Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #1

Question Anti-sway bars and steering stabilizer for Alante 31V?

Hi Everyone,
We're in the process of purchasing an Atlanta 31V and saw some posts about adding Roadmaster anti-sway bars and a steering stabilizer to improve handling. When I mention this to the dealer, was informed that I didn't need the anti-sway bars because the JRide suspension already had them, still need to check on the steering stabilizer. Thoughts?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #2

Most likely they are referring to the factory installed rear sway bar.

If your chassis has the aftermarket add-ons available we recommend a front sway bar, both front and rear track bars, the steering stabilizer (Safe-T-Plus) as you mentioned, and Koni, or Bilstein Comfort shocks for the best handling package money can buy.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Drive it first for a while to see what you think of the ride quality. After doing the CHF, it's handles much better. I have a Road Master steering stabilizer sitting in my garage to install but imho other than strong cross-winds (35+ mph) I've learned view to compensate for the chassis' willingness to be pushed across the lane, like when a semi passes you.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:38 AM   #4

Sorry, really new to this, but what is "CHF"? Thanks
Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryn View Post
Sorry, really new to this, but what is "CHF"? Thanks
Cheap Handling Fix. A do it yourself adjustment to reduce the sway and rocking motion https://youtu.be/jlIrHIWbZoA
Old 01-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #6

Great, thanks! Looks like I need to pick up a new language...
Old 01-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #7

31V Sway Bars

I just purchased a new Alante 31V the end of November and drove it from CO to UT on US80 through WY. 40+ crosswinds and lots of trucks for my first trip. Was pleasantly surprised I kept it between the white lines with little difficulty. I am considering the steering stabilizer as it seems to make sense. I plan to make a few more trips before deciding on aftermarket sway bars. I am having the alignment and wheel balance checked by Ford before my next trip because of vibration around 65 mph.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #8

Great, thanks! I was hoping to hear from a recent buyer.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryn View Post
Great, thanks! I was hoping to hear from a recent buyer.
I am a chronic researcher, spent 9 months looking and driving various MH's before deciding on the Alante. Then it was the pricing challenge and finding the right one. I have signed up for RV Repair to get tips on the operational aspect of the MH and also RV Trip Advisor to plot trips. I have watched several "Gone with the Wynns" videos, most recently their experience fitting their class A with Roadmaster sway bars and steering stabilizer. I am going to talk with the Ford shop about sway bars when I am in for alignment and balancing in two weeks. They do a lot of Ford chassis motor homes in our area. I will pass on what they have to say.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:27 AM   #10

Great, thanks! Appreciate anything I can pick up from others who have some time on the road.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #11

Sway Bar update

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
I am a chronic researcher, spent 9 months looking and driving various MH's before deciding on the Alante. Then it was the pricing challenge and finding the right one. I have signed up for RV Repair to get tips on the operational aspect of the MH and also RV Trip Advisor to plot trips. I have watched several "Gone with the Wynns" videos, most recently their experience fitting their class A with Roadmaster sway bars and steering stabilizer. I am going to talk with the Ford shop about sway bars when I am in for alignment and balancing in two weeks. They do a lot of Ford chassis motor homes in our area. I will pass on what they have to say.
I too have been watching reports on Alante 31V upgrades. We made our maiden voyage of 1100 miles with only steering stabilizer added. I did notice that we got pushed around a little by semi's passing, and a little (lot) tail wag when in the dead air space of semi's. I plan to do the CHF for front end but not sure what to do for back end. We usually had a jeep liberty or enclosed trailer in tow, so the tail wag has to go away. Am interested in what you found about addressing rear end upgrades.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote