Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

Question Back Up Camera?

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and to travel trailers. I recently purchased a 2010 Jayco Jayflight 26 BH and I want to add a back up camera. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations? I am a bit intimidated by the whole thing but backing up is a true challenge. Any help would be appreciated.
Bcingya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #2

Been thru those far to many times and finally figured out WiFi is a waste and a unfulfilled promise.

Best way is to hard wire, perfect pic ever time.

Tapped into the juice at the center upper running lights on the rear. Fed wire down on ladder and under my rig. Put a slip connection on and plug in. Monitor sets on console, is hard wired down and under and back up thru the sliding rear window in my truck. Push to connect and drive.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #3

See the link in my signature. Different trailer but it might help you out.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #4

Concur with hardwire

I also went with a hardwire backup camera system to eliminate the possibility of interference. The thought if installatin may sound intimidating, but really more tedious than anything else.

I went with the Review Safety System that is sold by COSTCO online. Components seemed well made, and so far one year of flawless service. The monitor in the kit actually accepts three video inputs so besides the trailor camera I installed an OEM backup camera in my tow vehicle.

Ran all of the wiring external, using the gray plastic conduit from Home Depot as the place to run the wiring underneath from the rear of the trailer to the front of the trailer. Very easy!! Chose to run the tow vehicle portion of the wirng under the vehicle using the zip ties provided in the kit. But you certainly can run the wires down the bed and thru the cab for a quicker install. The coiled interconnect cable provided in the kit allows for a quick and easy hookup/disconnect of the trailer video cable to the tow vehicle

Having the camera on the trailer not only helps for backing up, but also gives you great visibility to the rear when driving down the road. Helps confirm that you have cleared a vehicle that you are passing before pulling back in to the right lane.
2son5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

Sorry, can't help you with the backup camera products as I built my system from scratch.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

I just installed this one on my trailer and truck.

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FOS48...ilpage_o05_s00

Based on the reviews on this forum I went with this unit because of it's high speed stability so it can be used as a rear view while driving as well.

The camera I put in place of the center marker light and will turn on when the lights are turned on. So for it to work I will just need to turn the lights on in the truck during the day. At night they come on automatically.

The monitor gets power as soon as I turn the key on in the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1807.JPG   IMG_1811.JPG   IMG_1814.JPG  
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

I have the same camera as ScarabChris. Works great! Not a bad price for a wireless.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

Check out this one. Just got mine and it looks like it will do the job. Low price as well.

iBallhitchcam.com - iBall Wireless Trailer Hitch Camera
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup camera, jayflight 26bh, newbie help, tips