD Ultra
Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #6

I am not so sure I would leave the gray water tank valve open all the time. I use the gray water to rinse the hose. I empty the black tank first, then open the gray water to help clean out the hose.
I do not have a seasonal site, so I can not say for sure. Just my two cents worth.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #7

Like Daryl and Sandy, we also keep the gray tank closed and use it to flush out the hose once we have dumped the black tank (which even if less than 1/2 tank, we will add water to fill it to 2/3 full prior to dumping). Often while traveling, we might stay at a campsite for only four days, so that's why we may not have as much in our black tank. We have occasionally put a little soap with some water in the black while we drive, but not always.

We have never used chemicals in our black tank and we don't seem to have oders (so far anyhow). Also, our black sensor has never worked right, but you can see down the commode and be able to tell if it's full enough to dump.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #8

Upon further review (feel like Im watching a hockey game) I think it makes sense to follow what you folks are telling us. Let the gray and black water tanks fill to say 3/4, empty the black water first then let the gray water "rinse" the hose. I would most likely add some fresh water and do a further dump/rinse.

If I think about this logically it makes the most sense

Thanks a bunch everyone
A big dog
2008 HD Ultra
Old 04-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #9

Howdy LeeBurn,
I agree with the others about leaving both gray and black tank valves shut until you are ready to dump.
As far as the TP is concerned, I have used the RV special paper, but understand that any septic tank approved paper could be used. It is suggested that you wad up some TP and place it in a jar with water. Shake the jar for some time and see if the TP starts to dissolve. If it does, it is supposed to be safe for RV use, which makes sense. The last thing you want is the dreaded pooh pyramid clogging up the works.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #10

Leeburn, don't be afraid to do some dry-camping at the provincial parks. There's plenty of wonderful camping throughout any of the Ontario Parks along the lakes - for a weekend or so you can pull it off no problem with just the battery and a full tank of water (available when you get to the park). Dry camping will save you about $10-15.00 a night on the provincials.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
Old 04-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #11

Thanks McMonk.

We do have plans to do dry camping. We spent a lot of time in provincial parks with the tent trailer and really enjoyed it. For the most part we book sites with hydro and will fill the tanks (and dump) at the parks.

We are also planning an east coast trip this summer
A big dog
2008 HD Ultra